Cuong Luthier

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Cuong Luthier

Post by Nguyen Thanh Ha » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:45 am

Dear all,

i live in vietnam. i want to get a handmade guitar. i heard that there is a professional luthier in Vietnam (i.e. Cuong Luthier). the best luthier in vietnam and famous in the oversea. If you hear about him, please advise me about the handmade guitar of Cuong Luthier. the price of guitar is around $800 - $2000
Nguyen Thanh Ha (Mr.)

Cao Nguyen

Re: Cuong Luthier

Post by Cao Nguyen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Ha,

There's a lengthy thread about Cuong Luthier here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29039
A forum member is also selling a Cuong guitar here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102107

I've never seen or heard his guitars in person. Based on various recordings on Youtube, the sound of his lattice guitars are not to my taste. Never heard a traditional model though.

Loiseng Kee

Post by Loiseng Kee » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know that is Cuong guitar branded as Sonora lately or before??? I saw a few in 2001 and 2002 year. model like cordoba, madrid etc. Pls share if U aware about it???

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Post by Nguyen Thanh Ha » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:24 am

Thank you for your replies,

i contact with Cuong Luthier, he replied me and mentioned that he can make guitar with the specification as follows:

-Indian rosewood back& sides,
-Spruce and RedCedar top
-Indonesia Ebony Fret board
- Neck: Mahogany
-Strings Length 650mm, 640mm
- Nut with 50-54mm.
-Vécni Polyurethane
- Machine heads: economy Gotoh made in Japan and Taiwan phượng)
- Độ cao dây : 3mm và 3,8mm ( low action)
- solid wood
prize:
- traditional guitar: $800 - $1,000
- Carbon lattice guitar $1,100 .
- copy G. Smallman style: $ 2000 usd .

please help to advise me to select my new guitar
Nguyen Thanh Ha (Mr.)

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 am

Is Cuong made himself or he got a group of people helping him? Thanks
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:01 am

Traditional for me. $1000 is a fair price.

I don't like carbon lattice. IMO they're for concerts. The mass audience doesn't have any idea about timbre. They want to hear it clearly, i.e. not quiet. Lattice guitars are easy to get loud, therefore they are good for that purpose. For the minority of guitarists who dislike the tone color, just ignore them :D.

If you don't concertize, you probably will enjoy the sound richness of a non-lattice guitar more.
keithwwk wrote:Is Cuong made himself or he got a group of people helping him? Thanks
AFAIK, he's doing all the works himself (guitar making, customer support, etc).

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:06 am

Loiseng Kee wrote:Hi everyone,

Does anyone know that is Cuong guitar branded as Sonora lately or before??? I saw a few in 2001 and 2002 year. model like cordoba, madrid etc. Pls share if U aware about it???
I don't really know. Vietnamese customers tend to see foreign brand names as a sign of quality, so it might be. If I were a luthier, I wouldn't make any guitar without my name on the label.

Loiseng Kee

Post by Loiseng Kee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 am

Cao Nguyen wrote:

I don't really know. Vietnamese customers tend to see foreign brand names as a sign of quality, so it might be. If I were a luthier, I wouldn't make any guitar without my name on the label.
The cuong name was wrote under Sonora name, emphasized as luthier. From vietnam.

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Loiseng,
The Sonora label is used to be Cuong Luthier's label, very long time ago, around 80-90s. His name is written under the label.

Neil Patrick

Post by Neil Patrick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:00 am

Nguyen Thanh Ha wrote:Thank you for your replies,

i contact with Cuong Luthier, he replied me and mentioned that he can make guitar with the specification as follows:

-Spruce and RedCedar top
- Nut with 50-54mm.
-Vécni Polyurethane
- solid wood
prize:

I would go with the Smallman type, that is the latest Version 4. I had a chance to try out the guitar last year and it sounds absolutely incredible. However it costs you double the price.

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Post by Nguyen Thanh Ha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 am

keithwwk wrote:Is Cuong made himself or he got a group of people helping him? Thanks
I think that he make himself. :)
Nguyen Thanh Ha (Mr.)

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Post by Nguyen Thanh Ha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:26 am

Neil Patrick wrote:
Nguyen Thanh Ha wrote:Thank you for your replies,

-Spruce and RedCedar top
- Nut with 50-54mm.
-Vécni Polyurethane
- solid wood
prize:

I would go with the Smallman type, that is the latest Version 4. I had a chance to try out the guitar last year and it sounds absolutely incredible. However it costs you double the price.
thank you for your advise.
Nguyen Thanh Ha (Mr.)

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Post by Nguyen Thanh Ha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:32 am

Neil Patrick wrote:

Hi Loiseng,
The Sonora label is used to be Cuong Luthier's label, very long time ago, around 80-90s. His name is written under the label.
Cuong Luthier only make (i) traditional classic guitar; (ii)lactic classic guitar and (iii) copy G. Smallman style
Nguyen Thanh Ha (Mr.)

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote:Traditional for me. $1000 is a fair price.

I don't like carbon lattice. IMO they're for concerts. The mass audience doesn't have any idea about timbre. They want to hear it clearly, i.e. not quiet. Lattice guitars are easy to get loud, therefore they are good for that purpose. For the minority of guitarists who dislike the tone color, just ignore them :D.

If you don't concertize, you probably will enjoy the sound richness of a non-lattice guitar more.
AFAIK, he's doing all the works himself (guitar making, customer support, etc).
I keep seeing people claim that lattice do not have good tones. But there were a number of albums recorded with lattice guitar by John Williams?

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:33 pm

precsmo wrote:
I keep seeing people claim that lattice do not have good tones. But there were a number of albums recorded with lattice guitar by John Williams?
No, it's not about good or bad. It's preference. Some people like JW's playing but don't like the tone of his guitar. From what I read, many people in this forum suffer from banjophobia, i.e. dislike the tone of lattice guitars (banjo like) and prefer a more traditional tone instead.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”