Silos, Leopoldo - Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Perfecto De Castro
Concert performers

Silos, Leopoldo - Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak - Video

Post by Perfecto De Castro » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Enjoy! Leave a comment if you feel like it :D
Last edited by Perfecto De Castro on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Brother, your fingers are your tools but your instrument is your heart"

Vesuvio

Re: [YouTube] Perfecto De Castro plays " -Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak" -

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Hello Perf,

It is great to see you playing this beautiful composition!

I loved it when I first found it on your "Journey Through 10 Strings" CD but it adds so much to be able to see you play it with such depth of feeling,

Best wishes, V :D :bravo: :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

junbo

Post by junbo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Perf_De_Castro wrote:
Enjoy! Leave a comment if you feel like it :D
Perf,

I can't wait for my internet to speed up so I can watch the complete video. At night (it's 8:30 pm in Manila) downloads are horribly slow and video comes in fits and starts. The few parts I caught sound very good. Joe Valdez (who also plays 10-string guitar) first transcribed this piece back in 1973. I still have the original pencil scratches (hehe) he made. We were hanging around the old GuitarMasters shop on EDSA back then. Years later he put out a book of Philippine music set to guitar. I'm sure you're aware of that. Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak is one of the songs in that book.

Cheers,
Junbo

Perfecto De Castro
Concert performers

Post by Perfecto De Castro » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:24 pm

junbo wrote:Joe Valdez (who also plays 10-string guitar) first transcribed this piece back in 1973...... Years later he put out a book of Philippine music set to guitar. I'm sure you're aware of that. Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak is one of the songs in that book.
Joe Valdez is largely responsible for bringing me back to classical guitar and my playing the 10 String.... he was my Maestro and ninong ;)

junbo

Post by junbo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Sanamagan (Tagalog for sonofagun, hehe). Joe used to hang around GuitarMasters when I was running it in the early 70s. He played at my wedding in 1973.

Will share longer reminiscences when I get back from work today.

Cheers,
Junbo

junbo

Post by junbo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Wow. Finally got to watch your video non-stop, with no stuttering (no your playing wasn't stuttering, it's my internet connection in the evening--works much much better in the mornings). Your rendition is even better than what I remember of Joe Valdez playing it when he first transcribed that song almost 40 years ago! Congratulations. Now, where can I get your CD? Is it available in the record shops in Manila?

BTW, one of the best times I had in GuitarMasters was watching Joe transcribe Filipino songs. He would simply sit down in front of our coffee table, pull out a sheet of blank music (I don't know what those sheets with the blank staffs are called), and his hands would fly over the sheet. He would put down what was in his head.

Another great time was when the blind kid (was it Willy Arca?) would join him and they would do impromptu duets. I'll never forget their rendition of a top hit of that time (but I can't remember the title, hehe). Unfortunately I could never get them to do "Dueling Banjos." I think Willy had never heard it.

Okay, time to go out and do my morning walk.

Congratulations again on a great rendition. Have you done other YouTube videos?

Cheers,
Junbo

Perfecto De Castro
Concert performers

Post by Perfecto De Castro » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 pm

junbo wrote:Now, where can I get your CD? Is it available in the record shops in Manila?
Hi Jun,

Thanks for watching and the kind words! MUCH appreciated!

You can get my CD at Music One outlets as well as A Different Bookstore outlets. If they are out, you can contact my distributor http://www.sinagtala.net

Thanks again! :D

PERF

Smudger5150

Re: Silos, Leopoldo - Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak - Video

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Very nice.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”