Yamaha GC82S

Lovemyguitar

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Two more short pieces to try and capture a bit of the sweetness of the trebles and a bit of tone colour variation...
I think the pieces sounded lovely, and to my ears, your guitar has a beautiful richness of tone and broad range of colours. I also listened to the Besard piece, which you seemed to play a bit more forcefully, and to my tastes, I would say that the seemingly gentler approach you took with the latter two pieces better suited the instrument and the music (but, that may just be my preference).

It is clearly an exceptional instrument, and it sounds like you are enjoying getting to know it and exploring all of its many beautiful nuances -- which is one of the great joys of playing a fine-quality spruce guitar! Thanks for sharing!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Two more short pieces to try and capture a bit of the sweetness of the trebles and a bit of tone colour variation...
I think the pieces sounded lovely, and to my ears, your guitar has a beautiful richness of tone and broad range of colours. I also listened to the Besard piece, which you seemed to play a bit more forcefully, and to my tastes, I would say that the seemingly gentler approach you took with the latter two pieces better suited the instrument and the music (but, that may just be my preference).

It is clearly an exceptional instrument, and it sounds like you are enjoying getting to know it and exploring all of its many beautiful nuances -- which is one of the great joys of playing a fine-quality spruce guitar! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome and thanks...it was a labour of love and my first foray into recording to try and give this thread a completion. I did play the Besard more forcefully as I was trying to convey the power of "clanging" bells rolling out across Paris. It was also recorded about as near field as possible and that also added to "La Forza del Destino" character. I agree that the gentler more delicate style of the de la Halle and Corelli pieces suits the instrument well. I also think that the old adage that spruce takes time to "break in" is true. The sound is now warmer and more rounded than a year ago...the top has definitely "opened up", though my touch has also improved.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I now wish to dedicate my first classical guitar recording ever: Campanae Parisiences (The Bells of Paris) by Jean-Baptiste Besard, 1617, to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. A very sad day, heart-breaking and a great loss!

Douglas

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:40 pm

P.S. It appears that the main structure and the "rosettes" survived...now on to repairs and the restoration of the top!

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Yes, part of the ceiling did collapse where the spire went down but all in all this was probably a relatively minor event compared to e.g. the damage to the Reims cathedral during WW1 (or was it WW2...).

Heh, if the repairs are indeed going to be paid for by the Americans and Chinese as I heard, the mastodont will have to change her name to "Votre Dame" :twisted: :arrow:

The macropresident cancelled his big telespeech because of the event, earning him another Charlie Hebdo frontpage:
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

isleepinabed

Post by isleepinabed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

I have just joined this forum but I had followed through this veritable saga since its inception as I had been a long time reader of this forum.

I admire how definitive and determined you set out to complete your collection and what a duet of guitars they are.. I loved this slow-building story.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:39 pm

isleepinabed wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm
I have just joined this forum but I had followed through this veritable saga since its inception as I had been a long time reader of this forum.

I admire how definitive and determined you set out to complete your collection and what a duet of guitars they are.. I loved this slow-building story.
I am myself amazed at the journey and have been perhaps inspired by the saga of my namesake Beowulf. His story may be found in the Nowell Codex...all 3,182 lines of it. This thread must be getting close... :lol: :mrgreen:

One can tell when an instrument has a soul that resonates with yours...you just cannot stop revisiting old familiar pieces and working on new ones: Variations on Come With Me My Giselle (M. Hendrix), Home (A. York), Ground in C minor by Purcell/Croft (arr. in B minor by B. Zeliotis). On I go!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”