Here's my first ever arrangement: Toccata III by Kapsberger

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
pogmoor

Re: Here's my first ever arrangement: Toccata III by Kapsberger

Post by pogmoor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 pm

tosunpasa wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am
What I can say that I have given attention is the notes, at least my transcription should be exactly what is written, and by the way Kapsberger too has some mistakes in the manuscript, though it is understandable as they are handwritten.
I've been looking at this piece today using the facsimile available from IMSLP. It's worth noting, perhaps, that Libro primo d'intavolatura di lauto is a printed book rather than a manuscript - however I don't think that guarantees it is free of errors!
tosunpasa wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:31 pm
... "Luthval" from youtube. He plays it exactly as the written tablature from 1611, same thing as my transcription.
You chose to notate the piece in A minor. I had a look at your transcription and noticed that using MuseScore to convert the tablature to notation puts in in G minor. However Luthval's performance (presumably on a G lute) sounds in F minor, a minor third above D minor which is the key it sounds in if you read the tablature directly on the guitar.

Taking my lead from this I transcribed the piece into D minor, discovering that you can play the whole piece as notated apart from 4 low Ds, one low C and 4 low As (all but one of which are also in the tablature an octave above). Available on my website and in the scores section of this forum.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

sxedio

Re: Here's my first ever arrangement: Toccata III by Kapsberger

Post by sxedio » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 pm
Kapsberger toccatas are far from being the easiest pieces to arrange. However you might find the process easier by going to the Gerbode.net page on Kapsberger where you can find a page of MIDI files of all the pieces in Libro primo d'intavolatvra di lauto - http://gerbode.net/sources/Kapsberger/i ... 1611/midi/. You can import MIDI files into MuseScore and, though you will still have to separate out the voices it's quicker than transcribing Italian tablature. Nevertheless it's important to check with the tablature as Sarge Gerbode sometimes makes errors (as does anyone transcribing tablature, I think). In this case the transcription from his tablature program (Fronimo) to MIDI has gone slightly wrong and some of the bass notes are out by a semitone (not surprising as the courses below the 6th on baroque lutes can be retuned so many different ways).
Thanks for the tip pogmoor! Regarding the O.P, it's quite an undertaking starting your arrangement attempts from lute intabulations. I think 'People are strange' by the Doors was one of my first attempts at solo guitar arrangement, I would definitely recommend it, or even something simpler.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”