Nylon String Singer/Songwriters

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Nylon String Singer/Songwriters

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 pm

I like that Laura Veirs and Haley Heynderickx use nylon string guitar.

What other active English language singer/songwriters use nylon string guitar?

The only active singer/songwriters using nylon string guitar that I can immediately think of are:
Seu Jorge
Carla Bruni
Edna Vazquez
But See, Carla and Edna don't principally sing in English.

musicbyandy

Re: Nylon String Singer/Songwriters

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm

I've started to create a Spotify playlist featuring (regardless of language) active singer/songwriter recordings that use nylon string guitar:
https://open.spotify.com/user/121278668 ... eUeF2UHorQ

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Not with us anymore but well worth looking up; Jake Thackray. My party piece used to be a mean "Sister Josephine..."
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm
Not with us anymore but well worth looking up; Jake Thackray. My party piece used to be a mean "Sister Josephine..."
Thank you.

Seter

Post by Seter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Willie Nelson

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Seter wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 pm
Willie Nelson
Thank you. I've been listening to Red Headed Stranger in an effort to decide which track I should add to my playlist. Admittedly, I am searching for artists whose recording careers started a few decades after Willie Nelson's recording career.

I recently participated in a conversation that asked, "In the late 1950s and early 1960s was there a surge in the United States of sales for nylon string guitars?

If so, what prompted a surge in the sale of nylon string guitars in the United States in the late 1950s and early 1960s?

Was there a decline in the sale of nylon string guitars in the United States after the late 1950s and early 1960s?

If so, what prompted a decline in the sale of nylon string guitars in the United States after the late 1950s and early 1960s?"

Names and words such as Joan Baez, Harry Belafonte, calypso, bossa-nova, Joao Gilberto, folk movement, Kingston Trio, Francois Hardy, Andres Segovia, archtops, the Beatles and Willie Nelson were mentioned. I felt misfortune, that no one involved in the conversation had a memory of guitar culture in the United States prior to 1950.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 am

Leonard Cohen!! He's Canadian (was -- sadly, he died a couple years ago), English speaking. Check out his first album, from 1967, "Songs of Leonard Cohen" -- it is poetry set to music, with Cohen playing his flamenco guitar. Absolutely sublime, one of the best non-classical music albums ever recorded!

Then, check out the albums that followed. His later stuff had different instrumentation, but the early stuff was folk-pop but with lyrics like you've never heard (Cohen was a published poet and novelist, too!).

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 am

Oh, I see you asked for "active" singer songwriters. Anyway, if you don't know about Leonard Cohen, you ought to -- he's one of the greats!

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am

Not active, but Jose Feliciano comes to mind.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am

Hello,

You might consider listening to Jose Gonzalez : as his name implies, he's swedish and his guitar playing is solid and entertaining. Beautiful songwriting in the Nick Drake mold...
Enjoy !

Regards,
Gilles

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm

I know this is for "active" artists, but I have to mention the under-appreciated Michael Johnson. He was best know for his hit "Bluer than Blue" that made pop radio. But prior to (and after) that, he was a singer-songwriter who did the college and coffeehouse circuit. Just him and a classical guitar. He studied guitar in Spain and had fine technique, and even recorded the 4th Villa-Lobos prelude on his first album.

The early albums in particular feature tracks with some really good guitar playing. Listening to those albums is part of what got me in to playing classical guitar.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm
I know this is for "active" artists, but I have to mention the under-appreciated Michael Johnson. He was best know for his hit "Bluer than Blue" that made pop radio. But prior to (and after) that, he was a singer-songwriter who did the college and coffeehouse circuit. Just him and a classical guitar. He studied guitar in Spain and had fine technique, and even recorded the 4th Villa-Lobos prelude on his first album.

The early albums in particular feature tracks with some really good guitar playing. Listening to those albums is part of what got me in to playing classical guitar.
Yes, his first recording "There Is A Breeze" is really quality stuff. Love his Villa-Lobos study in E Minor.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 am
Oh, I see you asked for "active" singer songwriters. Anyway, if you don't know about Leonard Cohen, you ought to -- he's one of the greats!
Yes, I know about Leonard Cohen and have been wondering who played the tremolo guitar part on the Leonard Cohen's recording of "The Partisan".
Last edited by musicbyandy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am
Not active, but Jose Feliciano comes to mind.
Thank you. A few years ago I read a magazine article regarding popular musicians recording with nylon string guitar and the article included:

Willie Nelson: Red Headed Stranger
Lauren Hill: MTV Unplugged
Leonard Cohen: Song of Leonard Cohen
Joe Pass: I Remember Charlie Parker
Jerry Reed: Explores Guitar Country
Caetano Veloso: Caetano Veloso
Earl Klugh: Solo
Arleta: Arleta
Julie London: Lonely Girl
Caterina Valente: all of Caterina's recordings

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm

gilles T wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am
Hello,

You might consider listening to Jose Gonzalez : as his name implies, he's swedish and his guitar playing is solid and entertaining. Beautiful songwriting in the Nick Drake mold...
Enjoy !

Regards,
Gilles
Thank you for the suggestion. Jose Gonzalez is precisely for what I am searching.

Return to “Public Space”