Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Tricky Fish

Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by Tricky Fish » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 am

Personally, I'd love to be able to play Beethoven's symphonies on CG, especially 5 & 9, but I haven't heard anything that comes close to capturing the full impact of these pieces on CG. And I've listened to a few versions of Chopin's nocturnes on CG, but none have the sublime perfection of a good piano interpretation.

What non-CG classical repertoire would you like to be able to play, but haven't heard a good interpretation/transcription? Or is the piece fundamentally unsuited to CG?

randalljazz

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by randalljazz » Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 pm

ha! endless...but prokofiev piano sonatas, for starters...debussy images...scriabin piano sonata #5...liszt...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat May 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Tricky Fish wrote:Personally, I'd love to be able to play Beethoven's symphonies on CG, especially 5 & 9, but I haven't heard anything that comes close to capturing the full impact of these pieces on CG.
Don't hold your breath...
:mrgreen:

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat May 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Yes, might be expecting a bit much. Then again 3 or 4 Marshall 100 W heads, a few 4 x 4 cabinets and you may just start to make headway.
Historicalguitars.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Edson Lopes has a transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on the tube. It's his own transcription, which he plays brilliantly.
But I find it very disappointing. This music was written to be played on an organ, and will fill a church or cathedral. No guitar transcription can ever do it justice; the guitar just doesn't have the volume, the fullness of tone, or the sustain of a church organ.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat May 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Evocacion wrote:Edson Lopes has a transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on the tube. It's his own transcription, which he plays brilliantly.
But I find it very disappointing. This music was written to be played on an organ, and will fill a church or cathedral. No guitar transcription can ever do it justice; the guitar just doesn't have the volume, the fullness of tone, or the sustain of a church organ.
Indeed. Except that, perhaps, just possibly, it was written for solo violin. Which is part of the point of playing it on guitar of course. Tricky to separate the appreciation of something, from the sound it normally makes.

I've never found an organist willing to contemplate that possibility, though personally I found it fairly persuasive.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Tintinabuli. For example the Dublin Quartet's version of Arvo Pärt's 'Summa' is consummate, however like the choral version it just does not match the string version's beauty. I was thinking of scoring a tremolo version of 'Spiegel Im Spiegel', but then I think <why?>, for ego?...it sounds best played with the original orchestration.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sat May 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Most orchestral works, choral works, and honestly most fugues. It just doesn't have the range or sustain for them.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun May 17, 2015 12:17 am

I've fantasized about some sections of Beethoven's late string quartets being transcribed. But I don't think that it could ever work. Not a whole movement for sure. The instrumentation is just too different. Anyway, I couldn't possibly play the score!

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 am

I was thinking more along the lines of some Billy Joel music who I loved in the 80s but to be honest I haven't checked out whether there are any classical guitar or fingerstyle arrangements.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sun May 17, 2015 1:45 am

Mozart in general—my favorite composer, but I've never run across any transcription that I found playable.
- Donnie

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun May 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Ravel. I've seen some for guitar duets, but nothing interesting for solo guitar.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

DanFarm

Post by DanFarm » Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 pm

I would love to be able to play some of the prettier parts from the Brandenburg Concertos solo. Movement 3 from concerto 5, for example. I might be waiting a while.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue May 26, 2015 7:28 pm

How about an impressionistic version of the Beatles' Rain? I'm picturing Takemitsu meets Lennon. But maybe keep the voice and do a guitar accompaniment...

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Whiteagle wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of some Billy Joel music who I loved in the 80s but to be honest I haven't checked out whether there are any classical guitar or fingerstyle arrangements.
Jim Bosse has arranged some of Billy Joel's music for guitar.

http://www.jimbosse.com/default.htm

cheers!
dirck

Return to “Public Space”