Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm
musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 am

Can you write an example or examples of existing shows with strong stories, themes or narratives that overlie the music. Do you think that The Walls by Sergio Assad and/or How Little You Are by Nico Nuhly are examples of shows with strong stories, themes or narratives that overlie the music?

Can you write an example of examples of existing collaboration with other artists (actors? visual artists? film makers? photographers?) to create something more dimensional than a straightforward classical music recital?
  • Program Music (cf. "Absolute music") by definition has a theme which represents something other than the notes on the page. It became commonplace in the Romantic period, e.g. Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. I suspect that any time a composer titles a piece something other than "sonata" or "etude" that they are writing programatically.
  • I don't know the Assad or Nuhly examples, sorry.
  • Every Opera, Song, Ballet, Incidental music for theater, religious music, etc. is a collaboration of forms. (music + literature, dance, acting, stage design, costuming, even religious ritual, etc) Any time a performance venue is chosen for a reason other than convenience is a partnership of music and architecture. Any time a musician performs in a gallery is a collaboration of sound + visual art. Even the clothes one wears onstage are a subtle dimension.
As I said earlier, one doesn't need lasers, models of Stonehenge, and dancing dwarves to qualify as "mixed media". Mixed media = different routes to the goal of artistic expression, however subtle.

As sentinent beings, we are affected by the simultaneous combination of our senses. We cannot avoid this, despite our sitting with our eyes closed. There is a continuum between unconscious perception, on one hand, and the variety show... the multi-media extravaganza so bemoaned by @lovemyguitar and @TomPoore.

cheers
dirkc
Cool. Let's see how MCG responds.

musicbyandy
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm
musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 am

Can you write an example or examples of existing shows with strong stories, themes or narratives that overlie the music. Do you think that The Walls by Sergio Assad and/or How Little You Are by Nico Nuhly are examples of shows with strong stories, themes or narratives that overlie the music?

Can you write an example of examples of existing collaboration with other artists (actors? visual artists? film makers? photographers?) to create something more dimensional than a straightforward classical music recital?
  • Program Music (cf. "Absolute music") by definition has a theme which represents something other than the notes on the page. It became commonplace in the Romantic period, e.g. Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. I suspect that any time a composer titles a piece something other than "sonata" or "etude" that they are writing programatically.
  • I don't know the Assad or Nuhly examples, sorry.
  • Every Opera, Song, Ballet, Incidental music for theater, religious music, etc. is a collaboration of forms. (music + literature, dance, acting, stage design, costuming, even religious ritual, etc) Any time a performance venue is chosen for a reason other than convenience is a partnership of music and architecture. Any time a musician performs in a gallery is a collaboration of sound + visual art. Even the clothes one wears onstage are a subtle dimension.
As I said earlier, one doesn't need lasers, models of Stonehenge, and dancing dwarves to qualify as "mixed media". Mixed media = different routes to the goal of artistic expression, however subtle.

As sentinent beings, we are affected by the simultaneous combination of our senses. We cannot avoid this, despite our sitting with our eyes closed. There is a continuum between unconscious perception, on one hand, and the variety show... the multi-media extravaganza so bemoaned by @lovemyguitar and @TomPoore.

cheers
dirkc
Cool. Let's see how MCG responds.

musicbyandy
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm
the types of performances advocated by the OP
I don't think that the original poster advocated for types of performances. I think the original poster asked, "How about shows...and collaborations....?" I don't believe that questions can be identified as advocating. I have spoken with other people who disagree with my idea that questions cannot be identified as advocating. I believe that you addressed the questions posted by the original poster. I appreciate and commend you for addressing the questions posted by the original poster.

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 3476
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm
...I don't think that the original poster advocated for types of performances. I think the original poster asked, "How about shows...and collaborations....?" I don't believe that questions can be identified as advocating...
Advocate, verb: to publicly support or recommend a particular cause or policy.

In this case, I think that that we can, in fact, correctly interpret the OP's questions as implicitly advocating certain types of performances. While not all questions can be identified as advocating for their subject matter, some of them quite clearly do so. It is rather naive (and/or overly literal) to read such questions as genuine enquiries, when it seems rather obvious that a person is wanting to solicit support for their own ideas.

I think there may be a term for it, when a person phrases their statements in the form of a question that is not really a question at all, because they already have the answer, and thus they are simply making a point or seeking validation for their own view, etc..

musicbyandy
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm
musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm
...I don't think that the original poster advocated for types of performances. I think the original poster asked, "How about shows...and collaborations....?" I don't believe that questions can be identified as advocating...
Advocate, verb: to publicly support or recommend a particular cause or policy.

In this case, I think that that we can, in fact, correctly interpret the OP's questions as implicitly advocating certain types of performances. While not all questions can be identified as advocating for their subject matter, some of them quite clearly do so. It is rather naive (and/or overly literal) to read such questions as genuine enquiries, when it seems rather obvious that a person is wanting to solicit support for their own ideas.

I think there may be a term for it, when a person phrases their statements in the form of a question that is not really a question at all, because they already have the answer, and thus they are simply making a point or seeking validation for their own view, etc..
I think that I really like the idea of being naive and overly literal. I hope to find other people who also like the idea of being naive and overly literal. While I have a strong interest in the types of performances mentioned in the OP, I suppose that the thing that I want most in the world is for literal prose. I think my want for literal prose comes from my feeling of inferior abilities to interpret figurative speech and a desire for the world around me to change rather than me changing to the world around me.

Dirck Nagy
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

I think there may be a term for it, when a person phrases their statements in the form of a question that is not really a question at all, because they already have the answer, and thus they are simply making a point or seeking validation for their own view, etc..
Its called a rhetorical question

musicbyandy
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

I think there may be a term for it, when a person phrases their statements in the form of a question that is not really a question at all, because they already have the answer, and thus they are simply making a point or seeking validation for their own view, etc..
Its called a rhetorical question
I hope that the original questions were not rhetorical questions. I hope that the original questions were genuine.

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 3476
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

I think there may be a term for it, when a person phrases their statements in the form of a question that is not really a question at all, because they already have the answer, and thus they are simply making a point or seeking validation for their own view, etc..
Its called a rhetorical question

Thank you -- yes of course, that's the term! Cheers!

User avatar
muirtan
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by muirtan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi, as this thread is about imagination and concerts you might be interested in some concerts by James Boyd which I have just posted. The series is called the Wilderness concerts. They will talk place on a sailing boat on the salt marshes in north Norfolk UK. The listing give more information about the artists and the concerts.

User avatar
muirtan
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by muirtan » Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 am

Just incase anyone is interested and are on facebook, sorry I don't have a link to anywhere else as this is newly out. It's a short,very short, clip, from the wilderness concerts I mentioned above. https://www.facebook.com/james.boyd.589 ... =3&theater

Hope you like it and gives you a taste of what is happening up here in a Norfolk backwater ;)

User avatar
Arash Ahmadi
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: Concerts/recitals - time for more imagination?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sat May 25, 2019 11:30 am

I think you are trying to compare pop/rock with classical concerts, there's a reason there are so many unrelated but fascinating stuff going on in a pop/rock concert but not in classical ones. It's really comparing apples and pears... The philosophy behind a classical music concert is that people come to enjoy the music and music only, also the music is so rich that doesn't need anything else to fill the void. Now, there are a few exceptions here and there that's over a different subject.
Meanwhile, really good jazz and blues concerts are pretty much the same as classical...
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

Return to “Public Space”