Music Notation reference guide

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
David Gutowski

Music Notation reference guide

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 am

Does anyone know of a good guide for music notation? I'm composing pieces and would like to have a handy-dandy reference guide to refer to as I make up my masterpieces.
Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
David :chitarrista:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Music Notation Guide

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:14 am

Does anyone know of a good music notation guide? I need one to help with my masterpieces...something concise but loaded with all the essentials.

Thanks,
David :merci:

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

guitarrista

Re: Music Notation reference guide

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:16 am

The wiki article is pretty good, is it not?

List_of_musical_symbols (including the "See Also" links).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:35 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I have a copy of that and must be off my meds (so to speak) I forgot I had it... now all I need is a good composer guide...not too elaborate just a handy reference book I can check as I compose.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Regards,
David

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 am

I use Kurt Stone's venerable Music Notation in the 20th Century.

cheers!

dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

bergmann

Re: Music Notation Guide

Post by bergmann » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Elaine Gould: Behind Bars, is very good and has a section only about guitar notation.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Time for a field trip? A visit to a college bookstore may be in order?

The music composition class section should yield some treasures. If you are composing for instruments other than guitar, a basic text will provide information about the ranges of various instruments. If you are not using a computer in your work, a text will also provide rules and hints to make your score conform with copyists' conventions. Good luck!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 pm

wikipedia is pretty good.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 pm

I have "Essential Dictionary of Music Notation" Tom Gerou & Linda Lusk pub; Alfred (1996) which I think is fine as a starter, although the actual examples are of from Finale of 1996 and so pretty awful point of view font etc.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

CarlitosXhan

Post by CarlitosXhan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Hard to find that "concise but full loaded with essentials" guide. Are you composing your own guitar music? Maybe i can help you if you're not hurry, cause once i tried to find that 'A4 sized full guitar notation guide' and i didn't. I don't know what knowledge level you have in musical notation, but it is important not to confuse guitar especifically notation (strings, fingers, idiomatic resources, etc) with musical notation in general (musical phrasing, legato-phrases, 'let vibrate' sections, etc). It seems obvious but sometimes it gets a little confusing, depending on what your music needs about notation to fully express your ideas.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:03 am

CarlitosXhan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Hard to find that "concise but full loaded with essentials" guide. Are you composing your own guitar music? Maybe i can help you if you're not hurry, cause once i tried to find that 'A4 sized full guitar notation guide' and i didn't. I don't know what knowledge level you have in musical notation, but it is important not to confuse guitar especifically notation (strings, fingers, idiomatic resources, etc) with musical notation in general (musical phrasing, legato-phrases, 'let vibrate' sections, etc). It seems obvious but sometimes it gets a little confusing, depending on what your music needs about notation to fully express your ideas.
Thanks for the post. I'm just looking for basic music notation information. I'm only starting out on composing and think a guide next to me would be helpful. What I've been doing is looking at how other scores are written but that's proving cumbersome because they don't always fit what I'm trying to say musically.
Thanks again and welcome to the forum...you'll love the price for admission.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 pm
I have "Essential Dictionary of Music Notation" Tom Gerou & Linda Lusk pub; Alfred (1996) which I think is fine as a starter, although the actual examples are of from Finale of 1996 and so pretty awful point of view font etc.
Thanks Stephen...I'll check it out. Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. And thanks again for your helpful advise on composing and the key structure. I guess the bill is in the mail. :D

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:14 am

bergmann wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm
Elaine Gould: Behind Bars, is very good and has a section only about guitar notation.
Thanks for the heads up. I would like to have a notation guide specifically designed for guitar. I've noticed general notation guides but they have a lot of piano or orchestra information and all I'm looking for is the basics...thanks again.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 am

CathyCate wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:34 pm
Time for a field trip? A visit to a college bookstore may be in order?

The music composition class section should yield some treasures. If you are composing for instruments other than guitar, a basic text will provide information about the ranges of various instruments. If you are not using a computer in your work, a text will also provide rules and hints to make your score conform with copyists' conventions. Good luck!
Good idea. We do have a community college in the area and it has a book store but it's pretty small.
"copyists' conventions" My compositions are made up by me so I wouldn't want any confusion on who did the composing. If I'm writing the piece I can make it sound anyway I want-can't I?
Thanks for the feedback.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:26 am

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 pm
wikipedia is pretty good.
Right...they have a great guide and I had made a copy when I first started playing a few years ago and totally forgot it...I have it now but looking for a small book type that is a little more inclusive...thanks for the suggestion. I've found that by writing music and composing pieces it's a big help in learning to play...very big help!

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “Composers' Workshop”