Nylon String Singer/Songwriters

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
musicbyandy

Re: Nylon String Singer/Songwriters

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm
I know this is for "active" artists, but I have to mention the under-appreciated Michael Johnson. He was best know for his hit "Bluer than Blue" that made pop radio. But prior to (and after) that, he was a singer-songwriter who did the college and coffeehouse circuit. Just him and a classical guitar. He studied guitar in Spain and had fine technique, and even recorded the 4th Villa-Lobos prelude on his first album.

The early albums in particular feature tracks with some really good guitar playing. Listening to those albums is part of what got me in to playing classical guitar.
Thank you. I'm listening to Live at the Bluebird Cafe.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:56 pm

musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 pm
... I know about Leonard Cohen and have been wondering who played the tremolo guitar part on Leonard Cohen's recording of "The Partisan".
Leonard Cohen played it. He often referred to that technique as his "chop" (he meant that as a self-deprecating joke, as if that was his one and only skill on the guitar.)

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:56 pm
musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 pm
... I know about Leonard Cohen and have been wondering who played the tremolo guitar part on Leonard Cohen's recording of "The Partisan".
Leonard Cohen played it. He often referred to that technique as his "chop" (he meant that as a self-deprecating joke, as if that was his one and only skill on the guitar.)
Thank you.

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:25 am

I don't know if they fit your definition of singer-songwriter, but both Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler play nylon string guitars on occasion. EC most famously on some of his Unplugged session tracks.

Woody Guthrie isn't with us anymore, but there are one or two photos of him holding a nylon string guitar. He was of course the paragon of folk singer-songwriters, especially among the folk revivalists of the 50s and 60s.

Well, not that many people are old enough to remember American "guitar culture" much before 1950, though it goes back to the conquistadors and colonists. There's a book called "The Guitar: An American Life" by Tom Brookes--as much homage as history.

Sales of most things in America boomed in the 20 years after world war two--nylon string guitars would have been no exception. They didn't actually exist until after WWII anyway, come to think of it. I'm sure many were bought, for many reasons. Television, beatniks, Segovia and colleagues, flamenco, all probably contributed to its popularity, among other things, along with the folk revival.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 am

Mark Kozelek(Sun Kil Moon)
Philippe Cauvin (I think)
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm

If you like Catholic song writer, listen to John Michael Talbot, he is the only singer that I see holding the classical guitar on his left thigh as he sings, beautiful voice and good guitar playing!
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:06 pm

robert e wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:25 am
I don't know if they fit your definition of singer-songwriter, but both Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler play nylon string guitars on occasion. EC most famously on some of his Unplugged session tracks.

Woody Guthrie isn't with us anymore, but there are one or two photos of him holding a nylon string guitar. He was of course the paragon of folk singer-songwriters, especially among the folk revivalists of the 50s and 60s.

Well, not that many people are old enough to remember American "guitar culture" much before 1950, though it goes back to the conquistadors and colonists. There's a book called "The Guitar: An American Life" by Tom Brookes--as much homage as history.

Sales of most things in America boomed in the 20 years after world war two--nylon string guitars would have been no exception. They didn't actually exist until after WWII anyway, come to think of it. I'm sure many were bought, for many reasons. Television, beatniks, Segovia and colleagues, flamenco, all probably contributed to its popularity, among other things, along with the folk revival.
I love the music of Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Wood Guthrie. Admittedly, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Woody Guthrie are not names I'm searching for as Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Woody Guthrie have been commercially successful artists for several decades.

I've read "The Guitar: An American Life" by Tom Brookes. Thank you for reminding me of this title.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 am
Mark Kozelek(Sun Kil Moon)
Philippe Cauvin (I think)
I forgot about Sun Kil Moon and have never heard of Philippe Cauvin. Thank you!

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm
If you like Catholic song writer, listen to John Michael Talbot, he is the only singer that I see holding the classical guitar on his left thigh as he sings, beautiful voice and good guitar playing!
Catholic music is literally why I started this post. I was sitting in the lunch room of a Catholic music publishing office and noticed that all of the photographs of the company's English language singer/songwriters were playing steel string guitars and all of the Spanish language singer/songwriters were playing nylon string guitars. I then wondered why doesn't someone buck this trend and what non-liturgical active English language singer/songwriters play nylon string guitar.

John Michael Talbot. You've taken my question full circle. Thank you! My company publishes John Michael Talbot but John isn't signed directly with the company.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Jesse Winchester is another great player of nylon string guitars

2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 pm
Jesse Winchester is another great player of nylon string guitars

Thank you!

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I discovered a similiar conversation at AcousticGuitarForum.com and many of the same artists are mentioned as were mentioned here:
acoustic guitar forum nylon string guitars for sing-songwriter

Here is an article I mentioned earlier from Acoustic Guitar Magazine:
http://***/10-essential- ... ar-albums/

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm

gilles T wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am
Hello,

You might consider listening to Jose Gonzalez : as his name implies, he's swedish and his guitar playing is solid and entertaining. Beautiful songwriting in the Nick Drake mold...
Enjoy !

Regards,
Gilles
I love this performance on National Public Radio Tiny Desk:

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm
Not with us anymore but well worth looking up; Jake Thackray. My party piece used to be a mean "Sister Josephine..."
A great performer. A true Yorkshire chansonnier. Much missed. And a great song.

Oh, Sister Josephine,
Founder of the convent pontoon team,
They're looking through your bundles of rare magazines

What a lyric!

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 am
Leonard Cohen!! He's Canadian (was -- sadly, he died a couple years ago), English speaking. Check out his first album, from 1967, "Songs of Leonard Cohen" -- it is poetry set to music, with Cohen playing his flamenco guitar. Absolutely sublime, one of the best non-classical music albums ever recorded!

Then, check out the albums that followed. His later stuff had different instrumentation, but the early stuff was folk-pop but with lyrics like you've never heard (Cohen was a published poet and novelist, too!).
Leonard Cohen was a great singer\songwriter, poet, lyricist, musician , artist... all of the above.
I enjoy his music from all his albums but for me his lyrics from Old Ideas is by far my favorite.
RIP

Return to “Public Space”