Dargomyzhsky, Alexander - Romance The Youth and the Maiden (transc. Sarenko) - Russian 7 string guitar - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Rui Namora
Concert performers

Dargomyzhsky, Alexander - Romance The Youth and the Maiden (transc. Sarenko) - Russian 7 string guitar - Video

Post by Rui Namora » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:56 am

Hello!

Discovering the Russian 7 string guitar along with Rob MacKillop (mandatory to check his website www.sarenkoandco.com :D ), here is a beautiful Russian romance, inspired on an Alexander Pushkin poem. Composed for piano and voice by Alexander Dargomyzhsky. Vasily Sarenko, one one the most important composers for the Russian seven string guitar, transcribed it - score here https://ruinamora.com/sarenko_vs_romanc ... _rydaya-2/.

"A jealous maiden, weeping bitterly
Scolded a young man
Leaning into her shoulder
The youth suddenly fell asleep

The maiden immediately fell quiet
Nurturing his light sleeping
And smiled at him
Through her silent tears."

Alexander Pushkin

EDIT - new version posted
Last edited by Rui Namora on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sxedio

Re: Dargomyzhsky, Alexander - Romance The Youth and the Maiden (transc. Sarenko) - Russian 7 string guitar - Video

Post by sxedio » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:34 am

Great music and very sensitive playing!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Marshall Dixon

Re: Dargomyzhsky, Alexander - Romance The Youth and the Maiden (transc. Sarenko) - Russian 7 string guitar - Video

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Am enjoying your playing of these pieces for the 7 stringer.

I had heard of "the Mighty Handful"; five young Russian composers of the mid 1800's that found the formal compositional styles of their western counterparts not to their tastes. I won't pretend to understand the different elements of harmony and scales involved, but the goal was to develope a distinctly Russian character in their music. They were all amateurs and self taught composers.

What I didn't realize was that the older Dargomyzhsky was their precursor and influence.

Anyway, I look forward to more of your offerings.

Umberto Nostro

Post by Umberto Nostro » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Beautiful interpretation. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Thank you very much for you comments.

Merry Christmas!

RN

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:27 pm
Am enjoying your playing of these pieces for the 7 stringer.

I had heard of "the Mighty Handful"; five young Russian composers of the mid 1800's that found the formal compositional styles of their western counterparts not to their tastes. I won't pretend to understand the different elements of harmony and scales involved, but the goal was to develope a distinctly Russian character in their music. They were all amateurs and self taught composers.

What I didn't realize was that the older Dargomyzhsky was their precursor and influence.

Anyway, I look forward to more of your offerings.
Thank you for comment, Marshall. Dargomyzhsky was not a household name for me before. I had heard it before, but I didn't know any of his music.

Thank you for stopping by. I'm dealing with some other pi ces for the R7SG. It's been challenging and fun.

RN

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Edit - new version posted above

(Corrected after the valuable advice given by Oleg Timofeyev)

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”