How Many Guitar Method Books Do We Need?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guitar-ded

Re: How Many Guitar Method Books Do We Need?

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Catire wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 pm
One more.
Yup.
You're asking the publishers version of our own "how many guitars do I need?"
It was established here long ago that the answer is a mathematical formula, N+1
Whatever you have now plus one ...and when you have that one the formula still applies, so just one more, then... etc.

I understand that the only way to circumvent this equation is to involve your spouse/partner. Then the equation abruptly changes to N-1.
:twisted: :lol: :guitare:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Terpfan wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm
robert e wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm
Martha Masters' "Reaching the Next Level".

Hey, I didn't realize that Masters wrote her own method for Alfred until I checked on that last title. Maybe there's room for more than 42... [Edit: one more.]
I went to Peabody with Martha Masters. She was one of the best young guitarist but at Peabody, she never shined. Then she went to USC and won GFA. I am sure there is a lot of insight in that book.
Some players are just late bloomers. I would consider myself in that category. A book method is an antiquated method of learning. Video methods will be the future.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 pm

God I hope not!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Ricflair wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm
Terpfan wrote:
robert e wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm
Martha Masters' "Reaching the Next Level".

Hey, I didn't realize that Masters wrote her own method for Alfred until I checked on that last title. Maybe there's room for more than 42... [Edit: one more.]
I went to Peabody with Martha Masters. She was one of the best young guitarist but at Peabody, she never shined. Then she went to USC and won GFA. I am sure there is a lot of insight in that book.
Some players are just late bloomers. I would consider myself in that category. A book method is an antiquated method of learning. Video methods will be the future.
Peabody was too uptight in my opinion. She got worse by the year in Peabody. Our ears got educated in faster tempo than our technique, becoming too self conscious and lose confidence. She went to study at USC afterwards and became a GFA winner. I've visited USC and it was totally different attitude towards performing. It was too laid back for my taste then, however now I believe attitude at Peabody was toxic and USC was whole lot better.

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 am

Terpfan wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm
Ricflair wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm
Terpfan wrote:

Peabody was too uptight in my opinion. She got worse by the year in Peabody. Our ears got educated in faster tempo than our technique, becoming too self conscious and lose confidence. She went to study at USC afterwards and became a GFA winner. I've visited USC and it was totally different attitude towards performing. It was too laid back for my taste then, however now I believe attitude at Peabody was toxic and USC was whole lot better.
This makes me feel really grateful about how I chose my universities and teachers... However, some teachers and programs are more effective for some students than others.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:10 am

Ricflair wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 am
This makes me feel really grateful about how I chose my universities and teachers... However, some teachers and programs are more effective for some students than others.
What I've noticed from student recital at USC was it was totally laid back and the audience was so supportive. At Peabody, it kinda felt like audience was counting your mistakes. (I'm sure they weren't) Nevertheless everyone at Peabody was shocked when Martha won the GFA.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:56 am

A learner is not a collective 'we' so it's everybody's' personal luck what kind of instruction she or he gets. As a collective group probably the answer lies in the market. But one could also ask more generally "how many books do we need?"... :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Sankie

Post by Sankie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 am

Any books recommend for intermediate student perhaps?
Edmund Blochinger Llobet 2018
Joshia de Jonge 2018
Ramirez 4ne 2016
Andrea Tacchi Coclea Tuchea 2015
Ramirez 1a 2018
Jean Noel Rohe 2014

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:16 am

Sankie wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 am
Any books recommend for intermediate student perhaps?
In fact, Martha Masters' "Reaching the Next Level" is aimed at intermediate to advanced and is subtitled "A method for experienced classical guitarists." On the slim side (96pp), it is as much about musicianship as technique--interpretation, approaches to study, performance issues and nuances--the stuff most method books leave to the instructor. Each topic/chapter is focused around a specific piece (included), and there's a list of suggested pieces for further study.

Ryan's "The Natural Classical Guitar" is also for intermediate and beyond, but is focused on approaching guitar playing in a healthy, holistic way, treating musical, physical, spiritual and mental aspects of both playing and living.

If you're looking for athletic challenge, Iznaola's "Kitharologus" very quickly advances beyond beginner level in the early part of the book, IMO.

I'm sure there are more, but I haven't checked out everything... yet!

ETA: IMO, intermediate students are probably ready to benefit from non-guitar-specific books on musicianship as well, like "The Inner Game of Music".

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:30 pm

The way I see it, it's the more the merrier.

There are bunches of approaches to guitar and ways of teaching, I doubt any one does it all. Couple that with the idea that everyone learns and plays a little different, the more sources of information and approach, the more likely a player is to find something that works for them.

Of course there are limits to the time we have to actually work through a method, and room on our bookshelves. I guess that would define the upper limit.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Return to “Public Space”