A stunned Wigmore Hall at the New Elizabethan Award Showcase on Saturday

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Fretful

A stunned Wigmore Hall at the New Elizabethan Award Showcase on Saturday

Post by Fretful » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm

There were intriguing anomalies in this extended lunchtime concert at the Wigmore Hall on Saturday 9 February 2019 at 1.00 pm; the NEA (New Elizabethan Awards) were mainly supported by Greensill Capital, an Australian Company, and all the winners were … wait for it … Australian! There is here no hint that the Daniel judges would have been biased, just an amusing coincidence.
https://wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/ne ... 1902091300

Many of the elite and guitar obsessed audience were also puzzled by the fact that one of the three winners in an essentially guitar-orientated competition was an accompanied singer, but then the Elizabethan period (albeit of course entirely lute-driven at the time) was steeped in that tradition; the fact that no Australian dancer was included in the festivities was a welcome omission.

The overall winner had been Jesse Flowers, so his hands bore the responsibility of playing the big guns of the mirrored periods of the two Elizabeths (First and Second): Elizabethan (Dowland/Shakespeare) and modern Elizabethan (Benjamin Britten/Robert Devereux, together with Brett Dean and the desperately missed Phillip Houghton). The Fancies and Ayres by Dowland and the Nocturnal by Britten were played with domineering authority as Flowers’ technique blossomed under the heat of a passion developed in the musical hothouses of the Antipodes. And yet one could have wondered where was the heart in all that solar wind and clean-cut tonal blaze perhaps inhibited in the treble by high tension strings? Nevertheless, another great new ambassador for the instrument already striding the world in the early stages of a highly promising career.

Andrey Lebedev may have played second fiddle but proved to be a perfect accompanist (a cruely underrated craft) always judging the moments at which he should project and shine, or lean back in his seat and allow his newish Redgate to support and embellish – if not, regrettably, subdue the day’s main attraction.

Lotte Betts-Dean, also hotfoot from the other side, exploded on the Wigmore’s genteel scene and it must have been quite hard for the attendants at the back to keep the doors closed and protected from the blast. There is no questioning her technique or vocal attributes but there was at the reception, afterwards, much debate as to whether indeed there is, in the modern era, room for that particular tradition of performance where all aspects are over-articulated, over-emphasised, over-sung, over-grimaced, over-gestured, over-agonised … but I am over-writing. Lotte Betts-Dean’s magnificent somewhat equine presence (in the Verrocchio sense) emphasised by a mannered portage of the head which occasionally evoked Colleoni’s self-assurance, is really over-powering and one began to worry about possible damage to the cochleae (there had been no erstwhile warning together with the reminders about coughing, mobile phones, and hearing aids – wearers had been instructed to set their implements to “T” which, hopefully took the proceedings into account).

I leave it to the great Hergé to give a final impression of the state in which the audience left a concert which, once more, reassured the doubting Thomases that the guitar is alive and well, and in stronger (if not warmer) hands than ever before.
Les 7 Boules de cristal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fretful on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Shibe

Re: A stunned Wigmore Hall at the New Elizabethan Award Showcase on Saturday

Post by Sean Shibe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Fretful wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm
I am in danger of over-writing.
could you give more detail please?
what kind of strings do you use though

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Hilarious - is that you with the monocle?

Thanks for another much appreciated review Fretful; the Wigmore is a little out of reach for us northerners.

I was encouraged by your somewhat barbed report (Piazza San Marco will ever more echo to the sound of a slightly flat mezzo) to seek out Ms. Betts-Dean on the tube. Possibly thankfully I instead found Lebenev - she was there, tacit, reloading for a second assault - he performing a Dowland Fantasia, itself characterised by a somewhat robust approach perhaps in preparation for what he knew was to come ...

They look to have an interesting repertoire nonetheless - Songs from the Chinese for instance, which I've not heard for quite some time now, might suit her well - just have to remember to keep eyes firmly closed.

EDIT: I have just read the programme which informs me that it was in fact Britten's Songs from the Chinese that you, ahem, enjoyed - I had assumed Dowland songs. Silly me.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:50 pm

Sean Shibe wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm
Fretful wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm
I am in danger of over-writing.
could you give more detail please?
Amendment made, and made amends.
Thank you Sean.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm
is that you with the monocle?
No, I am the dog! And probably now in the doghouse.

mcg

Post by mcg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm

No, I am the dog! And probably now in the doghouse.
Deservedly so! :D

mcg

Post by mcg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Many of the elite and guitar obsessed audience were also puzzled by the fact that one of the three winners in an essentially guitar-orientated competition was an accompanied singer
More please. I always enjoy classical guitar played as an ensemble instrument and would love to see more ensemble playing introduced to 'guitar concert' programmes. Sometimes I find myself wondering why we torture ourselves to get melodies and voices out of a solo guitar when it sometimes makes so much more sense to 'park' the melody with a separate solo instrument (or voice). Plus I wonder just where solo guitar has left to go, whereas guitar ensembles have potential for development and interest.

I am really fond of recorder/guitar ensembles and that combo (with endless possible repertoire) would have been nice in an Elizabethan concert.

Return to “Public Space”