Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
630mm
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by 630mm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 am

Here's more from the completed auction #122582581076

1978 Vintage Yamaha Grand Concert Classical Acoustic Guitar GC-5 (S) rare 5 10

Amazing sounding vintage Fujigen made hand crafted Grand Concert here from 1977, GC-5S. Sounds super warm, harmonic and crispy. Please see pics for details. Very playable!
1970 Kuniharu Nobe #10 Spruce 655mm
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1970s Fana 300L Cedar 630mm
2016 Benito Huipe Clasica Cedar 655mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Beowulf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:03 pm

It is a Yamaha...I have no idea why the seller referenced Fujigen, primarily an electric guitar maker.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

630mm
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by 630mm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks. I wondered if it was a mistake as well. Maybe a remnant from a prior auction. The seller was in Japan so I thought that since that series was made for local consumption in Japan, and was right before they moved some GC operations to Taiwan, maybe they might have tried a local maker with one of Yamaha's luthiers to lower costs first.
1970 Kuniharu Nobe #10 Spruce 655mm
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1970s Fana 300L Cedar 630mm
2016 Benito Huipe Clasica Cedar 655mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

waikuentsui
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Saskatchewan Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by waikuentsui » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 am

Beowulf wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
630mm wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am
I was looking at some late 70s Japan made GCs on the bay and noticed one of the auctions stated that the GC5s in the listing was made by Fujigen. The signature appeared to be Harada. I was unaware of that collaboration. Does anyone have more information?
I have never come across any association between Yamaha classical guitars and Fujigen.
The following is a quotation from a thread on the internet regarding Made in Japan badged guitar.

"Fujigen Gakki began operation in 1960 as a classical guitar manufacturer, moving into the lucrative electric guitar markets in 1962. The company was the largest producer of Japanese guitars during the 1960-1980 period. They were known for producing high quality products, especially for the badged guitar market, which is why the company was selected by so many major American brands. It wasn't until 1970 that the company began making products for the venerable Ibanez brand, which was an unqualified success. Fujigen Gakki was the main manufacturer of choice for Greco badged guitars in the 1970 to 1980 period. They also produced guitars for major manufacturer Yamaha. Badged guitars made by Fujigen include Antoria, Epiphone, Jason and Mann. Badged guitars that may have been made by Fujigen Gakki were Marlin and St. Moritz."

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Beowulf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:46 pm

waikuentsui wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 am
Beowulf wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
630mm wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am
I was looking at some late 70s Japan made GCs on the bay and noticed one of the auctions stated that the GC5s in the listing was made by Fujigen. The signature appeared to be Harada. I was unaware of that collaboration. Does anyone have more information?
I have never come across any association between Yamaha classical guitars and Fujigen.
The following is a quotation from a thread on the internet regarding Made in Japan badged guitar.

"Fujigen Gakki began operation in 1960 as a classical guitar manufacturer, moving into the lucrative electric guitar markets in 1962. The company was the largest producer of Japanese guitars during the 1960-1980 period. They were known for producing high quality products, especially for the badged guitar market, which is why the company was selected by so many major American brands. It wasn't until 1970 that the company began making products for the venerable Ibanez brand, which was an unqualified success. Fujigen Gakki was the main manufacturer of choice for Greco badged guitars in the 1970 to 1980 period. They also produced guitars for major manufacturer Yamaha. Badged guitars made by Fujigen include Antoria, Epiphone, Jason and Mann. Badged guitars that may have been made by Fujigen Gakki were Marlin and St. Moritz."
Perhaps they were electric or acoustic guitars? Yamaha established its Guitar Research and Development Division in April 1966. They introduced the GC-3-5-7-10 in November 1967 after Eduardo Ferrer came to Japan to provide Yamaha craftmen with guidance from October 1966 through 1967. I haven't found any evidence of outsourcing of Yamaha classical guitars...but I suppose it might have happened at the lower level in the early days.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

micklerd
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by micklerd » Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm

ashepps wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 am
I wish someone could give us a full rendition of all Grand Concert models produced during the 70s and into the 80's.
Alan
I recently bought a vintage 1972 Yamaha GC-6D classical guitar, made in Japan. Label on inside of guitar body reads "YAMAHA GC-6D HANDMADE NO. 1571" and signed by Toshio Kato. Additional number "7862" with Yamaha logo is stamped inside the body, on heel of the neck. Information on this guitar is very, very difficult to find. The forums here have been a god send.

The tuners on the GC-6D need to be replaced. This standard spacing on almost all guitars is 35mm. However the GC-6D has tuning machines with 39mm spacing. In my research, I came on the Yamaha Parts List System. The link below takes you to a complete list of Yamaha Grand Concert models produce along with the years they were produced. Clicking on the model number link will take you to the specific page listing all currently available replacement parts. Sadly, few parts are available for the oldest models.

