MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
prawnheed

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by prawnheed » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Not yet very well. There are a few that claim, none of them work very well yet with complex music. Scorecloud is one to try.

Wuuthrad
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Not yet very well. There are a few that claim, none of th work very well yet with complex music. Scorecloud is one to try.
Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I recall advancements in pitch recognition technology, but it was mostly monophonic if I remember correctly. And tempo matching seems to have been all the rage in this modern era of mechanized music.

Is hardware surpassing the capabilities of software? That is my suspicion. I hope programmers will be able to write software that does what I mentioned. Maybe there aren't enough perceivable profits in it.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by sxedio » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Are you trying to make scores out of your own playing? There are a number of technologies for guitar to midi ( e.g. hexaphonic pickup fed into Roland/Axon guitar synths, more options for steel string players), and even guitar shaped midi controllers (I use a YouRock guitar). If you are trying to transcribe other recordings, some of the technology seems to exist, search e.g. for the Ableton Live software DAW : 'convert Harmony to new midi track'.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

prawnheed

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by prawnheed » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Not yet very well. There are a few that claim, none of th work very well yet with complex music. Scorecloud is one to try.
Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I recall advancements in pitch recognition technology, but it was mostly monophonic if I remember correctly. And tempo matching seems to have been all the rage in this modern era of mechanized music.

Is hardware surpassing the capabilities of software? That is my suspicion. I hope programmers will be able to write software that does what I mentioned. Maybe there aren't enough perceivable profits in it.
I think it is just a difficult problem to solve. Not many people in the world can reliably transcribe music by ear. And those who can use a mix of what they are hearing, what they know about music theory and what they know about the instruments involved to do it. How that works in the brain we do not know.

AI will get there and there are some projects that have that goal, but they are still in the early days. The successful might make some money, but I doubt that's why many of the people working on it are doing it.

AndreiKrylov

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 pm

sxedio wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Are you trying to make scores out of your own playing? There are a number of technologies for guitar to midi ( e.g. hexaphonic pickup fed into Roland/Axon guitar synths, more options for steel string players), and even guitar shaped midi controllers (I use a YouRock guitar). If you are trying to transcribe other recordings, some of the technology seems to exist, search e.g. for the Ableton Live software DAW : 'convert Harmony to new midi track'.
Yes they exist, but nothing suitable for work yet. It is still lot easier to write score on paper... all these things not a big help yet...
and I like MuseScore - good tool.

AndreiKrylov

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:54 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm


Not yet very well. There are a few that claim, none of th work very well yet with complex music. Scorecloud is one to try.
Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I recall advancements in pitch recognition technology, but it was mostly monophonic if I remember correctly. And tempo matching seems to have been all the rage in this modern era of mechanized music.

Is hardware surpassing the capabilities of software? That is my suspicion. I hope programmers will be able to write software that does what I mentioned. Maybe there aren't enough perceivable profits in it.
I think it is just a difficult problem to solve. Not many people in the world can reliably transcribe music by ear. And those who can use a mix of what they are hearing, what they know about music theory and what they know about the instruments involved to do it. How that works in the brain we do not know.

AI will get there and there are some projects that have that goal, but they are still in the early days. The successful might make some money, but I doubt that's why many of the people working on it are doing it.
The problem that there is almost no money made in publishing scores anymore, therefore nobody really interested in it as a business case...
The new business model now is not to make money on score or on music, but to make money on people who make music or scores.

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by sxedio » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:59 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 pm


Yes they exist, but nothing suitable for work yet. It is still lot easier to write score on paper... all these things not a big help yet...
and I like MuseScore - good tool.
Hi Andrei, I know you've used Roland guitar to midi before, which I've only tried once in a shop (too expensive!) so I'll believe you on that. I've found the combination YouRock guitar and Musescore helpful, once you accept their limitations and try and work round them, e.g. left hand only tap mode on the midi controller, step mode entry rather than real time playing etc. I wasn't doing much scoring with pencil and paper back then, again I'll believe you that for someone used to writing scores it's still faster to just write them by hand!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

prawnheed

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by prawnheed » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:54 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm


Thank you, I thought that might be the case. I recall advancements in pitch recognition technology, but it was mostly monophonic if I remember correctly. And tempo matching seems to have been all the rage in this modern era of mechanized music.

Is hardware surpassing the capabilities of software? That is my suspicion. I hope programmers will be able to write software that does what I mentioned. Maybe there aren't enough perceivable profits in it.
I think it is just a difficult problem to solve. Not many people in the world can reliably transcribe music by ear. And those who can use a mix of what they are hearing, what they know about music theory and what they know about the instruments involved to do it. How that works in the brain we do not know.

