Paulino Bernabé M-15

powermrk

Paulino Bernabé M-15

Post by powermrk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

I have heard that Paulino Bernabé M-5 and M-10 have been discoutinued and replaced by the new model M-15. Paulino Bernabé M-15 combines the features of M-5 and M-10 in which its size is slightly smaller than M-10 in order to have more balanced tone and more comfort to be played. Is that true?

No doubt that I am interested in Paulino Bernabé M-15. But the downside of M-15 could be it is the lowest end model of entire line of Paulino Bernabé Guitar, so they are not made by Paulino Bernabé Jr. himself. Therefore, I would like to know if it is worth every penny in terms of tonal quality and playability since M-15 is not an inexpensive guitar at all.

I also check out the price of M-15 and found that the prices are quite different online from US$3500 to EU$3900. Do you know what the street price should be?

:merci:
Last edited by powermrk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikos_Greek

Re: Paulino Bernabé M-15

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm

I don't know if M10 has been discontinued since a well-known dealer in Madrid still has it on offer. I have an M5 CD/IR and an M50 CD/MR. I can say that they are worth every single cent I spent on them. Endless joy to play, gaze and listen to them, very different in construction, the M5 being more heavily built, but with a big, bold sound, singing trembles, sovereign basses, very good separation and sustain, excellent playability, excellent construction and wood quality, great looks. Now the M50 is a different kettle of fish, unbelievable tonal range, deep, resonant voice, great balance between basses and trebles, extremely responsive and sensitive to attack, excellent construction quality, ergonomics, playability. In short it has everything a good concert guitar should have, save it isn't a double top, nor lattice, hence not so desirable by some. You will never regret buying a Bernabe. The only downside is the price, but it delivers what it promises, excellent quality.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm
I don't know if M10 has been discontinued since a well-known dealer in Madrid still has it on offer. ............................
I don't see any M-5s and M-10s listed in PB's official site.
I guess some dealers have PB M5s and M10s in stock so that's why they are still available in market today.
Last edited by powermrk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

You are probably right. If you happen to find a second hand M10 do not hesitate.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am

The models 5 and 10 and 20 have been discontinued by Bernabe. These were production guitars made to his specs by one of factories in Valencia. Bernabe broke off his relations with this factory as the result of a personal dispute, which had nothing to do with business or their guitars. He looked for another supplier in Valencia, and tried another shop, but the shop was unable to meet his high standards, and its owner unwilling to make the changes that would be necessary. As a result, he moved production to his shop in Madrid where he has four luthier and a couple of assistants working under his direct supervision (on the model of the old Ramirez shop when his father was its forman). This shop is now making the models 15, 30, 50, the 640, and his flamenco model. These are all handmade guitar built with traditional methods. The model 15 is a concert classical guitar, not a student model. As he explained to me, "it takes the same amount of time for us to build a concert guitar as it does an estudio model, so I decided we can't afford to build estudio guitars." The primary difference between models is in the quality of the woods, and appointments. As one goes up his line, the woods become of an increasingly higher grades, and when it comes to his own production-- the PB line--which he makes in his workshop in his home--the woods not only become rarer and finer, but also from his personal stock of aged woods (tops that may be 40 to 100 years old), and for his best work of a quality is only found in heirloom woods passed down within families or obtained from luthier's who have retired or from their families when they have passed on.

Anyway, while their are appreciable differences between his models-- mostly these are heard as greater clarity, and richness of tone, greater responsiveness. What I find fascinating is that Bernabe guitars have a recognizable sound regardless of the model, or who did the building-- which is a matter of the families experience and careful experimentations. In this regard, Paulino is always thinking. At the recent NAMM, show we spent an hour talking about how the guitar's nut might be improved.

I recommend the Model 15 without reservation. It is a guitar that works records well, and has the power to fill any concert hall.

James
US Distributor for Bernabe
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 am

zavaletas wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am
The models 5 and 10 and 20 have been discontinued by Bernabe. The primary difference between models is in the quality of the woods, and appointments. As one goes up his line, the woods become of an increasingly higher grades.

James
US Distributor for Bernabe
Hi James,

M15 is a new model, other than the quality of the woods and appointments, does its size and interior construction like the soundboard bracing vary from the discontinued models (M5, M10, M20) and those higher end models (M30, M50)?

Last edited by powermrk on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 am

deleted

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am

I haven't inspected bracing or compared the size and no longer have any 5 or 10 models to compare it to, but I will ask Paulino about this matter.

James
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 am

Looks like the Savage models 5 and 10 look close the the old Bernabe Models, or at least the rosettes are the same. These are made by Esteve in Valencia, good chance the Bernabe models were also made there. Ramirez, Bernabe and these other big marquee names don’t name the factories they subcontract with, because it would cheapen the big brands subcontract models prices. Even if they are “designed and inspected by” the big name brand. Probably not much difference.

powermrk

Post by powermrk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

zavaletas wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am
I haven't inspected bracing or compared the size and no longer have any 5 or 10 models to compare it to, but I will ask Paulino about this matter.

James
Thanks!

eno

Post by eno » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm

powermrk wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am
No doubt that I am interested in Paulino Bernabé M-15. But the downside of M-15 could be it is the lowest end model of entire line of Paulino Bernabé Guitar, so they are not made by Paulino Bernabé Jr. himself. Therefore, I would like to know if it is worth every penny in terms of tonal quality and playability since M-15 is not an inexpensive guitar at all.

I also check out the price of M-15 and found that the prices are quite different online from US$3500 to EU$3900. Do you know what the street price should be?
My Bernabe is worth to me much more than I paid, it's the best guitar acquisition I ever made. Just keep in mind that by adding extra $1-1.5K you can buy a used PB-line model (i.e. made personally by Paulino Sr. or Jr.).
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm

zavaletas wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am

James
Yes I would like to know

thanks

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm

eno wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm
powermrk wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

My Bernabe is worth to me much more than I paid, it's the best guitar acquisition I ever made. Just keep in mind that by adding extra $1-1.5K you can buy a used PB-line model (i.e. made personally by Paulino Sr. or Jr.).
OK:

Bernabe M15 vs Picado 62.

what's your pick?
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

eno

Post by eno » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm
OK:
what's your pick?
I never played Picado but from listening to recordings it sounds really great and in a way similar to Bernabe. My personal first choice would still be the angelic voice of Bernabe :) but listening to Picado made me want it to be my next guitar purchase.
Last edited by eno on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:14 pm

eno wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm
rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm
OK:
what's your pick?
I never played Picado but from listening to recordings it sounds really great and in a way similar to Bernabe. My personal first choice would still be the angelic voice of Bernabe :) but listening to Picado made me want it to be my next guitar purchase.
thanks.

Those two are the same price but the Model 60 is $1,000 cheaper, something that tips the scales to Picado in my opinion. In any case, I'm planning on taking a summer trip to the Classical Guitar Store to play these and decide.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”