R.E. (Ray) Spain guitars?

Michael.N.

Re: R.E. (Ray) Spain guitars?

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 pm

That's a centre seam separation. I doubt it will affect the sound once repaired, there's almost certainly a fan strut running right underneath that split. Think of it this way, if it was an original Torres no one would worry about that split. It would be off to a restorer, hopefully expertly repaired and all but forgotten about. Just think of how much repair work has been done on Strad and Guarneri violins over the years. It doesn't stop them being worth a few million or played by Perlman in the worlds concert halls.
What you do have to take into account is the repair costs,which could vary widely dependent on how well it's done i.e. aesthetically. We also don't know if the fan strut inside the guitar is split or intact. Repair costs can climb pretty rapidly. I wouldn't buy it without being allowed to thoroughly examine it first.
Historicalguitars.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Michael.N. wrote:That's a centre seam separation. I doubt it will affect the sound once repaired, there's almost certainly a fan strut running right underneath that split. Think of it this way, if it was an original Torres no one would worry about that split. It would be off to a restorer, hopefully expertly repaired and all but forgotten about. Just think of how much repair work has been done on Strad and Guarneri violins over the years. It doesn't stop them being worth a few million or played by Perlman in the worlds concert halls.
What you do have to take into account is the repair costs,which could vary widely dependent on how well it's done i.e. aesthetically. We also don't know if the fan strut inside the guitar is split or intact. Repair costs can climb pretty rapidly. I wouldn't buy it without being allowed to thoroughly examine it first.
I thought it looked like it had had an amateur repair, maybe just stuffing some glue in from the outside?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:34 pm

That's not uncommon. Hard to believe but people just shove anything on, even on some very expensive instruments. It's the type of glue used that might cause a problem.
Historicalguitars.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Well I tried one of these out (not the repaired one mentioned earlier, a local one I found) and bought it :)

Will upload some photos and vital statistics shortly, but very impressed with the condition for its age.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 am

Well done blondles. Hope you're enjoying it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

In case anyone is looking, I'll soon be putting a 1983 RE Spain up for sale here at an eminently reasonable price. At present I'm just Just making sure I'm taking the measurements correctly and trying to figure our what the wood is etc.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:41 pm
No, all guitars do it, given a long enough time. Generally speaking the Spanish construction makes it somewhat more difficult (and expensive) to correct. Those with adjustable necks can be adjusted (corrected) in seconds. The dovetail neck (Fleta used it) is somewhere between the two, still fairly expensive to correct. I'm working on a method that gives a more easily corrected version of the Fleta.
Still, this Ray Spain guitar may be perfectly OK in that department. You can tell by the action and how much saddle is above the saddle slot. If the action is at standard and the saddle is right down to the top of the slot, probably best left alone. That's assuming the front/top of the bridge hasn't been shaved down.
Are you saying the neck will move over time regardless of how well the guitar is kept, ie. at the correct humidity?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”