Let's see if we can get Cordoba to mass produce these guitars...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
markfleener

Let's see if we can get Cordoba to mass produce these guitars...

Post by markfleener » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am

I just sent Cordoba the following message via the following link and I'm here to gather and encourage others to do the same, if you think it's a good idea?...

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/contact-us/

You all should make the C9, C10, and F10, available as 3/4 size guitars (615mm scale length), with spruce top (if that's not already an option), saddle pick-up and internal mic with EQ system (electronics), and left handed, although, I would even buy them if they were right handed (not available for lefties) and have the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted to switch it to left handed, as long as the fan bracing allowed for that (was the same for the bass and trebles). If you make the fan bracing different for the bass and trebles, then please make a separate left handed version available. Thanks!

Notice the full specs...

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c9-cd/

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-cd/

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/f10/

Peter Frary

Re: Let's see if we can get Cordoba to mass produce these guitars...

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 am

Isn't the C9/C10 Parlor guitars close enough at 630mm scale? Buy one and have your favorite pickup system installed and you'll in like Flint. I just had a Baggs Five-O pickup installed in a Romero Creations Parlor guitar and it feels and sounds great. A good installer will perfect string balance output better than most factory installs and do a better job of bundling up the wires for vibration/rattle free acoustic playing.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 am

I like the idea of smaller bodied and shorter scale guitars, but what's annoying is that, so often, these guitars also have narrower fingerboards - both at the nut and bridge. I like all my guitars to have the same fingerboard width. If they made a C10 "Parlor" with a 52mm nut and 59mm saddle I'd buy one, but it seems that small bodied guitars are made for people with small hands, which is a pity. There is also room for a small bodied guitar for those with larger hands - and if Cordoba built it like they build the C12 I imagine it would be possible for the guitar to retain the volume and projection of the average full size guitar.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:40 am

The Romero Creations Parlor guitar I bought last week has 630mm scale with 51mm nut, so pretty close. I normally play a Ramirez A1 and Douglas Ching with 55mm nut. I also have a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6 with 430mm scale and 49mm nut and I can pretty much burn rubber on that puppy. The brain remaps with a little practice and multiple size instruments soon feel natural.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 am
I like the idea of smaller bodied and shorter scale guitars, but what's annoying is that, so often, these guitars also have narrower fingerboards - both at the nut and bridge. I like all my guitars to have the same fingerboard width. ...
And I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a "less expensive " travel-size nylon string with a narrower - but not too narrow - nut width.

I gave up. I ordered one I didn't want to try...always seem to have to compromise on something. Given how many guitars there are out here, it's odd that what I'd like doesn't seem to exist...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:51 pm

markfleener wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am
...You all should make the C9, C10, and F10, available as 3/4 size guitars (615mm scale length), with spruce top (if that's not already an option), saddle pick-up and internal mic with EQ system (electronics), and left handed, although, I would even buy them if they were right handed (not available for lefties) and have the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted to switch it to left handed, as long as the fan bracing allowed for that (was the same for the bass and trebles). If you make the fan bracing different for the bass and trebles, then please make a separate left ....
Let us know what they say! But - I don't think there's enough of a market for them to go that route.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:40 am
The Romero Creations Parlor guitar I bought last week has 630mm scale with 51mm nut, so pretty close. I normally play a Ramirez A1 and Douglas Ching with 55mm nut. I also have a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6 with 430mm scale and 49mm nut and I can pretty much burn rubber on that puppy. The brain remaps with a little practice and multiple size instruments soon feel natural.
That looks interesting. Unfortunately they don't have any dealers in England so it's a bit hard to get hold of. Can you tell me what the width between the strings at the saddle is? They don't mention it on their website.

I'm sure that the brain can remap but there are certain physical realities that it can't overcome. I'm 6'4"and have large hands so they simply don't fit (at either end) with narrower fingerboards. Shorter fingerboards, of course, are no problem.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Markfleener, have you looked at Kenny Hill Player 615mm guitars? All solid wood, comes in spruce or cedar, and I am certain that they'd build a left-handed one for you. You'd probably be on your own for adding electronics/pickup (a guitar with built-in electronics is not a "classical guitar"), but I suppose you could ask them.

Kenny Hill is a member here, and he usually responds to enquiries about Hill guitars, or you could just email him from the contact info on the Hill Guitar Co. website and ask about the 615s (and your other specifications), and see what he says.

As for your aim of trying to persuade Cordoba to mass-produce an instrument that is unlikely to have mass-appeal, well, I am not sure how realistic that is, but do what you must...

