Guitar pieces suggestions (Advanced Difficulty)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Hook

Guitar pieces suggestions (Advanced Difficulty)

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 am

Hello everyone,

I recently got my guitar degree and I am currently looking for some pieces that are challenging enough to keep me in good shape and are beautiful to play and hear at the same time. Making a list and i would like your help to complete it! You got any suggestions? :D

Terpfan

Re: Guitar pieces suggestions (Advanced Difficutly)

Post by Terpfan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Bach Chaconne. Challenging, beautiful, and you won't get bored after awhile.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Regondi?
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011
Yamaha CG192S

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Hook wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 am
Hello everyone,

I recently got my guitar degree and I am currently looking for some pieces that are challenging enough to keep me in good shape and are beautiful to play and hear at the same time. Making a list and i would like your help to complete it! You got any suggestions? :D
Well, if you just completed a guitar degree, you ought to be familiar with much of the repertoire, and just about everything you'd hear played by a professional classical guitarist would be in the category of Advanced Difficulty, so the list is incredibly long.

As for what is "beautiful to play and hear", that really depends on your personal taste. Perhaps if you could mention what you like, the sorts of pieces you do play and enjoy, then people could make appropriate suggestions, rather than just randomly naming "famous" pieces that you probably know about already.

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm
Hook wrote:
Hello everyone,

Well, if you just completed a guitar degree, you ought to be familiar with much of the repertoire, and just about everything you'd hear played by a professional classical guitarist would be in the category of Advanced Difficulty, so the list is incredibly long.

As for what is "beautiful to play and hear", that really depends on your personal taste. Perhaps if you could mention what you like, the sorts of pieces you do play and enjoy, then people could make appropriate suggestions, rather than just randomly naming "famous" pieces that you probably know about already.
Yes I am familiar with much of the repertoire but there are always pieces to discover. Maybe I should phrase it better and ask for the ones that you people like so i can broaden my repertoire :) The ones I have enjoyed the most so far playing are the Bach Suites, most of the Johann Kaspar Mertz pieces and pieces originally written for Lute (Fransesco Da Milano etc.). Of course there are many more to mention that's just an idea, so any recommendation is very welcomed :)

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Terpfan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Bach Chaconne. Challenging, beautiful, and you won't get bored after awhile.
Thank you!

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Justfun wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 pm
Regondi?
Haven't discovered most of his work I will surely check it out, thank you.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Would Mogiana by Konstantin Vassiliev your cup of tea?

I find it surprising Irina Kulikova is the only one who has performed it (on youtube).

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm
Would Mogiana by Konstantin Vassiliev your cup of tea?

I find it surprising Irina Kulikova is the only one who has performed it (on youtube).
Just gave it a listen seems very interesting thanks for this suggestion.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Hook wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm
...Maybe I should ... ask for the ones that you people like so i can broaden my repertoire :) The ones I have enjoyed the most so far playing are the Bach Suites, most of the Johann Kaspar Mertz pieces and pieces originally written for Lute (Fransesco Da Milano etc.). ...
That leaves the entire twentieth century of repertoire to mine (and the 21st...), and I am referring to music that was actually written for the guitar -- there is so much of it from the last 100 years! Since you seem to favour fairly conservative music (but perhaps really need to expand on that!), how about "Sonatina" by Lennox Berkeley (if you don't know it), that might be a good entry-point into some of the more contemporary classical guitar repertoire. I also love things like Britten's "Nocturnal" (there's your lute connection!), and Frank Martin's "Quatre Pieces Breves". These are all major classics, and would certainly keep you busy for a long time, if the music is to your liking.

Amy Gaudia
Student of the online lessons

Post by Amy Gaudia » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 pm

If I had the skills, I would love to play

Scarlatti, Sonata K1

Check out Alberto Mesirca's performance on YouTube.

I look forward to hearing your performance! There aren't that many out there, that I have found.
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://vimeo.com/236319105

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 am

Hook wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently got my guitar degree
Since you recently got your guitar degree, what right hand fingering do you use for scales?? im or ami or other combo??

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 am

You say you enjoy playing Mertz. Have you tried his Fantaisie hongroise?
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 am

Minuetto by Tarrega (not the estudio en forma de minuetto). Wonderful little piece, I said to myself when I listened to it first. Now I am learning it. Puuuh, these slurs around the 12th fret are something to work on for a longer time. Whet it comes to Bach: I started to play the BWV 996 Gigue 5 years ago. Still a work in progress. Hell of a difficult piece.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Hook

Post by Hook » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Terpfan wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 am
Hook wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently got my guitar degree
Since you recently got your guitar degree, what right hand fingering do you use for scales?? im or ami or other combo??
I mainly practice i-m and i-a (the second one has helped me a lot in the past to improve my right hand technique, even though it may seem weird).

Return to “Public Space”