Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Lovemyguitar

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 am

Cipher wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 am
...Now here's Debussy Reverie played by Julian Bream and John Williams and it's an example how two masters can make a piece as beautiful or even more beautiful than the original piano solo. ... Bream and Williams also play Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk and Clair de Lune which work well as guitar duos as well.
Ah, the Bream-Willliams version of Reverie is one of my favourite classical guitar recordings of all time (and their Clair de Lune). Magical!

I do agree with others that it would be nice to have more music of this nature for solo guitar, as that is what I most like listening to and playing.

No offence to those who like multiple guitar ensembles (trios/quartets/quintets/octets/orchestras made up of guitars and nothing else), but for me, a guitar duo is my preferential limit.

decacorde

Re: Non-CG repertoire that you'd like to play, but doesn't / hasn't transcribed well to CG

Post by decacorde » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:37 am

Massenet - Meditation (from "Thais"). I know 3 arrangements for guitar by Angel Romero, Laurindo Almeida and Richard Yates but still longing for a more successful arrangement.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Cipher wrote:
musicbyandy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Cipher wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 am

Both of these Ravel pieces for guitar ensemble are very well arranged and played especially the movement from Ravel's beautiful quartet. Unfortunately they also show the limitations of the guitar. Most obvious flaws - not being able to sustain notes and play passages with fluidity which are essential to Ravel's soundscape.
Do you think that this arrangement shows the limitations of the guitar?
No not at all - in this particular arr. of Debussy's Reverie it relegates the guitar to accompaniment-only which isn't bad, it's just that it doesn't feature the guitar on an equal plane with the two wind instruments.

Now here's Debussy Reverie played by Julian Bream and John Williams and it's an example how two masters can make a piece as beautiful or even more beautiful than the original piano solo.

Now the texture of the Debussy Reverie is not as dense as the movement from the Ravel String Quartet that you posted earlier so there's much more time for the notes to breathe and they don't overpower the guitar or make technical demands that the guitar can't play convincingly and smoothly so this particular piece is quite successful as a guitar duo. Bream and Williams also play Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk and Clair de Lune which work well as guitar duos as well.
Thank you for replying and sharing.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 am

musicbyandy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 pm
Cipher wrote:
musicbyandy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Do you think that this arrangement shows the limitations of the guitar?
No not at all - in this particular arr. of Debussy's Reverie it relegates the guitar to accompaniment-only which isn't bad, it's just that it doesn't feature the guitar on an equal plane with the two wind instruments.

Now here's Debussy Reverie played by Julian Bream and John Williams and it's an example how two masters can make a piece as beautiful or even more beautiful than the original piano solo.

Now the texture of the Debussy Reverie is not as dense as the movement from the Ravel String Quartet that you posted earlier so there's much more time for the notes to breathe and they don't overpower the guitar or make technical demands that the guitar can't play convincingly and smoothly so this particular piece is quite successful as a guitar duo. Bream and Williams also play Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk and Clair de Lune which work well as guitar duos as well.
Thank you for replying and sharing.
My pleasure! Thanks for the Thank You! :D

Kl3tz

Post by Kl3tz » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 am

I find this duo of Reverie to be my favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMUf3-9D-OM

(Debussy's Rêverie played by the Hand Dupré Guitar Duo. Arranged by Richard Hand.)
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

gtrfinger

Post by gtrfinger » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 pm

There's a version of the 1st Movement of Beethoven's 5th, by Kelly Valleau that is absolutely extraordinary, arranged for solo guitar.
google Mike Fowler guitar

Return to “Public Space”