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:26 pm

The challenge here is that you want them to make your unique creation, and there are probably very few who are seeking precisely what you are looking for. In fact, the market for a 615 scale, with built in electronics, and left handed is extremely narrow, so narrow that there is a chance you may be the only person on the planet who really wants such a guitar.

Big companies like Cordoba mass produce guitars, and they select their models very carefully to ensure there is a large enough market for it and will thus be profitable. It probably costs them quite a bit to start the production line for a completely new or unique model. I had sent Cordoba a message the other day asking why the Spruce C10 Parlor was discontinued.. This was their exact response:

"Really it just wasn't as popular as the cedar top, so it wasn't selling well enough to justify having both options available. So we just stuck with the more popular version."

This example shows the narrow margins they are working within. The fact that they couldn't even make this model guitar available in both spruce and cedar shows that the chance of them releasing a new model with your desired specs is pretty much zero. I don't mean to burst your bubble but I just want to highlight the reality so you don't get your hopes up or waste time pursuing a lost cause.

In the end your best bet is either to buy a guitar that is closest to what you are looking for, then make the necessary modifications, or you need to approach a luthier who is willing to bring your vision to life. Note that even luthiers have to change their trial period/return policy for really unique instrument such as the one you have in mind.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 pm

I believe Cordoba does make guitars in various scales (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 7/8).
I think asking for additional models, and configurations in those sizes is a waste of time and energy.
For children growing into classical guitars, those instruments are fine.
For accomplished players, seeking a specialty guitar, there is no need for a production instrument. Go to a specialty guitar builder.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 pm

You should buy or build a custom guitar instead. Mass production means there’s a sizable consumer market for the product. One or 100 requests won’t cut it.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 am
Isn't the C9/C10 Parlor guitars close enough at 630mm scale? Buy one and have your favorite pickup system installed and you'll in like Flint. I just had a Baggs Five-O pickup installed in a Romero Creations Parlor guitar and it feels and sounds great. A good installer will perfect string balance output better than most factory installs and do a better job of bundling up the wires for vibration/rattle free acoustic playing.
The C9 and C10 are not available with spruce top. Thanks for the advice on getting a guitar tech involved in the installation of the electronics.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 am
I like the idea of smaller bodied and shorter scale guitars, but what's annoying is that, so often, these guitars also have narrower fingerboards - both at the nut and bridge. I like all my guitars to have the same fingerboard width. If they made a C10 "Parlor" with a 52mm nut and 59mm saddle I'd buy one, but it seems that small bodied guitars are made for people with small hands, which is a pity. There is also room for a small bodied guitar for those with larger hands - and if Cordoba built it like they build the C12 I imagine it would be possible for the guitar to retain the volume and projection of the average full size guitar.
I totally agree with you and have thought the same exact things.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:51 pm
markfleener wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am
...You all should make the C9, C10, and F10, available as 3/4 size guitars (615mm scale length), with spruce top (if that's not already an option), saddle pick-up and internal mic with EQ system (electronics), and left handed, although, I would even buy them if they were right handed (not available for lefties) and have the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted to switch it to left handed, as long as the fan bracing allowed for that (was the same for the bass and trebles). If you make the fan bracing different for the bass and trebles, then please make a separate left ....
Let us know what they say! But - I don't think there's enough of a market for them to go that route.
They said that they inform the marketing staff on a monthly basis about suggestions they get, so I am contacting them every month and will continue to do so (even after I end up buying a guitar). I am even asking them to consider doing custom jobs.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 pm
Markfleener, have you looked at Kenny Hill Player 615mm guitars? All solid wood, comes in spruce or cedar, and I am certain that they'd build a left-handed one for you. You'd probably be on your own for adding electronics/pickup (a guitar with built-in electronics is not a "classical guitar"), but I suppose you could ask them.

Kenny Hill is a member here, and he usually responds to enquiries about Hill guitars, or you could just email him from the contact info on the Hill Guitar Co. website and ask about the 615s (and your other specifications), and see what he says.

As for your aim of trying to persuade Cordoba to mass-produce an instrument that is unlikely to have mass-appeal, well, I am not sure how realistic that is, but do what you must...

I think the Kenny Hill I'd get is 628mm. I think the 615mm isn't available with spruce top. Not sure why. I heard a pretty bad review on the Kenny Hill, so I'm quite hesitant to go with that, but yeah, I'm considering it. Thanks!

Return to “Public Space”