Fretless Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Seter

Re: Fretless Classical Guitar

Post by Seter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 pm

It's another tool in the tool chest. I wouldn't want to only have a fretless guitar, and I probably wouldn't primarily play one if I did, but I wouldn't mind having one in the collection to pull out from time to time. I play fretted and fretless bass, certain songs suit each type better. Getting proper intonation is definitely a challenge on fretless, and my bass even has fret lines. You have to be right on the money instead of having quite a large target on fretted instruments.

joachim33

Re: Fretless Classical Guitar

Post by joachim33 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Hi

I am not taken by this at all. The intonation issues are horrendous, in particular in the second video linked here. The first one is over processed in post production, disguising many of the shortcomings.

Looking at the posture and right hand, we would have a field day if this was shown with a fretted guitar. I am really wondering whether they try to ride on doing something unusual instead of having true mastery of their instruments.

The sustain issues mentioned above by others are to me a key reason why lutes and guitars have frets. We do not use a bow to permanently shove energy into the string(s).

My 0.02€ on this.

Return to “Public Space”