The story of my Antonio Picado model 60 guitar

Mr.Rain

Re: The story of my Antonio Picado model 60 guitar

Post by Mr.Rain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 pm

I have a Concert DT from Picado (BRW),630mm .

It sounded really rigid when new(also too bright), it had a lot of volume, and projected to the front really well (not that much to the player).
It was not like my former normal back (62) from Picado, where the solid back was moving and you could feel/hear the sound better when playing.

That guitar improved a lot after over a year,as the top broke in (more bass,and overall more volume), ended up as very nice sounding guitar (again spruce is a gamble...)

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Undoubtedly this post that with such skill and skill begins the Professor in Art and Culture Jacek A. Rochacki, is very interesting because of the constructive way in which it is exposed.
If it is not to abuse your confidence, I would like with all my humility to listen to the sound of a "Concierto" Picado.
I would like to ask Professor Jacek A. Rochacki to explain the characteristics of this model. Thank you very much Profesor.

Cordial greetings from the Costa Brava, Spain :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Tue May 08, 2018 2:22 pm

I apologize but in the previous writing I forgot to say that the composition I play is dedicated to Professor Jacek A. Rochacki. Thanks for your attention.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Eliseo,

Thanks for sharing both videos (so we can compare both guitars), very nice compositions (I especially liked Cala Trons)

Definitively your model 60 sounds way thicker and fuller than your concierto (maybe it is due to the microphone)

Angel from Picado told me that some Spruce top guitars need a longer period of time to develop (while other spruce tops sound really good when new, on the other hand cedar tops sound full from the start)

As I commented before my Concierto sounded very tight(, I started using D'addario Ej44C for the bass and Aranjuez 400 for the trebles, now it sounds really thick and warm(specially when tuning lower than 440hz), but it really got played a lot so I guess that helped to develop the sound.

Regards from Alicante.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Maestro Eliseo, I read here too many beautiful words from you that make me confused. I certainly do not deserve them, I read it as words of friendship from my guitar mentor Maestro Eliseo Fresquet Serret. Thank you, Maestro !

It takes me long time to write my impressions on my last Picado guitar - model 62 that is also in the category of "Concierto". It is not a question of my poor command of English, it is a question of fact that this guitar has taken me by surprise in most positive way. So I want to take my time, to let the emotions of acquiring new to me guitar calm down, and then, avoiding fact that my impression may be result of fascination by new in my hands guitar I will try to write a few words on this Picado model 62 - Concierto that I have and I did not imagine that I will ever get a guitar that sounds so beautiful and plays so well from the very beginning.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Hello Mr. Rain,
If we talk about musical pieces, "Cala Trons" has something very special. Cala Trons is a small beach surrounded by rocks and pine trees, the water is limpid and crystal clear. It is a very beautiful place and explaining how it is in musical notes is the result of my composition, which I am glad you enjoyed.
The description you give on the top of spruce and cedar seems to me very successful and convincing. Thanks for your comment!

Best regards from Lloret de Mar, Costa Brava, Spain

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Wed May 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Professor Rochacki, in my humble opinion, "sincerity" must always go before everything, because if something is hidden then sincerity disappears. I beg you not to be confused and accept my comments more of admiration than of friendship!

No wonder that your new guitar has taken you by surprise, because it is conscientiously built by a great luthier. You are right, take the time to train your new guitar, and please keep us informed. Thank you very much !
With all my thanks

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Fri May 11, 2018 4:48 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Dear Jacek,
It is a beautiful, fascinating and true story. I´m happy to help you taking this decision about to get a guitar Antonio Picado Mod. 60
I wish you a lot of happiness and health with your new guitar.
With my best thoughts and wishes

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

P.S. For those people who do not know Antonio Picado Guitar Mod. 60, modestly I interpret them “Cala Trons”
one of my humble compositions.

You don't by any chance have the arrangement of this piece written down do you? I'd love to play it.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello Rpavich, my scores can be obtained at the Beethoven house in Barcelona.
Greetings

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Fri May 11, 2018 9:10 pm

eliseo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 pm
Hello Rpavich, my scores can be obtained at the Beethoven house in Barcelona.
Greetings

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
Thank you.

Bob
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Mr.Rain wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Definitively your model 60 sounds way thicker and fuller than your concierto (maybe it is due to the microphone)

Angel from Picado told me that some Spruce top guitars need a longer period of time to develop (while other spruce tops sound really good when new, on the other hand cedar tops sound full from the start)
True. It will be a great thing to hear when the Concierto's spruce top does finally begin to open up because it is a higher model than the M-60. I feel that Maestro Eliseo will be wonderfully pleased with the sound when it does.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm

eliseo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:22 pm
[...] the composition I play is dedicated to Professor Jacek A. Rochacki. Thanks for your attention.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
... And congratulations Jacek on having a wonderful piece dedicated to you by Maestro Eliseo! That is very kind of him indeed! :D

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm

...and I feel confused again, thank you Gino for your kind words.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Yes, Segobreawill, it will be a great pleasure for me when my Picado "Concierto", spruce top, has been opened, thus achieving a better sound.
Regarding the subject of the different or same models, I would like to explain a small but important anecdote. I can not specify exactly the date but I think it was between 2004-2005. After one of my visits to the Picado company in Berga, Mr. Picado and I went to a restaurant in that city to enjoy a good meal. And I say enjoy, because Mr. Picado explained many important stories about the magical and mysterious world about the making of guitars. For me the one that surprised me the most was when he told me: "how can it be that using the same systems, the same hands, the same woods, etc ... two guitars of the same model never sound the same" !!. And then he told me: "this shows that each guitar is a different world, the guitar is built and then it is born"!

I would like to explain, especially to those who do not know Jacek, that dedicating one of my compositions to this great Professor is a great honor for me!

Thank you for your attention! :discussion:

Best regards from Lloret de Mar, Spain :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm

eliseo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm
Yes, Segobreawill, it will be a great pleasure for me when my Picado "Concierto", spruce top, has been opened, thus achieving a better sound.
Regarding the subject of the different or same models, I would like to explain a small but important anecdote. I can not specify exactly the date but I think it was between 2004-2005. After one of my visits to the Picado company in Berga, Mr. Picado and I went to a restaurant in that city to enjoy a good meal. And I say enjoy, because Mr. Picado explained many important stories about the magical and mysterious world about the making of guitars. For me the one that surprised me the most was when he told me: "how can it be that using the same systems, the same hands, the same woods, etc ... two guitars of the same model never sound the same" !!. And then he told me: "this shows that each guitar is a different world, the guitar is built and then it is born"!

I would like to explain, especially to those who do not know Jacek, that dedicating one of my compositions to this great Professor is a great honor for me!

Thank you for your attention! :discussion:

Best regards from Lloret de Mar, Spain :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thank you so much for providing us with the insights of the meal you shared with Mr. Picado and how he related to you "the magical and mysterious world about the making of guitars"! :) You are correct in saying that it was an enjoyable experience. Such are the experiences - and individuals - that enrich our lives and make it much more worthwhile.

I repeat that I have no doubt that your C-1 model will open up for the quality of materials and craftsmanship involved from the Picado shop leaves nothing to be desired. When it does begin to sing with the sweetness that you expect from it, please be kind enough to provide us with a few soundtracks, yes?

As for Jacek, what can I say: He has been a gentleman and very PATIENT friend to my many questions! haha I have nothing but kind words and praise for him as he is deserving of my respect.

Thank you for your kind regards from beautiful Spain, Maestro Eliseo and I return the same with respect.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”