"Homage To The Romantic Spanish Guitar"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
tateharmann

Re: "Homage To The Spanish Guitar"

Post by tateharmann » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Awesome - love that piece! Just in case you are printing it on the album, the Catalan spelling is Ferran with two r's.

More here: https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferran_Sor_i_Muntades
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:15 am

Indeed, you are correct, as ever, Tate. He seems to have had various spellings of his name over the decades of his life and after.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am

Great project Rob, you seem to be a happy man! We are watching with great interest!
Nikos

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Cheers, Nikos. Appreciated.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:43 am

Okay, here's an attempt to upload one track for you to get a sense of the sound of the album, the guitar has Aquila Gut and Silk strings at the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w17x9354fn3e6 ... l=0Lágrima

Okay, that gives an external link. I guess the little sound file player I see elsewhere on this forum is not available on this sub forum. Anyway, I hope you like the sound.

BrunoB

Post by BrunoB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am

Rob, that is a very intimate sound, beautiful as ever, and very much a personal performance!

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:43 am
Okay, here's an attempt to upload one track for you to get a sense of the sound of the album, the guitar has Aquila Gut and Silk strings at the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w17x9354fn3e6 ... l=0Lágrima

Okay, that gives an external link. I guess the little sound file player I see elsewhere on this forum is not available on this sub forum. Anyway, I hope you like the sound.
Fine, Rob, it works, by just clicking the link I could hear your rendition perfectly well. Very nicely played, indeed, a wonderful prelude written by Tárrega - so the story goes - while living in England and sadly longing for the weather of his far away South Spain... :lol:

Now, I don't know if you are aware of it, but the link above can be somehow refined by giving it a name, Lágrima, for instance, and insert it anywhere in your text. If you quote this message, as if answering to it, and examine the current phrase, you will see how this is done.

Finally, I don't know, unfortunately, how people inserts the "the little sound player" you refer above... :(
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 am

BrunoB wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am
Rob, that is a very intimate sound, beautiful as ever, and very much a personal performance!
Thanks, Bruno. Glad you like it.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks again, Jorge for the tip on linking the word Lágrima!

Conall

Re: "Homage To Cataluña"

Post by Conall » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm
Ha, we will work something out. I'm happy to record after 11. This area is really quiet by then.
I have had similar frustrating experiences trying to record at home. My office is a bit dead acoustically (carpet) so a couple of times I've tried to record in the kitchen on a Sunday morning (wife & kids away for a couple of hours) - to no avail - birds galore, fridge if I forget to turn it off, clock if I forget to move it butt most frustrating of all - bleedin' helicopters taking oil workers to rigs!

And that's on top of trying to get decent video quality / angle / lighting & best audio mic position / playing without squeaks & fluffs & buzzes etc etc.

So I too will be forced to record late / after 1030pm to get enough silence - but I'm tired during the week & want to relax at weekends!

Basically I'm amazed you can record anything at all!

Best wishes with your project & looking forward to the final result.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 am

I've started work on a few pieces for recording later by composers I've never played before, but whose music fits perfectly with the world this guitar and similar guitars of the time inhabited, namely Luis Sor (a good friend of Tárrega, though with more of a flamenco influence - I of course refer to late 19th-century flamenco) Jose Viñas y Díaz, Federico Cano, and Trinidad Huerta - all very popular players in their day, yet whose music is rarely performed in our own time. It's always a joy to explore new music, which is one of the reasons for starting this project.

However, I'm being hampered by string breakages - five of them in ten days, three basses (two Ds and one A) and two trebles, both Es. I have asked the supplier for more, and await their reply. The strings are not breaking at contact points with the guitar (nut grooves, bridge holes, and tuners) which have worn smooth over the decades.

I'm also playing a 150-year old guitar, and beautiful as it is, the neck is thick and the action high - so I have to limit my time on it, having spent the last year selling instruments (due to the onset of arthritis in my hands) to replace them with thinner-necked variants.

But this is all part of the joy (yes, joy) of exploring old instruments and recreating old string technologies. There's something very authentic about this process. And I am thankful that Mimmo Perufo, Damian Dlugolecki and others, have spent so much time and money to develop historical string-making techniques for what must be an extremely small market.

Playing a decent historical guitar is also very instructive in the understanding of compositional and interpretative choices. There is nothing more meaningful than using the right guitar for a specific repertoire - everything just falls into place.

So, I don't expect to record another track for a couple of weeks, but I'm very much - despite occasional setbacks - enjoying the journey.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:52 am

Excellent choices, Rob! I play a number of pieces by Huerta that I've been meaning to record as well. Another one along the lines of Soria is Juan Parga. Also very Andalusian :)

Do the string breakages happen while playing? Mine almost never do - it's usually when I open my case for the first time in the day that I find a string has broken - and it's usually one of the silk basses too :/

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am

Never when playing. Either during the night, or when I'm watching tv...

Parga - yes, him too. Arcas as well, of course.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 am

Snoring and magnetic waves are harmful to gut and silk strings!
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Hahahaha yes true...snoring must activate the gut breaking fairies lol.

Arcas! How did we forget him Hahahaha. I guess will need two albums!!

Return to “Public Space”