Thoughts on grade system and learning new pieces.

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Henrymiller1982

Thoughts on grade system and learning new pieces.

Post by Henrymiller1982 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi, do any of my fellow classical guitarists here have any thoughts on having two music teachers? Two teachers you see on alternate weeks. Can any one see any pros and cons to this way of learning?

I'm reaching out to a second teacher purely out of ease of booking as living in a busy city, my main stay teacher who is great, and knows me very well, is not always available. What I'm trying to decide is what outcomes from each teacher I need. I'd like to try to move a grade up to keep the ball always rolling with my new teacher while still sticking to the grade I am on with my old teacher. That may be complicating my learning tho.

Am I hindering or helping my progress with two teacher? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Mollbarre

Re: Thoughts on grade system and learning new pieces.

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 pm

I have 2 teachers - but for different instruments. However, there's overlap regarding theory, etc.

Everyone has a different approach - and you will get conflicting information.

If you are okay with that, (and are NEVER tempted to say "...but my other teacher told me your way is wrong!) - try it.

Just let both teachers know what you are doing.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Henrymiller1982

Post by Henrymiller1982 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 am

Good points thanks.

BrunoB

Post by BrunoB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am

you might need to look at the abilities of your two teachers and whether their interest and attributes differ significantly so that you can plan a more formal approach to your own development by selecting the best attributes for each teacher. It may well be that paying the same music with both can give you a much wider perspective than with one single teacher. It might be difficult to define the boundaries, both for you and for your teachers, without having explicit goals?

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am

As improvement is driven by you; your practice time, focus and diligence while practicing, and practicing the correct material ...

... I would suggest a second teach will have no positive effect, and possibly a negative effect, on your progression.

If you are only able to see your instructor once or twice a month ... that does nothing against your practice time. Take the time between lessons to focus on the one or two take-away points from your lesson.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Return to “Public Space”