Granada luthiers

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bogdan

Granada luthiers

Post by bogdan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 am

I have just returned from a dream come true: a one week vacation through Andalucia.
I already had high hopes, but even so, the trip has way surpassed my expectations!

I have attended 3 Flamenco shows, in Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada (Albaicin).

I have also managed to visit a few of the famous luthiers in Granada.

First I have visited "Guitarreria Bitar", a new place, but very promising judging by their concert-level instruments.

Then, on the same street (Cuesta de Gomérez), I have been to "Casa Ferrer", a legendary place.
Benito Ferrer, a contemporary of Torres and after him his nephew, Eduardo, were pioneers of the Granada guitar making school.
Many of the luthier families in Granada learned their trade from Eduardo Ferrer.
I have played on two beautifully sounding guitars, one with Spruce, the other one with Cedar top.

The next day, I have visited the Marin Guitar Shop: Antonio Marin Montero, Jose Marin Plazuelo and Jose Gonzalez Lopez, another legendary family of builders. No guitars to try there, but just being able to visit them was a great pleasure and honor!

Then, not far from the Marin family shop, I have visited Manuel and Jesus Bellido and I must confess that this is the place I have enjoyed the most!
I have played on 5 guitars, two built by Manuel, 3 by Jesus, all very different and really amazing instruments!
The one I have liked the most is a Jesus's replica of a guitar by the old Granada master Agustin Caro, a guitar with sweet, bell-like trebles and with an incredible responsiveness!

I did not have the time to go to the other guitar makes on my list, Paco Santiago Marin and Rene Baarslag and Ana Espinosa among them.
But I will make sure to visit that magical city again...

Bogdan
Last edited by bogdan on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

bogdan

Re: Granada luthiers

Post by bogdan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:41 am

With Antonio Marin Montero and Jose Marin Plazuelo.
20190405_114317.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 am

With Manuel and Jesus Bellido.
A great pleasure trying the guitars in the shop and talking to them about their guitars, the wood and their building techniques!
20190405_124329.jpg
20190405_124350.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Intune

Post by Intune » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Looks like you had a great trip, bogdan. Next time you visit Granada you might want to arrange a stop at the workshop of fellow Delcamper John Ray and, if you have access to a car, also that of Andres Marvi in the little Sierra Nevada mountain village of Ferreirola south of town. It's a lovely destination for a day outing. If I'm not mistaken, the Baarslag/Espinosa workshop is in the town of Lanjaron along the way to Marvi's place and would be a convenient stopoff as well.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Looks like you had an interesting trip there Bogdan, thanks for sharing.

Maybe you, or someone here, can answer a question re; Bellido?
How is it pronounced? I always thought it to be Bell-ee-do but a friend always assumed it to be Belly-do.
For a while, I've meant to ask here but never remember.
Anyone?
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Using your phonetic system - Bell - yee - do, with the stress on the yee. The d shoiuld be pronounced like the th in the.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm

The way I heard it pronounced there was "Bei-ido", with the accent on the second i.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Intune wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 pm
Looks like you had a great trip, bogdan. Next time you visit Granada you might want to arrange a stop at the workshop of fellow Delcamper John Ray and, if you have access to a car, also that of Andres Marvi in the little Sierra Nevada mountain village of Ferreirola south of town. It's a lovely destination for a day outing. If I'm not mistaken, the Baarslag/Espinosa workshop is in the town of Lanjaron along the way to Marvi's place and would be a convenient stopoff as well.
Thank you for reminding me.

Yes, John Ray and Andres Marvi were on my list.
I also knew that Marvi's and Ana and Rene's places were along the same route and I had an initial plan to visit them both.
At the end, I could not, due to time constraints.
But I will make sure I will go there again. Andalucia is such a wonderful place! AndGranada is probably its "crown jewel"...

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Granada has a long tradition of luthiers. But the current number of great luthiers there is just amazing!
Jesus Bellido was delighted in telling me about it, with all of them being close to each other, exchanging ideas and in a way learning from each other...

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Beh - yee - doh

"ll" in Spanish is approx = y in English.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 pm

A little more about visiting the Bellido workshop.

While Jesus and I were talking (in English) Sr. Manuel was working at his instruments, and it was a quite a joy seeing him at work... :-)
He then brought me two of his guitars to try.
Both were loud, powerful instruments. Based on the sound I suspected that the first one had some sort of lattice bracing, while the second one was probably more traditional.
When I expressed my thoughts, Jesus exclaimed:
"Oh, there is nothing traditional about the way my father builds! All of of them are different! Actually, there are luthiers that have learned from him and are building based on how he originally did in the past, but he is not!"
And then he asked his dad how he built the first one, but they couldn't figure out! :D

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for the pronunciation answers.
Sorry for hijacking the thread momentarily.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Public Space”