664 scale length

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DanielIndo

Re: 664 scale length

Post by DanielIndo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi everyone
I am new in this forum, live in Surabaya, Indonesia. I think Asian people prefer 650 scale or even smaller owing to the smaller fingers (my opinion). However, since I ever play violin, violoncello 3/4 7/8 and 4/4; there is some difference of "sound" or timbre that maybe caused of different amplitude of sound wave that cannot imitated by smaller instrument. Thus it is depend on individual taste, if you like the sound just take it; you have already know the difficulties; just play the right Partiture for you if you use the 664. Cause myself never try a 664 my opinion just a logic thinking based on my experience in playing several stringed instruments. Regards from Indonesia

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm

edcat7 wrote:I can't get Alan's Yamaha out of my head. There are so many good reasons for me not to get it

Ed
Well, have you bought this yet?
8)
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
edcat7 wrote:I can't get Alan's Yamaha out of my head. There are so many good reasons for me not to get it

Ed
8)
I've put in an offer and Alan wishes to wait for more offers.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:49 am

edcat7 wrote:
Guitar-ded wrote:

Ed
8)
This guitar has exactly the same specifications as the GC70 but different bracing. More powerful bass at the expense of very clear treble.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:53 pm

What Polifemo said... and a bit more. It all depends on the guitar, and what you are comfortable with.

Measured hand span has little to do with whether you need a longer or shorter scale: too many factors involved. My span, measured, is 8" -- I played a Ramirez 1a for years, and like he said, it's a tough play; it's the guitar's setup as much as anything that makes it a beast. Wide, dead-flat fingerboard, high action... but my hand, even after years of playing, while very flexible, is still relatively small. It was, in my case, getting in the way; I spent more energy trying to just play the darn thing, even with very good technique. I did throw in the towel and while I still have my beloved 1a, opted for a 640 from another luthier. And it *is* easier to play.
Does it solve every technical problem? Far from it; but it helps a lot. I've heard, anecdotally, that many players, even with bigger hands, are for shorter-scale instruments (ca 640) -- it's just easier on the LH. And why not? Playing the guitar shouldn't be a test of machismo! :mrgreen:

I play guitar with classical mandolin groups. A tiny instrument like that (to my guitarist's eyes, anyone)... and yet one very fine player mentioned to me one day that she needed a shorter-scale mandolin. Now, I think the neck of the instrument she was playing was ca 16" nut to saddle...!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Riff Ram

Post by Riff Ram » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:52 pm

I play both 650 and 664, and these days prefer the extra room up the neck from the longer scale. My hands are not small, and my stretch and flexibility is probably pretty good.

Watching YouTube videos of very petite women--even girls--playing guitars beautifully that look far too big for them suggests that some of us may fret too much over small scale length differences.

merry_zhao

Post by merry_zhao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

mine is 23.2cm, about 9.1+", theoretically I shall go for which length? thanks.

merry_zhao

Post by merry_zhao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:49 am
edcat7 wrote:
Guitar-ded wrote:
8)
This guitar has exactly the same specifications as the GC70 but different bracing. More powerful bass at the expense of very clear treble.
YAMAHA GC30A is great!
Hey, Mr Lim, I come back to the forum after so many years, I lost my old account now creat this new.

Lizhao

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm

merry_zhao wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm
HNLim wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:49 am
edcat7 wrote:
YAMAHA GC30A is great!
Hey, Mr Lim, I come back to the forum after so many years, I lost my old account now creat this new.

Lizhao
Hi Lizhao

Welcome back! Hope that you enjoy your Yamaha GC30A.

Lim HN
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 pm

What I've noticed recently is not so much the finger stretch on my Yamaha GC-20D but that my left pinkie bends in making it harder to press down. I looked at my teacher's fingers and he does not have this problem.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Return to “Public Space”