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/W ... &mc=0&sc=0

I wish the archvie were still up...

- Derrick

DamianJRyan

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by DamianJRyan » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 am

Damian here, I have owned a GC3 since 1987 when I bought it new. It has served me well over the years.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2591
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by HNLim » Sun May 27, 2018 1:10 pm

DamianJRyan wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 am
Damian here, I have owned a GC3 since 1987 when I bought it new. It has served me well over the years.
It will be good to share some photos.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

kennycraze
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:12 am
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by kennycraze » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 am

I am a new member and have 4 GC models in nice shape. I find them to be beautifully made with high grade materials. I have a GC 10A, 15A, 20A and 6D. I would appreciate any comment or interest.

User avatar
Bob Newby
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Portsmouth, New Hampsire, USA

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Bob Newby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Kenny,

Welcome to Delcamp. If you haven't yet discovered it, there is another topic you may want to check out, namely the Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club thread, which is at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=106447.

Cheers,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S
Yamaki-built Washburn A/F66SW

gleb
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 pm
Location: Milan

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by gleb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:26 am

kennycraze wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 am
I have a GC 10A, 15A, 20A and 6D.
Do you find much difference between these at the sound level?
Yamaha GC20A (1980)
Yamaha G-245S (1981)
Yamaha G-250S (1980)
Yamaha G-255S (1980)
Aria A-558 (1978 Nagoya)
Aria A-50C (Japan - Nagoya)
Mozzani-C (1968)
Kiso Suzuki-290
M.Suzuki-202
Yamaha FGX800C
Alhambra (Lucio Carbone mod)
Höfner HF14

ashepps
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:17 pm

micklerd wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm
ashepps wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 am
I wish someone could give us a full rendition of all Grand Concert models produced during the 70s and into the 80's.
Alan
I recently bought a vintage 1972 Yamaha GC-6D classical guitar, made in Japan. Label on inside of guitar body reads "YAMAHA GC-6D HANDMADE NO. 1571" and signed by Toshio Kato. Additional number "7862" with Yamaha logo is stamped inside the body, on heel of the neck. Information on this guitar is very, very difficult to find. The forums here have been a god send.

The tuners on the GC-6D need to be replaced. This standard spacing on almost all guitars is 35mm. However the GC-6D has tuning machines with 39mm spacing. In my research, I came on the Yamaha Parts List System. The link below takes you to a complete list of Yamaha Grand Concert models produce along with the years they were produced. Clicking on the model number link will take you to the specific page listing all currently available replacement parts. Sadly, few parts are available for the oldest models.

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/W ... &mc=0&sc=0

I wish the archvie were still up...

- Derrick
Derrick, Thanks for the Yamaha link. More models were produced in the 70s than I thought and overlapping one another as well!

Regards - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

User avatar
Kl3tz
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Kl3tz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 am

Interested,
just bought a G245s which is currently being refitted with bone and refretted.
I couldn't seem to locate the serial number inside anywhere. :|

I would like to know:
  • Where can I find the serial number?
Thanks heaps,
Marco
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

User avatar
Bob Newby
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Portsmouth, New Hampsire, USA

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Bob Newby » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Kl3tz wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 am
Interested,
just bought a G245s which is currently being refitted with bone and refretted.
I couldn't seem to locate the serial number inside anywhere. :|

I would like to know:
  • Where can I find the serial number?
Thanks heaps,
Marco that
Hi Marco,

I am the orginal owner of a G245S. A nice instrument considering its affordability.

There are actually two (2) serial numbers stamped in mine, and I am not totally sure which one is for the entire guitar. One serial number is on the cross brace that runs below frets 17 and 18, i.e., just inside the top's sound hole. The other, which is in the more typical location for a classical guitar's serial number, is on the end of the neck that is inside the instrument's body. Take a flashlight and look inside the body in the direction of the neck and you will see the serial number(s).

I also upgraded to a bone nut and saddle. In addition, I upgraded to Gotoh tuners, which makes for smoother and stabler tuning. (The original tuners are not so great.)

Enjoy your G245S!

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S
Yamaki-built Washburn A/F66SW

User avatar
Kl3tz
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Kl3tz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks Bob, appreciate the feedback.
My neck heel on the inside seems bare (see attached photos).
I've looked through the interior with my phone torch on and in video mode, but couldn't seem to locate it.

I'll keep searching :)

Thanks for the tip with the tuners, will consider this.

:merci:

All the best,
Marco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

Return to “Public Space”