Walnut vs IR Hauser style

simonm

Walnut vs IR Hauser style

Post by simonm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:58 pm

As a prospective guitar buyer/player looking at a Hauser style instrument (1937 plan) would you even give walnut a second look or would you go straight for Indian Rosewood? (Lets ignore Brazilian Rosewood completely regardless of its merits.)

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Re: Walnut vs IR Hauser style

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Personally unless the walnut was highly figured or very interesting I would pass it over unless I could play the instrument right then and there.
CE Sobel Guitars

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm

I use Walnut frequently. There's nothing about it that would stop me from using it over EI Rosewood.
Historicalguitars.

gjo

Post by gjo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Why don't you use the Madagascar RW you just sold to me?

The set looks lovely and will make a fine guitar. AND, I would not mind to sell you an equally fine spruce top if you would keep your set.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 pm

I am probably the oddball. I'd prefer the walnut.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Don't know about that. Walnut can age to a lovely warm red/brown colour but only certain examples. Otherwise it might need a bit of warmth adding to it. If you like the figured stuff, that's available too.
Historicalguitars.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:09 pm

I really like walnut, and have used it several times, but if I had a customer who wanted a Hauser copy, I'd probably advise sticking with Indian rosewood.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:Personally unless the walnut was highly figured or very interesting I would pass it over.
I would say the opposite! To me, a Hauser has an understated aesthetic: building one with highly figured or otherwise visually unusual wood just seems wrong, somehow, especially if the idea is to "copy" that particular 1937 model. Of course, if that is what a person wants, they can commission whatever they like, but if you are building one for no-one in particular, the more traditional, the better, I should think.

brooks

Post by brooks » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:42 pm

James Lister wrote:I really like walnut, and have used it several times, but if I had a customer who wanted a Hauser copy, I'd probably advise sticking with Indian rosewood.

James
I'm with James. All else being equal, I would go for IR. As a non-luthier with only limited experience with walnut, you can take this with a large grain of salt, but my feeling is that the overtones are not as rich as with rosewood, and i associate rich, complex overtones with the Hauser sound.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I would becos I am the "experimental" kind - though I get resale problems becos of that.

I have owned the usual types of guitars but not a walnut...I did order one but got sent a rosewood one instead.

Yes it looks kind of dull (those with no figuring) but reportedly gives a sound between rosewood and mahogany which is just what I like.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Well perhaps we should take it with a grain of salt, especially after the results of that certain research project.
I have done the test between walnut and EI Rosewood, although it was on a small romantic type model. I preferred the Walnut, a customer preferred the rosewood. I thought the walnut had a slightly rounder and mellower sound, which took some of the edge off the inherent brightness of that type of guitar. Only one such test to report though, the rest have been models that were too different in nature.
Last edited by Michael.N. on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Historicalguitars.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Walnut makes the guitar sound more.. 'walnutty'

Yamaha GL1

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Chris Sobel wrote:Personally unless the walnut was highly figured or very interesting I would pass it over.
I would say the opposite! To me, a Hauser has an understated aesthetic: building one with highly figured or otherwise visually unusual wood just seems wrong, somehow, especially if the idea is to "copy" that particular 1937 model. Of course, if that is what a person wants, they can commission whatever they like, but if you are building one for no-one in particular, the more traditional, the better, I should think.
Yes, but the Hausers were built with Brazilian or Indian rosewood for the most part. I'm just saying if I were a buyer looking for a 37 Hauser I would probably not pull the trigger on a walnut guitar if I were just browsing the Internet. I would have to play it. That's all.

The OP specifically asked "as a prospective buyer", not as a "builder". I would build with walnut for sure. It just wouldn't be my go to if I were in the market.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 am

Chris Sobel wrote:
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Yes, but the Hausers were built with Brazilian or Indian rosewood for the most part. I'm just saying if I were a buyer looking for a 37 Hauser I would probably not pull the trigger on a walnut guitar if I were just browsing the Internet. I would have to play it. That's all.

The OP specifically asked "as a prospective buyer", not as a "builder". I would build with walnut for sure. It just wouldn't be my go to if I were in the market.

Chris
Chris,
Over the next 10 or 20 years, I believe our world will change in regard to woods. It is already happening with the growing list of Cites restricted woods. I am in favor of any wood that is more available and less likely to be restricted. Much of the recent research indicates, there is only incidental differences in tone between most back and side woods and Walnut has some nice tonal properties. I'm not a luthier looking to make a guitar sellable. So, I get to choose my preference just based on what I think I'd like. Also, I have Black Walnut on my property and I like them. For me, it would be a personal connection. FWIW
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:28 am

Walnut is an excellent wood for a guitar! It also doesn't take a lot of figure to make a beautiful instrument, in my opinion! This was not an expensive set of wood!
ImageImageImageImage
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”