Inquiry about scoring programs.

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
J. Herman

Inquiry about scoring programs.

Post by J. Herman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 am

I’m looking for recommendations for any good scoring software. I’m not all that computer savvy. I’ve dabbled with some but have issues with them allowing proper notation in treble clef, not allowing treble clef staves only , etc. I don’t need fancy. Just something that works well for guitar and doesn’t break the bank account. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

prawnheed

Re: Inquiry about scoring programs.

Post by prawnheed » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 am

i use Musescore. It's flexible enough for me. And free.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am

Musescore is a good choice. For myself, I use Lilypond with the Frescobaldi graphics interface. Lilypond handles multiple voices well, although tweaking the output requires more knowledge and experience. It generates a MIDI sound file if you want, although you don't need know how that happens in the background. It is also free. All software has some learning curve. Cheers... Richard

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm

For basic stuff, Musescore.

For anything demanding professional layout, Finale, Sibelius or Dorico.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Avid have just announced that their entry level notation software Sibelius First is available free, so this might be a good choice. However MuseScore is difficult to beat - free and fully-featured.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

J. Herman

Post by J. Herman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I will certainly look into them.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Lilypond. It is free and with a large support base.

It is text-based, but you can combine it with Frescobaldi (free as well) as a user interface.

It can do anything and everything.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm
This comment is so caricatural, forgive me.
Obviously, you do not know much about MuseScore, or you do not practice enough to know its incredible potential. Everything is feasible, customizable. For example, the section of historical tabs is better and more complete, and much of it than commercial programs allow.
Think too easily, because the product is free, it would be for basic stuff, and because the paid programs would be better because they are paying, here is a complete mistake!
And perhaps most importantly, MuseScore is an incredible community of members whose help for novices and others, for any question, is near real-time and of high quality.
MuseScore is a program of professional quality, and a help provided by volunteers of a professional quality as well!

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 pm

cadiz wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm
This comment is so caricatural, forgive me.
Obviously, you do not know much about MuseScore, or you do not practice enough to know its incredible potential. Everything is feasible, customizable. For example, the section of historical tabs is better and more complete, and much of it than commercial programs allow.
Think too easily, because the product is free, it would be for basic stuff, and because the paid programs would be better because they are paying, here is a complete mistake!
And perhaps most importantly, MuseScore is an incredible community of members whose help for novices and others, for any question, is near real-time and of high quality.
MuseScore is a program of professional quality, and a help provided by volunteers of a professional quality as well!
I have admittedly not tested it to its limits, and being a member of a few Facebook groups on scoring (some of which have pro members), I have not heard Musescore ever being called a serious contender to the three I have mentioned. In addition, although I now self-publish, all the publishing houses allow scores to submitted formated in either Sibelius or Finale, and probably nowadays, Dorico. I'm not saying it is not very good for a free product, but I have never heard of it being used by a professional for final print quality.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 pm

cadiz wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Same with Lilypond.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 pm

J. Herman wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 am
I’m looking for recommendations for any good scoring software. I’m not all that computer savvy. I’ve dabbled with some but have issues with them allowing proper notation in treble clef, not allowing treble clef staves only , etc. I don’t need fancy. Just something that works well for guitar and doesn’t break the bank account. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Since you are not computer savy avoid Lilypond, you might find it too difficult and frustrating, even though it can do amazing things and produce beautiful output. Start from Musescore which is free and quite user friendly, and if you hit any limitations investigate the commercial alternatives.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 pm

I like to play in melodies in Sibelius. Not that difficult on a midi keyboard if (ironically) you can play nearly as mechanically & mathematically / rhythmically precise as a robot! If "expressivo" is turned off in the play-in settings and some quantisation is specified it works pretty well (though rests aren't easy).
I went off Sibelius a bit when I found I needed to update my operating system to upgrade Sibelius (or rather my Windows 7 wouldn't load my Sibelius 4). I find it really annoying how software & computer companies have us caught in a permanent & costly upgrade battle.
So I turned to Musescore on my Windows 7 laptop & it seems to do almost everything & a few things better than my old Sibelius - except allow me to play in melodies in time (which is something that saves a lot of time in Sibelius).
The print quality of Musescore is as good as Sibelius & the midi sounds are better than my Sib 4.
I'd try Musescore before spending loads on the commercial programs.
I should add that I write more than just melodies - mostly solo & ensemble classical guitar music & both Sibelius & Musescore do those very well.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 pm

If anyone here has any doubts about Musescore's output quality, please take a look at this cool project
https://musescore.com/openscore
Raimundo 148 Cedar - "Julia"
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 pm
I'm not saying it is not very good for a free product, but I have never heard of it being used by a professional for final print quality.
Again, the question is not whether it is a free product or not. MuseScore has a final print of professional quality, that's all, no matter if it's free or paid.
Eg, a German music publishing house (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A4renreiter) has published a few months ago of Suites, Partitas, Bach's Sonatas transcribed for harpsichord.
See their catalog with reference.
BA 11820.jpg

Morever, do not forget that MuseScore is a recent score editor. Its very first version 2.0 dates back just three years, and some major features added since last year in 2017 only (with version 2.1)

Of course, faced with publishers "heavyweight" (Finale, Sibelius) who have been on the spot for twenty or thirty years, I do not know exactly, we must allow time for MuseScore to settle in the landscape of the music publishing houses.
The breakthrough it has managed to make in a so few short years is already impressive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Well, the simple answer to the OP's question is that for most purposes, Musescore is probably fine and it is free.

I wanted to find out from the people whose opinion I trusted if Musecore is a serious rival to the big three, so I asked the question today on an Engravers' page on Facebook. I blanked out the names of the respondents, as they had not actively consented to me posting their opinion elsewhere.
musescore.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”