"Homage To The Romantic Spanish Guitar"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
tateharmann

Re: "Homage To Cataluña"

Post by tateharmann » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Rolf Lislevand's French baroque lute album, "La Belle Homicide" has some bird and other ambient sounds in the recording. I don't mind it one bit!
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Yes, but those French birds are more soothing than our Scottish birds!

Careful now.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Haha :)
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 am

Interesting thread Rob, I'm looking forward to this.
RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:52 pm
Yes, but those French birds are more soothing than our Scottish birds!
Bloody starlings!
:roll: :D
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:46 am

Cheers, ded.

RobMacKillop

Re: "Homage To The Spanish Guitar"

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 am

Both Lagrima and Marietta now in the bag.

Now contemplating my homage to include Valencia as well, on three main counts: the guitar is from a Valencian workshop, Tárrega was born in a Valencian province, and I'd love to record music by Asencio and Marco, both Valencian-born.

But then there are also two pieces by Segovia - Oracion and Neblina - which I cherish very much.

Maybe Homage to the Spanish Guitar would be a more all-encompassing title, but also targeted directly at the instrument itself.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 am

isn't the title "Homage To The Spanish Guitar" a little too "wide" in it's meaning ? Yes, I understand the idea, adding Valencia and "Valencianas" to Catalonia, but remembering how this thread and idea begun, what about: "Homage To The Spanish Guitar from the times of Torres" ?
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am

Great project, Rob !
Congratulations :bravo:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am
UPDATE.

I would add an extract from one of the files if I could figure out how to do it. I clicked the Attachments tab, but it doesn't seem to allow mp3 files.
A very inspiring Topic, Rob, I'm following it, thank you :D.

As for posting an mp3 file you have to:
  1. store it first on a cloud drive (DrobBox, Google Drive,...),
  2. point to it and press the right button of the mouse in order to extract its URL link,
  3. position the mouse pointer in your post where you want to put the file and,
  4. Click at the editing tool "Insert URL" (it looks like a chain with only two rings) and
  5. fill its fields like this:
    [url"=the URL link of the mp3 file extracted from the cloud drive]put here the name of the file[/url]

(in reality, you should not put the " before the = in the [url"=…, I just put it there to make sure that the Forum software does not apply the command and prevents you to see how to use the tool)
And that is all. Good luck! :D
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 pm
I hope to record Lagrima and Marietta (by Tárrega) tonight...
Hi Rob:

Concerning Lagrima (by Tárrega), I learned it via Mel Bay's publication "Best of Tarrega", edited by Joseph Castle. In this edition, the piece has only the two well known parts, A and B, and is indicated to be played as AA-BB-A. Now, some four years ago, when I went to Madrid to acquire my Camps, I came across a SONETO edition of Tarrega's works in various volumes - the Editor being Mr. Melchor Rodríguez - as indicated in the picture below (the common back of all five volumes).

SEM Tárrega's edition.jpg

The first three titles correspond to Volumes I - III, the fourth title, "31 Piezas Originales (3 inéditas)", takes up Volumes IV and V. The "175 Transcripciones (75 inéditas) has not yet been published. According to an e-mail I received from the Editor's son, the pieces were already revised by his father, but the fact is that the Transcriptions are not in SONETO catalogue.

Volume III is dedicated to Tárrega's Preludes and Lagrima is in page 31 (S.E.M. n.º 20). This score of Lagrima, beyond sections A and B, also has a third section, C, and, if I interpreted it correctly, they are to be played in this sequence: AA-CC-A-BB-A. Have you heard of this third section? It is a beautiful one, indeed, and it mingles wonderfully with the other two. Never heard it recorded, though...

Best regards,

Jorge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Chris Delisa

Post by Chris Delisa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:43 pm

I also contacted the editor's son, a few years ago. He said that the volumes of transcriptions were in progress and they'd contact me when they were ready. I doubt they will ever come out.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 am
isn't the title "Homage To The Spanish Guitar" a little too "wide" in it's meaning ? Yes, I understand the idea, adding Valencia and "Valencianas" to Catalonia, but remembering how this thread and idea begun, what about: "Homage To The Spanish Guitar from the times of Torres" ?
You might be right, Jacek. Luckily I don't have to finalise a name yet. I have a lot of ideas floating around my brain, and every now and then I jump on one, but might think the opposite tomorrow. With nine pieces now recorded, the running time is already 27 minutes. The way my brain is going, it might be a double album or two separate albums. Or, indeed, I need to cut half the pieces out.

But this is all normal for me when I burst into a new project. It will be what it wants to be. I just don't know what that is yet. Thanks for your comments, though - they do help me get a perspective on what I'm doing.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 pm

As for posting an mp3 file you have to:
Thanks, Jorge. I'll try that when I'm less tired, and thinking more straightly. Appreciated.

Thanks also to Isabelle.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Concerning Lagrima (by Tárrega),
Thanks again, Jorge. I heard the third part a few years ago, and read it - perhaps it was in a magazine. I can't remember. To be honest I wasn't too happy with the C part, not as enthusiastic as you are. I work from the earliest publication - once published in a two-volume facsimile by Chanterelle. Perhaps I'm just so used to it as I found it in that edition that I have resistance to any changes or additions.

I'd love to see the Soneto publications, but I'm quite content with facsimiles of the earliest publications, and also the Leckie manuscripts in Tárrega's own hand.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:44 pm

UPDATE:

This afternoon I found time to record what will be the opening track: the "Mouvement de priere religieuse" by the "Father of the Spanish Guitar", Fernando Sor, or, to give him his Catalan name, Feran Sors. He seems to have been fondly remembering his time learning music at a monastery outside Barcelona. Although his guitars were a bit different from my Garcia, I feel his shadow rests gently over the development of the Catalan guitar world, and beyond into Spain and France. I wouldn't want to leave him out.

Return to “Public Space”