Hofner HM88 opinion needed

segobreawill

Re: Hofner HM88 opinion needed

Post by segobreawill » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:17 pm

rwe wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:13 pm
In my ears the Hanika instruments are a little more brighter, at least with the original strings (AFAIK Savarez Carbon for Hanika). Older Höfners seem to be a little limited (like driving a car with a pulled handbrake...), newer ones seem to be a little more agile.

If you are thinking about German guitars with an "H", I want to mention "Hopf". :-) For my individual ears they are the best instruments in this group.
Thanks for your your input. Good one with the 'H' ! :) More for the OP to consider!

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

The link between those two H manufacturers in Germany is even closer one might think. Both are located in the Frankonian music area and their facilities are less than 3 km away from each other! :wink:

Hanikas do sound brigther mostly due to the Savaraz ARJ carbon strings they install at the workshop. That’s what prevented me always from taking them in consideration though I must admit that there were a few exceptional Hanikas. But these were in the 10+k€ range and thus not what I would spend for a Hanika guitar. :shock:

Höfner guitars are more neutral in a good sense. Well balanced, grood volume and projection. The only reason not to put them on my short list was, that their standard nut width was 50 mm, which seems to have changed luckily. :(

I think you made a good decision to go for the HM88. Please keep us informed how things developed. :wink: :D

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 am

segobreawill wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Have you tried any Hanika models btw? If so, how do compare the Hofner and the Hanika models especially if they were in similar price ranges?
I can't answer your question. I have not tried any Hanika guitars. You just don't find them in Canada. I have never seen one for sale anywhere. It was pure chance that I tried an HM88.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 am

ObiWanSymbian wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 am
Dear Members,

thank you for the candid reply.
What I care about is sound first and foremost. Build quality is a must in an instrument of this price range.
Playability - I usually define it by action. Neck thickness and shape is a secondary issue. I prefer the C's, but D's are fine, as long as the above criteria are met.

So, after reading your opinions I decided to dive into the realm of second hand instruments.
The HM88 is available in almost mint condition (played by a girl for 4 years) in another city - I'm about to go there.
Also, second hand guitars made by individual luthiers appear on the radar.

Side note - I think that a number of second hand "classical classics" will be growing, especially now, that the community seems to be gravitating towards double tops and lattice bracings.

I'll keep you informed.
If you get a used Höfner, depending on your finger size checking for the nut width may or may not be important. For me a 50mm nut would de a show stopper. For someone with narrow fingers it way be a plus.

You can get sound samples on the T H O M A N N website for many Höfners, Hanikas, Burguets, Codrdobas, Ramierez, ...
The Hanikas are bright due to the Alliance Carbon trebles.

Also Höfner provides samples for many instruments on YouTube and Soundclouud. Here is the HN88:

ObiWanSymbian

Post by ObiWanSymbian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 am

Great replies, guys!

My two cents on some of the pointe made earlier:
1. Thomman - their prices are ridiculously high - slightly off-putting factor, but when compared to other online dealers they offer the money refund policy as opposed to "guitar replacement" offered by e.g. Spanish dealers.

2. Thomas does open my eyes in terms of current leaders in mass produced guitars. This is where I learned about Hanikas. Their samples tell me very little. I prefer some other sources - even the Hofner's YT channel (as linked to by joachim33) gives me better understanding of a guitar's sound type.

3. Following your advice I'm now looking for second hand instruments and - luckily - there is one HM88 available.

Thank you once again - I'll keep you informed.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 am

Regarding Hanika, go to their website, it explains the models nicely, though Hanika does not provide sound samples. Their Natural instruments feature quite high on my agenda. They have a simpler finish, no pore filling, a single layer of varnish and a layer of wax. It seems you get a lot of guitar for you money. There is one good youtube on the spruce version: though that seems quite processed.
Other than that, I am only aware of the Thom-the-mann samples. I agree, their playing is intermediate.

So far I though Thom-the-mann's pricing is reasonably competitive.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 am

ObiWanSymbian wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 am
My two cents on some of the pointe made earlier:
1. Thomman - their prices are ridiculously high - slightly off-putting factor ...
That’s a bit strange find as they are the biggest music online shop in Germany (probably even in Europe!?) with aggressive pricing and a dispatch capacity of 3000 parcels per hour and their asking price of 1845€ is the lowest street price you will find for a new Hofner HM88 guitar! :wink: :D

Anyway good luck with your used HM88 offer. Just for your information, used HM88 in good condition appear still well above 1000€ on the market! :wink:

Guero

Post by Guero » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am

Two years ago I bought a used HM88 for about 1000€ and sold it a year later for the same price.
I'm very bad in describing the sound of a guitar but I really liked the Höfner!
Playability was good as well.
It s a very loud guitar, I can imagine that it is a good one for playing in an ensemble (rather than playing it in your sleeping room at night...)
If I had 1000 € to spend I'd probably buy it again.
But in a price range up to 1800 I'm not sure ;)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Guero wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am
Two years ago I bought a used HM88 for about 1000€ and sold it a year later for the same price.

If I had 1000 € to spend I'd probably buy it again.
But in a price range up to 1800 I'm not sure ;)
What made you sell it?

Guero

Post by Guero » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm
What made you sell it?
The journey went on.
(I think I bought it because it was a good offer and I knew I could resell it without losing money. Besides I don´t have the money nor the place and will to collect guitars, so sometimes I have to say goodbye to a guitar..)

ObiWanSymbian

Post by ObiWanSymbian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm

it’s not that I have to spend the whole budget on the guitar...
The EUR 1k requested for a used hm seems like a good deal.
On my way to trying her really soon.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 am
segobreawill wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Have you tried any Hanika models btw? If so, how do compare the Hofner and the Hanika models especially if they were in similar price ranges?
I can't answer your question. I have not tried any Hanika guitars. You just don't find them in Canada. I have never seen one for sale anywhere. It was pure chance that I tried an HM88.

Martin
Okay thanks Martin. That's true - cannot find them!

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Are Spanish-made guitars available where you are? Brands like Alhambra and Paco Castillo are well regarded. When I played a lot of guitars a couple years ago, I ended up going a bit up-market, but in the sub-$2k range I thought the Alhambras were pretty good.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Please, forgive my interruption and speaking in this thread before the originator answers your question, Adam. Alhambra and Paco Castillo are available in Poland albeit the prices of Paco Castillo are way too high in comparison with other countries. So some of us become customers of places/shops like famous Casa Luthier, Barcelona, Spain. Or are in search of second hand guitar offered in another country, there are no problems if seller and buyer resides within the EU. And it may be helpful to follow advertising in right section (guitars for sell)
viewforum.php?f=3
here at our Forum.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 pm

The Paco Castillo 205 is very nice indeed!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”