Can't find Fernando Sor in the Forum's Archives...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jorge Oliveira

Can't find Fernando Sor in the Forum's Archives...

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Towards the top of each page of this Forum, below the title Board Index, there are a series of links with entries to, among other things, various composers of Classic Guitar: … Lessons - Methods - Tabs - Facsimile - Sanz - Bach - Tarrega - Albeniz - Granados - Llobet - Sagreras - Barrios - Delcamp - SiteMap - Privacy policy of the classicalguitardelcamp.com forum.

Pressing on the entry to Tárrega, for instance, you are directed to an extensive list of Classic Guitar composers, where Tárrega's works are listed on the left side of the page, inclusive with some video-clips of Jean-François Delcamp playing some of them. Now, I would swear that there was an entry for Fernando Sor in this list as well (and how could it be otherwise?), but I cannot find it there anymore. And I'm sure I've consulted it until most recently. In fact, on March 6th I sent to a Forum member a link to Sor's Opus 60 pieces I got from there. The entry to Sor had, for instance, Jean-François Delcamp playing Sor's Opus 60 #7 which served me as inspiration to my own renditions. Can anybody tell me, please, where is it now?
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

soltirefa

Re: Can't find Fernando Sor in the Forum's Archives...

Post by soltirefa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Thank you soltirefa, this is indeed what I was looking for. However, you directed me to the French Forum and it is strange that the same archive is not accessible in the English Forum... :( Or is it? But then, where?

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Quite odd... I roamed through the French Forum (Partitions de guitare classique), the Italian Forum (Spartiti per chitarra classica) and the Spanish Forum (Partituras para guitarra clasica), as well as the English Forum (Free sheet music for classical guitar), and only the French Forum has a direct link to Sor's scores and videos :o. This is awkward as well as misleading, all the four Delcamp Forae should have the same archive content and be organized in the same way... Are they independent from each other? Different people is taking care of each Forum? Doesn't make sense...

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:08 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 pm
Mr. Delcamp said he had to remove all the pages that consisted predominantly of links to the Boije collection (Sor, Giuliani, Aguado, Mertz, etc.) because a recent url change on the Boije site had rendered all the links invalid.
Ah!... from another recent thread, Where is Sor, I finally found a sensible explanation from the sudden disappearance of links to Fernando Sor in the Delcamp's archives. Thank you Geoff...

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

In case you didn't already notice, I got that link I posted by going to Wayback Machine (Internet Archives) and putting in the link to Delcamp and chose a year a long time ago (2012?).

Seems weird that the link to Sor works that way but apparently won't in the present Delcamp.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Oops, I was posting this at the same time as soltirefa was posting the above, but here is what I wrote anyway, as it answers the point raised there:

Just to clarify further, the French site does not have links to the Sor scores in the Boije collection either. The very useful link which soltirefa provided is not to the French page as it is now, but to a copy of the page from a previous year, stored in the archives of the Wayback Machine site. The Sor links on that archived page still work, because they link to similarly archived copies of the scores from the Boije collection.

For instance, when you start from that page and click on the link for opus 01 which was originally found at :
http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ebibliotek/boije/pdf/Boije 458.pdf,
what you get is actually an archived copy on the Wayback Machine site stored at :
https://web.archive.org/web/20120227145444/http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ebibliotek/boije/pdf/Boije%20458.pdf
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am

It occurs to me that you can also access archived copies the other composers (Giuliani, Aguado, etc.) of the Boije collection that were previously indexed here by going to this Wayback Machine snapshot of the relevant forum page from last year:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181120103 ... uitar.html and clicking the relevant link down the right hand column.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am

Thank you soltirefa, thank you Geoff, your indications were quite useful. No, I was not aware of the existence of the Boije collection and of the Wayback Machine (what is it? A mechanism to search ancient pointers?), I thought, naively, I see it now, that the Delcamp archives had this sort of content stored in their serves. I now understand that the entries in Delcamp links were just pointers to a major, centralized, archive, the Boije collection, and this makes sense, of course. But for the convenience of the Forum members, I hope the missing links can be re.established soon. Thanks again! :D

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 pm

The Wayback Machine is a digital archive service (described in Wikipedia here) that constantly crawls the web making archive copies of the contents of websites at varying intervals depending on the site. It can be used by entering the web address of the site to be searched for, and then choosing from a calendar displaying the various dates on which that site was archived.

The Boije collection was a private sheet music collection donated to the Music and Theatre Library of Sweden who digitised it and made it publicly available. As far as I recall (though I may be wrong as it was a long time since I looked), it was rather a complicated procedure at one time to search for individual pieces there, and the index of links produced on this forum provided a quick and easy way to look up works of interest.

However, I see the library now has a page where you can easily find and download pieces from the collection here:
https://musikverket.se/musikochteaterbi ... g/?lang=en

If you click on the Initial of the composer along the bottom of that page, and page through as necessary, there is now a reasonably clear index, and you can open pdfs by clicking on the relevant title.
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Much obliged for your information above, Geoff, I truly appreciated it. Now that you mentioned it, I recall having read in the past something about a reservoir of musical scores stored somewhere in Sweden. It was surely the Boije collection (thanks for the link). As for the Wayback Machine, no, that was entirely new to me. I'll have a look at it as well, thank you.

Best regards,
Jorge

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 am

You're welcome, Jorge. Incidentally, in case you haven't already come across it, there is also a large archive of digitized scores, namely the Rischel collection, at the Danish Royal Library, and since they don't have a convenient index of their own (or never used to anyway) you can find one compiled by Jean-François here. (And the links still work for this one! :wink: )
Classical Guitar Forum.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:16 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 am
You're welcome, Jorge. Incidentally, in case you haven't already come across it, there is also a large archive of digitized scores, namely the Rischel collection, at the Danish Royal Library, and since they don't have a convenient index of their own (or never used to anyway) you can find one compiled by Jean-François here. (And the links still work for this one! :wink: )
No, I did not know the Danish Royal Library either... But I've, just now, roamed through it a bit and...what a treasure! Why, thank you again, Geoff :D. I'm now concentrated in Sor's Opus 35, but all the earlier editions of classic and romantic composers I've come across so far - Aguado, Carulli and Tárrega - they are all there. It would take me a lifetime to explore it all, I guess... :)

Return to “Public Space”