Capo discovery I made

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
soltirefa

Capo discovery I made

Post by soltirefa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:00 am

When I capo the 1st fret I often get a slight buzz on either the 4th or 5th string, or sometimes both. It has always discouraged me from using a capo. I don't know what causes it. A couple theories are that the fingerboard has a very slight radius to it, or that the transition between the thickest string down to a thinner one makes the strings between not get pressed down as much.

The discovery - I tried cutting a small piece of a business card and placed it on top of the offending string before putting on the capo. With trial and error I found that it's actually better to cover more than just the string with the buzz. On my 7-string the business card covers strings 6-4, and on my 10-string it covers 7-4. It totally solves the problem. Now the sound of the guitar is even and solid.

When I was sure it worked I used rubber cement to attach the piece of business card to my capo to make putting the capo on easy. Rubber cement can easily be rubbed off when you're done with it, so no worries there.

RobMacKillop

Re: Capo discovery I made

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 am

Are you absolutely sure you have a classical-guitar capo and not a steel-string capo? One is curved to match the freboard, the other is straight. I use Shubb capos: easy to put on, adjustable in grip.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:02 pm

I would also be interested in the Capo you are using. The classical capos are obviously flat whereas steel string capos have a noticeable curve in them.

Like Rob, I have had a lot of success with the Shubb capos. Plus you can buy spare rubbers if you ever wear them out (not that I have worn one out yet on either classical or steel strings guitars). Perhaps a change in brands could also help?

tnn

Post by tnn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I use a Thalia capo. It has inserts for the fretboard radii of various manufacturers and models, plus a flat insert for classical guitars.

Rob

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:35 pm

I have a Shubb C2 for classical guitar and an Elliott custom made capo for my 10-string classical guitar.

It's not the type of capo that is my issue. I have tried several makers'.

This buzz-sound I refer to is subtle. I could use the capo as is, but I want it to sound like a guitar without a capo.

artguy

Post by artguy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

When you use a capo, you don't have any open strings, only fretted ones.
So, it will never sound like a guitar without a capo.

Return to “Public Space”