Really Good Classical Piece composed by Ivor Mairants

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Really Good Classical Piece composed by Ivor Mairants

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 pm

This is a Homage To Mompou, a leading Catalan composer in the 20th century, known for his "discrete" music, a Spanish Satie of sorts (in case you don't know him).

Ivor Mairants was the leading jazz and dance-band guitarist in the UK for a few decades, and of course author of many guitar books of varying quality.

So, a jazz musician giving a homage to a classical composer. The intro is quite bluesy, but in a non-obvious way. At one point the music speeds up a little, then a Spanish dance enters, the "Jota" before the outro. Lots of jazz chords along the way, yet without sounding jazzy.

I received this score yesterday, worked on it yesterday evening and late this afternoon. It's an extraordinary piece, which I'lll return to at some point. I just wanted to give my first reading of it, and admit there are one or two small errors in the performance. I learned from some Ivor Mairants books when I was a teenager, so it's good to see a mature composition from him. I believe this might be the first recording of it.

https://youtu.be/b3ZsnewLRJk

Conall

Re: Really Good Classical Piece composed by Ivor Mairants

Post by Conall » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Very nice & jazzy Rob!
Very nice to meet you and your wife today too. You have a fascinating musical story / background.
Keep the videos coming....you never know, I might post one one day too....

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Nice to meet you too, and your new guitar. Let's have an NGD from you soon!

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Excellent, I hope you keep exploring Ivor's output, definitely a composer and arranger with an interesting musical journey, and very influential in his time.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 pm
Nice to meet you too, and your new guitar. Let's have an NGD from you soon!
New Guitar Day?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Conall - yes. You get banned from the forum if you don't...

Sxedio - again on my archtopguitar.net site I have a page devoted to him.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 pm
Conall - yes. You get banned from the forum if you don't...
Aaargh pressure, pressure.

So despite my very poor recording skills, budget Tascam DR-40, obsessive pickyness about extraneous noises & looking for that flawless performance - I'm going to have to post a video of me playing a guitar with 11 strings I still haven't got my head around nevermind fingers?

Not long ago I tried to record myself playing on 8 string guitar my arrangement in the original key of the sarabande from the 1st JSB cello suite on my humble DR-40. I think I sat for about 2-3 hours & did about 48 takes (plenty of them false starts): 16 bars only & a piece I knew by heart! I managed to get through the entire piece a number of times but each instance had something I didn't like, be it a squeak, scratch, slightly too weak or strong note, "wrong" timbre etc.

I'll have to get over my OCD. I also need a simple piece that demonstrates the extra basses - maybe I'll write something. In the meantime I'll maybe just take a picture of the guitar & post it..... otherwise I might get thrown out of Delcampland & while that might be a relief for some Delcampers I'd miss (eg your) posts!

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 am

sxedio wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 pm
Excellent, I hope you keep exploring Ivor's output, definitely a composer and arranger with an interesting musical journey, and very influential in his time.
Eric Hill has recorded some of his pieces. Available for download at http://www.erichillguitardownloads.co.u ... age-01.htm

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am

Conall - you don't have to record anything for an NGD. Just photos and description.

Les - I was in touch with Eric a couple of weeks ago about those recordings. Really excellent playing. Too bad he doesn't really play anymore.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am
Conall - you don't have to record anything for an NGD. Just photos and description.
Ah, OK, I'm new to this NGD game.....

Will do..

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

By the way, I abandoned the need for perfection long ago. There is not one video I've done which doesn't have a mistake in it. I know I'll never play a piece without making a mistake or three. I can live with it because it's genuine, that's the way I am, no point in hiding it. But I know that 95% of the people who listen to what I do will not notice it, and of the 5% that do, most hopefully see the bigger picture. If not, c'est la vie. Of course, if I make a CD, I would do a few takes and edit a note here and there, but a video is another thing altogether. I think it's great that future historians will be able to see exactly how people played. Viewers prefer honesty.

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am
By the way, I abandoned the need for perfection long ago. There is not one video I've done which doesn't have a mistake in it. I know I'll never play a piece without making a mistake or three. I can live with it because it's genuine, that's the way I am, no point in hiding it. But I know that 95% of the people who listen to what I do will not notice it, and of the 5% that do, most hopefully see the bigger picture. If not, c'est la vie. Of course, if I make a CD, I would do a few takes and edit a note here and there, but a video is another thing altogether. I think it's great that future historians will be able to see exactly how people played. Viewers prefer honesty.
Yes, I know I need to become either less fussy about my own recordings or improve the cleanliness of my playing by 100%.....

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Conall wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

So despite my very poor recording skills, budget Tascam DR-40,
Conall wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

Not long ago I tried to record myself playing on 8 string guitar my arrangement in the original key of the sarabande from the 1st JSB cello suite on my humble DR-40.
DR-40 is pretty good. No reason to use something more expensive unless you are a pro level player with a pro instrument and most importantly playing in a room with brilliant acoustics.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Conall IS a pro-level player with a pro-level instrument.

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm
Conall IS a pro-level player with a pro-level instrument.
Ha! You are most kind Rob: pro level instrument indeed but it will be months on the 11 string before I can play anything to the level I might have been on 6 or 8 strings.
Playing 6 string music isn't that hard on the 11 string but it's not exploiting its added capability so there's not much in recording that.

I have an AKG 1000s mono mic. Perhaps if I buy another & feed both into the DR-40 & find a decent acoustic I might record something half decent using those extra basses in a few months!

Return to “Public Space”