Let's see if we can get Cordoba to mass produce these guitars...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
markfleener

Re: Let's see if we can get Cordoba to mass produce these guitars...

Post by markfleener » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Mike Atkinson wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 pm
I believe Cordoba does make guitars in various scales (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 7/8).
I think asking for additional models, and configurations in those sizes is a waste of time and energy.
For children growing into classical guitars, those instruments are fine.
For accomplished players, seeking a specialty guitar, there is no need for a production instrument. Go to a specialty guitar builder.
AND...
pasigenyo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 pm
You should buy or build a custom guitar instead. Mass production means there’s a sizable consumer market for the product. One or 100 requests won’t cut it.

I can't afford to pay $4,000 or $5,000 on a guitar I've never played, or at all, really.

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Well .. that begs the question, then, why do you believe you need a guitar that is not a normal size and normal configuration?
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:00 pm

markfleener wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Mollbarre wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:51 pm
markfleener wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 am
...You all should make the C9, C10, and F10, available as 3/4 size guitars (615mm scale length), with spruce top (if that's not already an option), saddle pick-up and internal mic with EQ system (electronics), and left handed, although, I would even buy them if they were right handed (not available for lefties) and have the saddle groove on the bridge plugged and rerouted to switch it to left handed, as long as the fan bracing allowed for that (was the same for the bass and trebles). If you make the fan bracing different for the bass and trebles, then please make a separate left ....
Let us know what they say! But - I don't think there's enough of a market for them to go that route.
They said that they inform the marketing staff on a monthly basis about suggestions they get, so I am contacting them every month and will continue to do so (even after I end up buying a guitar). I am even asking them to consider doing custom jobs.
Well...I don't think they meant just having one person call on a regular basis.

You have 2 doable options:

1. Buy a guitar you can afford now - and have it switched over.

2. Keep saving and have one custom made.

Neither option is perfect, but sometimes you just cant get exactly what you want, so you'll need to compromise.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 am

markfleener wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm
I can't afford to pay $4,000 or $5,000 on a guitar I've never played, or at all, really.
Didn’t cost me that much for my custom guitar and I’m really happy with it. Buying a Córdoba or any mass produced guitar is also a hit and miss. You generally purchase what is available. Convincing Córdoba to build you a guitar to your own specs is a long shot. Good luck.

markfleener

Post by markfleener » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 am

pasigenyo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 am
markfleener wrote:
Didn’t cost me that much for my custom guitar and I’m really happy with it. Buying a Córdoba or any mass produced guitar is also a hit and miss. You generally purchase what is available. Convincing Córdoba to build you a guitar to your own specs is a long shot. Good luck.
I just got a $4,300 quote on my custom job. Another luthier laughed at me for being left handed and then said he never charges less than $6,000, but he wouldn't ever make a left handed guitar. Another one quoted at least $8,000. I've not found any luthier willing to do it cheaper.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:12 am

The person who laughed at you for being left-handed (?!) is very unprofessional (and, that's just bizarre).

I am sure that one of the main problems is the very small size of guitar that you are wanting. Many luthiers will not have experience with such a small guitar, and as a result, they will not have the proper equipment or set-up in their shops to make one. Perhaps you are not aware of all that goes into building a guitar, but it is a combination of very precise components, measured, cut, and set up to very precise standards, and trying to make a tiny guitar, for luthiers who usually only make standard sized ones, will require an entirely new set of measurements, components, etc.. That will add to the cost, because it will take them more time to prepare and build it.

You wouldn't be simply commissioning a custom guitar, you'd be commissioning a custom-custom guitar -- something very much out of the ordinary. And, if a luthier has never built such a small guitar, they may not even be comfortable with the idea, because they may not know if it would be up to the level of their standard guitars.

That being said, there are undoubtedly luthiers who would be up to the task, and who may even regularly make smaller scale instruments (left or right handed), but you just need to do more homework and find them. But don't expect it to come cheap.

If the cost is prohibitive, then, again, something like a Kenny Hill 615 might be worth more of a look.

gingko

Post by gingko » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:09 pm

markfleener wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 am
pasigenyo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 am
markfleener wrote:
I just got a $4,300 quote on my custom job. Another luthier laughed at me for being left handed and then said he never charges less than $6,000, but he wouldn't ever make a left handed guitar. Another one quoted at least $8,000. I've not found any luthier willing to do it cheaper.
Joseph Redman custom makes shorter scaled guitars and you might like his prices. I'm very happy with the 605 cm scale length he made for me last year.
2018 Joseph Redman 604mm cedar/Padauk
Córdoba "Requinto" 580mm
M. Matano Asturias 600 1981 Alto 550mm

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:31 pm

markfleener wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 am

Send me a pm and I'll refer you to my luthier.

Return to “Public Space”