are gestures and facial expression essential in a performance?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Regulus

Re: are gestures and facial expression essential in a performance?

Post by Regulus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 am

I have various reactions to facial expressions depending on the circumstances and the music. Although I love watching Stephanie Jones play and have no issues with her expressions.
I like seeing the contrast between Bream and Williams, and the 2 Assad brothers when they are together. Williams is not famous for his expressiveness except on guitar, while Bream is famous for both. The younger Assad is much more expressive than his brother, who is more constrained.
If it seems genuine, I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't subtract from the music.

montana

Post by montana » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:15 am

Actually try it yourself for a while. I did. Seems I was much more focused and made less mistakes.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other as I usually listen with my eyes closed.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm

It's a way to communicate with the audience. For example if a performer really looks uncomfortable playing a passage or a technique, the audience would pick it up easily. Joe Satriani (elec guitar player) seems to be calm and in control all the time even though he's playing rock music. on the other hand, Pavel Steidl has his own body language and facial expressions that are intentionally funny, sometimes.

Here's an example:

Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 am

Write_Rich wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Another thought on facial movements. My old guitar professor told me about the "Jazz face".. Basically if you make a mistake while performing you look up to the sky and close your eyes like you meant to play those notes. 99% of the time your audience will think you are getting your groove on and not recovering from a mistake. Try it!
Just saw Andrew York on video - now I know it is called ''jazz face''. I am sure though that AY was getting his groove on and did not make a mistake.

Pavel Steidl looked very interesting too. Unfortunately I am in the Segovia/Williams camp.

:lol:

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:07 am

Steidl doesn't just make the gestures: his performances demonstrate control of dynamics, tone color, phrasing, etc that are far above what most guitarists can deliver. So, while the gestures may seem excessive to some, the performances speak for themselves.

Return to “Public Space”