AI will get there and there are some projects that have that goal, but they are still in the early days. The successful might make some money, but I doubt that's why many of the people working on it are doing it.
The problem that there is almost no money made in publishing scores anymore, therefore nobody really interested in it as a business case...
The new business model now is not to make money on score or on music, but to make money on people who make music or scores.
I think the model is to make money from selling advertising. I fully expect the scores the software produces to have adverts for google's products embedded in them in innovative ways.

AndreiKrylov

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:20 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:54 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am


I think it is just a difficult problem to solve. Not many people in the world can reliably transcribe music by ear. And those who can use a mix of what they are hearing, what they know about music theory and what they know about the instruments involved to do it. How that works in the brain we do not know.

AI will get there and there are some projects that have that goal, but they are still in the early days. The successful might make some money, but I doubt that's why many of the people working on it are doing it.
The problem that there is almost no money made in publishing scores anymore, therefore nobody really interested in it as a business case...
The new business model now is not to make money on score or on music, but to make money on people who make music or scores.
I think the model is to make money from selling advertising. I fully expect the scores the software produces to have adverts for google's products embedded in them in innovative ways.
it will be the best if they will go that way and I hope that you are right!

LBrandt
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 am

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by LBrandt » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:27 pm

I can't get Musescore 2.2 to download. I have an older version, but the new one won't download.

User avatar
pogmoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9655
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by pogmoor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:43 pm

LBrandt wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:27 pm
I can't get Musescore 2.2 to download. I have an older version, but the new one won't download.
On the the MuseScore download page there are two links highlighted in blue that say: Download for Windows, and Download for Mac. Click on one of these and you should get the download. However it also says: Your download will start in 0 seconds. Problems with the download? Please use this direct link (giving another link to txhe download). What happens when you try it?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

LBrandt
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 am

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by LBrandt » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:43 pm
LBrandt wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:27 pm
I can't get Musescore 2.2 to download. I have an older version, but the new one won't download.
On the the MuseScore download page there are two links highlighted in blue that say: Download for Windows, and Download for Mac. Click on one of these and you should get the download. However it also says: Your download will start in 0 seconds. Problems with the download? Please use this direct link (giving another link to txhe download). What happens when you try it?
Yes, I dd that, and still nothing happens. I'll keep trying.

Wuuthrad
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 pm

sxedio wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
Slighty off topic, but is there software that can make a score from an audio recording? Thank you!
Are you trying to make scores out of your own playing? There are a number of technologies for guitar to midi ( e.g. hexaphonic pickup fed into Roland/Axon guitar synths, more options for steel string players), and even guitar shaped midi controllers (I use a YouRock guitar). If you are trying to transcribe other recordings, some of the technology seems to exist, search e.g. for the Ableton Live software DAW : 'convert Harmony to new midi track'.
Yes that's basically what I wanted to do: convert audio recordings to scores. Score writing was never my forte.

I am aware of guitar synths and some guitar to midi, but not the one you mentioned, and didn't realize their was potential for polyphonic recording.

I wish their was a microphone XLR to midi adapter/splitter cable, or is this an impossible dream?

I'll have a look at Ableton live again, it may have a functionality I'm looking for. I demo'd it many years ago for some audio projects.

Thanks everyone!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

User avatar
pogmoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9655
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by pogmoor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Wuuthrad wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 pm
Yes that's basically what I wanted to do: convert audio recordings to scores. Score writing was never my forte.

I am aware of guitar synths and some guitar to midi, but not the one you mentioned, and didn't realize their was potential for polyphonic recording.
I think Melodyne does audio to midi conversion as well as anything else available. Look for 'Melodyne: Extracting a guitar lick to MIDI' on YouTube. If you do this sort of conversion the midi file you get may be tricky to convert into notation because the timings of the notes in a real performance are always inexact. So to convert to a score you may have to inspect the midi file and adjust the start and finish times of each note.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Wuuthrad
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: MuseScore version 2.2 is released today, March 27

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 pm
Wuuthrad wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:58 pm
Yes that's basically what I wanted to do: convert audio recordings to scores. Score writing was never my forte.

I am aware of guitar synths and some guitar to midi, but not the one you mentioned, and didn't realize their was potential for polyphonic recording.
I think Melodyne does audio to midi conversion as well as anything else available. Look for 'Melodyne: Extracting a guitar lick to MIDI' on YouTube. If you do this sort of conversion the midi file you get may be tricky to convert into notation because the timings of the notes in a real performance are always inexact. So to convert to a score you may have to inspect the midi file and adjust the start and finish times of each note.
Fantastic! Cheers for that. I'm going to look into it. Part of my desire for a magic audio to MIDI cable (with an embedded chip or something,) is due to the fact that although computers and music are very convenient, they're a bit of a rabbit hole for me. Almost too many options.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Return to “Composers' Workshop”