Recommendations for adhesive cork for supports?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
paskin

Recommendations for adhesive cork for supports?

Post by paskin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 am

The adhesive cork pieces on my Sagework/Barnett guitar support (and on my Abel armrest) tend to slide around and I'd like to replace them. But I'm having trouble finding high quality adhesive cork. Any recommendations?

Steve O

Re: Recommendations for adhesive cork for supports?

Post by Steve O » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:09 am

I haven't seen those rests to know if there is anything special about the cork, but in general I'd go to Michaels and buy some 2-3 mm thick cork in a roll and a can of 3M Super 77 adhesive.

Cut the cork to shape, spray the backside of the cork with adhesive (don't get it all over your fingers) and then carefully apply.

I just took a look at that support. The cork pieces are simple rectangles. Instead of the 3M adhesive you may want to pick up a roll of two-sided tape - it's less messy. You could also choose to use thicker cork of you desire.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Are you sure the cork is the problem? I would contact Sageworks for replacement. On mine, the magnets are so strong I can't imagine the support moving on the guitar. Or is the cork moving on the support? Were the interior magnets installed correctly?
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

BrunoB

Post by BrunoB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I have had the same problem with the Sagework support and it is only the rear cork that seems to move. I have a feeling that it is related to the way that I detach the support when I have finished playing. I try and rotate the support forwards to break the magnetic attraction and that seems to be quite effective.

paskin

Post by paskin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Steve O wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:09 am
I haven't seen those rests to know if there is anything special about the cork, but in general I'd go to Michaels and buy some 2-3 mm thick cork in a roll and a can of 3M Super 77 adhesive.
Thanks Steve! I'll try out that glue, didn't know about it. Now I'd like to find some really high quality cork roll. (The stuff I've found on Amazon is OK, but not as nice as what came on the support originally.)

paskin

Post by paskin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Bill-stl wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Are you sure the cork is the problem? I would contact Sageworks for replacement. On mine, the magnets are so strong I can't imagine the support moving on the guitar. Or is the cork moving on the support? Were the interior magnets installed correctly?
It's the cork moving---or more precisely, rotating---on the support's foot. I think the magnets are working fine.

paskin

Post by paskin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm

BrunoB wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm
I have had the same problem with the Sagework support and it is only the rear cork that seems to move. I have a feeling that it is related to the way that I detach the support when I have finished playing. I try and rotate the support forwards to break the magnetic attraction and that seems to be quite effective.
Thanks Bruno, I'm careful in how I remove the support. I've noticed the rotation of the cork happens before I remove it. So I think it just relates somehow to pressure I'm putting on the support while I play.

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm

paskin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm
Thanks Steve! I'll try out that glue, didn't know about it. Now I'd like to find some really high quality cork roll. (The stuff I've found on Amazon is OK, but not as nice as what came on the support originally.)
Pure cork rolls are a bit crumbly. From the photo of the Barnett supports, I think they are not using 100% cork - it looks like rubberized cork due the the darker colour (black/tan). I ran across the rubberized cork on Stewmac's cam clamps (a luthier supply house). The cork protects the clamps from marring your workpiece. When bending some sides, which requires high temperature, the rubber in the cork pads semi-melted due to the heat.

The rubberized cork is commonly available as flooring underlay at your hardware store and is used as gasket material. Barnett says their supports won't hurt any guitar finish...but I'd be careful if you decide to purchase rubberized cork instead of 100% cork.

If I were you I'd phone Barnett and see if they'll ship you some of their pads. Maybe ask them what they're made of and let the rest of us know.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:02 pm

paskin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm
Bill-stl wrote:
It's the cork moving---or more precisely, rotating---on the support's foot. I think the magnets are working fine.
I would still see if Sageworks would replace it. When I remove mine, I simply tilt the support, with both feet contacting the guitar, to about 45 degrees and it releases. No twisting neccesary.
I guess you could remove your existing cork, clean the glue with a solvent and them use something like 3M 77 spray adhesive to reattach the cork.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 pm

paskin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm
Bill-stl wrote:
Here is a video of a demo. He removes it at around 2.40. I would think twisting it would risk scratching the finish.

paskin

Post by paskin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks. Just to clarify, I don't twist the support with the feet attached to remove it. I rotate it towards the back of the instrument so only one edge of each foot is against the side and then pull it off. Sounds like this is what Bill-stl does too. (If I were to pull the support off the upper bout as shown in the video, I'd risk scratching my side with the curved lower arm of the support, since it's all the way in.)

I'll contact Sageworks and ask for replacement (perhaps rubberized) cork and use 3M Super 77 to glue it on. Thanks all!

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 pm

My go-to glue for this kind of thing is Barge Cement, often used in shoe repair, so it’s tough stuff, one of the few truly industrial strength adhesives that you can still get in most hardware stores. It’s a contact cement so after applying it to both surfaces it really does have to be dry before the pieces get stuck together. They will stay stuck!

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 am

Sounds like Sageworks might have had a bad batch of glue. Good luck with your fix!

Return to “Public Space”