Tips for finger independence (Pumping Nylon Question)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
ndmayfield

Tips for finger independence (Pumping Nylon Question)

Post by ndmayfield » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 am

Hello, All. I purchased Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" several months ago. There are some very useful exercises in the book for an intermediate player like me, but I am utterly confounded with one particular exercise at the beginning of the book. Under the section on finger independence, there is a passage in which fingers 1, 2, and 4 are held in 4 fret position, and finger 3 is asked to play string 6 and string 1 in alternating fashion. I simply cannot make that stretch with 3 while holding 4 in position. Does anyone have any tips for this particular exercise? How can I increase the stretch capability between 3 and 4? It is actually easier to skip ahead in that book to the etudes, but I would like to be able to master all of the exercises if possible.

astro64

Re: Tips for finger independence (Pumping Nylon Question)

Post by astro64 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:43 am

The exercises are not in particular order, so there is no problem skipping ahead or back. They are supposed to be done often and continuously repeated on a regular basis. There are a couple of other exercises in the book that will help build up the ability to separate 3 from 2 and 4, e.g. Odair's exercise and the spider. For this particular one you are mentioning, it helps to start with moving 3 to the 3rd and 5th string first. Once that becomes comfortable, try going one string further. Even if it takes months to get there, there is no rush on these, give it time and don't hurt yourself.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 am

I am doing this (almost) daily, in 5th position, just a few minutes. Things are slowly improving with me. This exercise should be a friend for live and I was recommended to do it as part of my warmup.

If things are difficult, check whether it is easier in a different position. This exercise has two components, you also alternate 2nd and 5th string. Do this and keep trying at 1st and 6th.

It is a standard exercise. I have seen variations of this in various places.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 am

I just red your introduction message. If you have lessons, discuss with your tutor.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm

ndmayfield wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 am
Does anyone have any tips for this particular exercise?
How can I increase the stretch capability between 3 and 4?
Does anyone have any tips for this particular exercise? Practice this particular exercise daily.

How can I increase the stretch capability between 3 and 4? Practice this particular exercise daily.

I love this particular exercise. Good luck!

RockyWestTexas

Post by RockyWestTexas » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:36 pm

ndmayfield

While I found the exercise nearly impossible at first, I got passed that stage and now routinely practice the essence of exercise about once a week.

In my opinion, the exercise is difficult because it assumes mastery of certain fundamentals which a person might not have developed yet. Here are a few that comes to mind. First is the maintenance of good wrist posture. You want to have the fingers able to position/move parallel to the fret. This minimizes the distance each finger needs to travel and simplifies the task. Second, the strength of the different fingers should be “balanced”. In my case, I had a very weak pinky finger and was unable to complete half of the "independence exercise". My solution to the problem was to practice a lot of ascending/descend slurs (i.e., hammer-on and pull-off) until each finger functioned similarly. Third, one needs to develop "opposing finger motion". Without acquiring this skill, the pair of fingers either won’t switch or won’t land simultaneously on the strings. Opposing motion can be develop using other exercises listed in the book. One exercise concerns the opposing motion of neighboring fingers 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. The other two exercises (i.e., the “spider” and Odair’s) concern other opposing finger combinations and are also worth mastering.

After I acquired the above skills, the finger independence exercise became much more manageable for me. Hope this helps.

Rocky

epiphone

Post by epiphone » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:54 pm

You can try ...

ndmayfield

Post by ndmayfield » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks to all for the responses! Breaking it down into individual skills is a great idea...

Return to “Public Space”