$3-5k range recommendations for first purchase

iontrap

$3-5k range recommendations for first purchase

Post by iontrap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 pm

I am just getting into the market for a guitar in the $ 3-5k range. My personal preferences lean toward the traditional fan bracing build.

Like anyone, I am looking to get the most out of my money. I am interested in purchasing an older guitar, as older guitars seem to be a bit more modestly priced. For example, I am interested in Masaru Kohno guitars from the 1960's as they seem to be very high in quality at a reasonable price, albeit with some cosmetic wear, which I don't mind.

Despite these preferences, I have not played many guitars and have a lot to learn about what I prefer in a guitar. So, I am open to any and all suggestions regarding newer guitars, different building styles, etc.

Thanks in advance

petermc61

Re: $3-5k range recommendations for first purchase

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Your suggestion of a 1960s Kohno is a very good one! That was what I would have recommended to you.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 am

iontrap wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 pm
I am just getting into the market for a guitar in the $ 3-5k range. My personal preferences lean toward the traditional fan bracing build.

Like anyone, I am looking to get the most out of my money. I am interested in purchasing an older guitar, as older guitars seem to be a bit more modestly priced. For example, I am interested in Masaru Kohno guitars from the 1960's as they seem to be very high in quality at a reasonable price, albeit with some cosmetic wear, which I don't mind.

Despite these preferences, I have not played many guitars and have a lot to learn about what I prefer in a guitar. So, I am open to any and all suggestions regarding newer guitars, different building styles, etc.

Thanks in advance
You are on the right track... buying a used guitar is always much better choice over a new one if you don't mind the wear.

In fact i sold away a beautiful Kohno 50 few years ago but keep my 64 Kono. I paid less than 2K for my Kono 64, which is such a ease to play and sounds unbelievable.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 am

David Schramm, Clovis, California

iontrap

Post by iontrap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

GuitarsWeB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 am
David Schramm, Clovis, California
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not ever seen a Schramm. Do you have an opinion of what style build of his you prefer?

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 pm

He makes a dead on Hauser and Rodgiquez clone, but he’s known best for his Smallman style lattice. Take a look at his website schrammguitars.com There’s tons of information about guitars in general, etc. on his site

iontrap

Post by iontrap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 am
You are on the right track... buying a used guitar is always much better choice over a new one if you don't mind the wear.

In fact i sold away a beautiful Kohno 50 few years ago but keep my 64 Kono. I paid less than 2K for my Kono 64, which is such a ease to play and sounds unbelievable.
I'm noticing a trend... I've never heard a negative opinion of a Kohno guitar. Do you have any other suggestions for "vintage" guitars in this price range?

iontrap

Post by iontrap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:51 pm

GuitarsWeB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 pm
He makes a dead on Hauser and Rodgiquez clone, but he’s known best for his Smallman style lattice. Take a look at his website schrammguitars.com There’s tons of information about guitars in general, etc. on his site
Will do.. Thank you much

rwe

Post by rwe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 pm

iontrap wrote:
I'm noticing a trend... I've never heard a negative opinion of a Kohno guitar.
Hmm - you have to like the sound. I play a Tama TC15 that is very close to an original Kohno. It's not my favourite for the music I play.
iontrap wrote:
Do you have any other suggestions for "vintage" guitars in this price range?
Every other Instrument is an alternative... It's your decision. I just bought a older Hopf Virtuoso for < 2k$ (current price: about 8k$+). Comparing it to the Tama I prefer the Hopf. But for some music (latin) I'm glad to have the Tama. - Playing Bach I neither take the Hopf or the Tama but another Instrument...

richtm

Post by richtm » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:48 pm

You might even go for a more traditional sounding double top at: http://liuteriadammassa.altervista.org/index.php/en/
I have one and can recommend it. Sound samples to come up during this year...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

iontrap

Post by iontrap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 pm

richtm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:48 pm
You might even go for a more traditional sounding double top at: http://liuteriadammassa.altervista.org/index.php/en/
This is intriguing.. I cannot seem to find any recordings or pictures of her guitars. If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to know about these guitars?

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 pm

iontrap wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 pm
richtm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:48 pm
This is intriguing.. I cannot seem to find any recordings or pictures of her guitars. If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to know about these guitars?
Hello. Although the poster can give the definitive answer, he possibly saw this post that I made viewtopic.php?t=112969
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:16 am

iontrap wrote:
Tom wrote:

I'm noticing a trend... I've never heard a negative opinion of a Kohno guitar. Do you have any other suggestions for "vintage" guitars in this price range?
Not real vintage, but a GV Rubio Hauser or a 70-80's Paul Fischer would be another good options.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:41 am

iontrap wrote:
Tom wrote:

Kohno guitars have a distinct sound profile. Some people love it, some don't. Personally I'm not a fan of the Kohno sound based on the guitars I've tried. If you haven't played one yourself, then I would definitely try one in person before actually buying one. In general I always recommend finding a dealer near you and trying as many guitars in person if you have limited exposure since there is such a wide spectrum in the classical guitar market. I've learned that people's reviews, recommendations, etc. will not always translate to what I personally like. Guitar tastes and judgment can be highly subjective.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Try some guitars at Guitarfest, April 5 - 7, at App State U. Then you will have some comparisons. Not sure who will be there, but I will.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”