Any tips for more defined pull-offs?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
CatsAndDogs123

Any tips for more defined pull-offs?

Post by CatsAndDogs123 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:34 pm

This was never a problem when playing on steel strings because the level of friction between the fingers and the strings was much higher, but on nylon strings, I require much more effort to get a nice, loud, definitive pull-off, especially when using the ring finger and pinky. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure I can find a Sor study to apply them to for practice later on, but any Etude, etc., suggestions would be great too.

Adrian Allan

Re: Any tips for more defined pull-offs?

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Make sure you land on the string below with the pull off finger.

Think of it as a "rest stroke" with the left hand.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Depending upon your technical level:

Matteo Carcassi
Op.60, nos.4, 8 & 10

Mauro Giuliani
Op.48, nos.4, 9 & 11

Ferdinando Carulli
Andante & Poco Allegretto in D major from Op.241, page 49

Francisco Tárrega
Estudios nos.S.E.M.8 & 19

Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Estudio del Ligado en La

Heitor Villa-Lobos
Peu animé section from Étude 10

There are dozens more - I'm sure that you'll receive further suggestions.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Make sure you land on the string below with the pull off finger.

Think of it as a "rest stroke" with the left hand.
A couple of other things to try, one of which is a modification on what Adrian suggested:

1. Make sure the string is not moving even slightly while doing the pull-off. You may have to apply just enough counter-force with the anchor finger to counteract any tendency by the pulloff finger to move the string with it in the same direction. What I mean is not to apply more pressure into the fretboard with the anchor finger, but to push "up" slightly toward the bass strings just enough to cancel out any small force from the pull-off finger pushing the string down toward the treble strings.

2. As an exercise, when pulling-off, don't just aim to rest the finger at the next string "down", but aim to "climb down" from the string you are pulling off of, like trying to snap it and land "into the fretboard". Obviously you are not sinking the pulloff finger into the fretboard literally, but I find that thinking about doing that changes its force direction subtly so that the pull-off is snappier and better defined. You are probably still going to touch the next string down. However rather than simply aim to move the finger parallel to the fretboard from one string to the one down, think about snapping the first string and landing on the fretboard below. Well, when you think about it, this is a bit more like a rest stroke because with the right hand a rest stroke has a downward component too.

You can combine these. In my experience, you should see an almost immediate difference in the ease and quality of the pulloffs.

Lastly, especially with the 4th finger, you just have to exercise it to build up its strength and the brain's neural machinery for moving it independently and efficiently.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

jscott

Post by jscott » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:40 am

Brouwer estudios sencillos

7 which is silly and loads of fun. Astonish your friends with this tres avante garde work!
16, 17 and 18 which are truly beautiful and difficult to pull off well (pun intended.)

Tom Phillips

Post by Tom Phillips » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 am

Check out this video ;)

Return to “Public Space”