Judicael Perroy's finger nails

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
kirolak

Judicael Perroy's finger nails

Post by kirolak » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm

I have never seen any guitarist with such long nails, especially his right thumb. Do any of the virtuosi here play with such long nails (apart from maestro McKillop :lol: my little joke!)

decamara

Re: Judicael Perroy's finger nails

Post by decamara » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Too many people place too much attention on other guitarists nails.

Depends on overall shape/genetics
Style
Technique
Sound
Capability

And is ALL highly variable per individual

Being a beginner to intermediate guitarist
Vs a master
Makes a HUGE difference in control and ability/capability

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:45 pm

kirolak wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm
I have never seen any guitarist with such long nails, especially his right thumb. Do any of the virtuosi here play with such long nails (apart from maestro McKillop :lol: my little joke!)
I saw Judicael Perroy a few months ago. I don't remember thinking that Judicael Perroy had especially long nails compared to other virtuosi that I have seen.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I've never had the pleasure of hearing him live, but on a Youtube masterclass I watched, I was surprised to see how long his nails were. I suppose I do pay a lot of attention to other guitarist's' nails, probably because mine as so weak and I use false nails.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:52 am

Yes, he does have very long nails, particularly his thumb nail. He also has marvellous tone and his playing is beautiful (I have had the pleasure of hearing him live)! I recently saw a video of another guitarist with a similarly long thumb-nail, but I can't recall who it was.

Of course, it varies, but I have seen some very long thumb-nails amongst virtuosi guitarists. These are just observations, of course -- we all ought to find what works for us, individually, but nothing wrong with noticing what others do!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:22 am

The long thumb nail is a consequence of the right hand hand position. Jason Vieaux has a very long thumb nail too, as does Adam Holtzman. None of these play the guitar with the same right hand position, but their thumb is far to the left of the fingers and plays quite parallel to the bass strings and so the nail tends to need to be very long to make it work, it seems.

Joey Grimaldi

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 pm

It’s great to have that long thumb nail but sometimes I wonder how they possibly make it through life without breaking it at that length.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Joey Grimaldi wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:34 pm
It’s great to have that long thumb nail but sometimes I wonder how they possibly make it through life without breaking it at that length.
That's why Jason makes his from a ping pong ball.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:41 pm

I had to laugh at the ping pong ball comment, although I know it is quite common. . .I find the really cheap Chinese -made nails work well for me, & I also have a long nail on the thumb. . . (not that it matters what I do, I am not a Great Player ) I know Ali Arango also uses a long thumb nail nowadays. There is an interview with Judicael Perroy (sorry no accents) in which he says the long nails are because of the guitar he is using, he did not plan to have them so long, but they are his own. I didn't "get" his reference to the guitar he plays, so I brought up the subject :)

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Perroy and some others from his school (like Gabriel Bianco) play very lightly and their style only works in Smallman guitars.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 am

You must have long nails, otherwise you don't (even) manage to scratch the surface. :mrgreen:

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Luis_Br wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:53 pm
Perroy and some others from his school (like Gabriel Bianco) play very lightly and their style only works in Smallman guitars.

I did not know that, thank you for mentioning it. . .wish I could afford a Smallman :mrgreen:

Return to “Public Space”