Interesting Tunable Nut Construction

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
rojarosguitar

Interesting Tunable Nut Construction

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:17 pm

There is an Hervé Chouard guitar on the infamous electronic bay (search for Meistergitarre Zeder/Rio-Palisander Hervé Chouard Nr 143 von 1995 ).
Well, I had a chance to see two of them in the workshop of Sebastian Stenzel and both of them didn't move me an inch, but this one has a very interesting (though probably work intensive) nut construction allowing to tune the compensation at the nut individually on each string.

Look it up, it's the fourth picture.

The price is another story :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Lovemyguitar

Re: Interesting Tunable Nut Construction

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 pm

That nut is interesting indeed -- I wonder what material it is made from? The headstock is, shall I say, creative in its design -- those edges look a bit flimsy. Did you notice that, where the neck joins the headstock (seen from the back), it has some unusual construction for joining the two pieces of wood (if that is what it is). The tuners look 100 years old!

And the price, gasp! I wonder what it sounds like?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Very innovative concept for the nut. I wonder if the serrated, gear like pieces are even necessary. With very tight tolerance and with the right material, they probably won't slide because of the friction and the down force from the tension of the strings

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

bacsidoan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 pm
Very innovative concept for the nut. I wonder if the serrated, gear like pieces are even necessary. With very tight tolerance and with the right material, they probably won't slide because of the friction and the down force from the tension of the strings
You might be right. Also the groves could be made slightly slanted so that the force vector would press the small parts would be pressed down even more.
The beauty of this would be that one could handle the nut comensation for different string materials without the necessity of making new nuts every time one goes to a different type of strings.

I wonder whether there are acoustic disadvantages to be expected from these moving parts?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Return to “Public Space”