Ralph Macchio actually plays guitar, huh ...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
soltirefa

Ralph Macchio actually plays guitar, huh ...

Post by soltirefa » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 am

Cipher

Re: Ralph Macchio actually plays guitar, huh ...

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 am

soltirefa wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:46 am

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/for ... arlen-roth
The problem was Macchio couldn’t play guitar. Arlen Roth, it turns out, was the man for the job. The guitarist, who was hired as the film's musical consultant, also was tasked with showing Macchio how to play guitar while creating guitar parts for the film that the young actor could mime to.

Over the next few months, Roth visited Macchio’s home in Long Island, New York, four days a week. He taught him electric and acoustic blues techniques, including fingerpicking and slide. He even threw in some classical. The young actor was determined to actually play the guitar in the movie; however, Roth knew this would be impossible.

He was keen to just get Macchio good enough to fake the parts recorded by Roth, Ry Cooder and Bill Kanengiser. When production began, many of the film’s sets were still yet to be finalized. After filming on location one evening in Greenville, Mississippi, Roth, who was fascinated by the local music scene, decided to sit in at a nearby juke joint and took Ralph along.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:58 am

Or I guess he actually can't. Thanks Cipher.

Excerpt from what you linked:

"Arlen worked very hard on the project. He taught Ralph Macchio how to hold and finger the guitar to make it look realistic. And he recorded a lot of the slide guitar parts throughout the film, along with Ry."

mmcnabb

Post by mmcnabb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Whatever the case, Ralph did an excellent job faking it. You can definitely tell where parts were sped up, but his fingers are generally in the right place for most of the parts and the general movements look realistic. I was particularly impressed with the barre chord in that turnaround at the end. Looked pretty real to me.
Cordoba C7

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm

If I ever play Turkish March that blues turnaround is happening, preferably in front of as many establishment classical musicians as possible.

I noticed that the classical parts (including the Trick Bag) are way off, but the blues runs (like at the end of this video) are almost perfect. I wonder why.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

gary macleod

Post by gary macleod » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Jim Davidson wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm
If I ever play Turkish March that blues turnaround is happening, preferably in front of as many establishment classical musicians as possible.

I noticed that the classical parts (including the Trick Bag) are way off, but the blues runs (like at the end of this video) are almost perfect. I wonder why.
What do you mean by “ way off” ?

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 am

gary macleod wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm
Jim Davidson wrote:

Macchio's fingerings don't match the notes being played.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

gary macleod

Post by gary macleod » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:48 am

Jim Davidson wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 am
gary macleod wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm
Jim Davidson wrote:

Macchio's fingerings don't match the notes being played.
Ok I get it, yes it’s obvious he’s miming.

Return to “Public Space”