Anyone recommend a Cordoba Solista?

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Anyone recommend a Cordoba Solista?

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 am

After about 300$ the entire Cordoba line of guitars becomes a bunch of different boxes full of junk. The diminishing curve sets in quick. That's just my opinion, many people think the C7 and C10 guitars are oustanding.

The finish lacquer is thick and plastic like.

I think you should realize that there are many Valencia made factory guitars that are well aged with hide glue construction for much cheaper than the Cordoba.

If you want a Valencia built cedar factory guitar, look around, they are out there.

Valencia is sort of the hub of many inexpensive spanish classical guitars ranging from the mid fifties to the late 70's...and still a few today.

Now if you really want a bang for the buck cedar guitar, look at the mid 60's...Guild Mk3...cut away, indian rosewood, nicely built and good sound.

Heck if you just want something different from Cedar...my personal favorite would be the Mahogany Guild...they are made without any fancy binding and purfling, they were deemed a low end guitar, but sound nice and warm, made in the USA...hard to find ,but less expensive than the Mk3 varieties.

eno

Post by eno » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm

I never understood this Cordoba hype. I tried dozens of them in local stores including high-grade ones selling for 3-4K and never found any of them sounding good enough to buy. You can get much better sounding guitars (especially used) for that price.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 am

I agree. I've owned a few of the Espana series guitars & they've had a number of quality issues such as; heavy finish, sharp frets, etc. The Luthier series guitars have been great for me. My GK Pro Negra has been my primary guitar for 2 years now. I'm not a strict classical guitar player. My musical playing interests cover a wide variety of genre's. My cedar Solista is also quite nice. The Cordoba guitars neck profiles seem to fit my left hand perfectly.
bauersachs82 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 pm
A couple of weeks ago someone broke into my apartment and stole some of my guitars. My Cordoba C10 (in a humicase) was one of them. All of the guitars were found in the woods next to my apartment a week later. I'm in Indiana so it's been chilly.

There were no cracks in my Cordoba. There was no problem with fret ends sticking out from being out in the cold. I was amazed.

I haven't had the chance to play on a Solista, but I would like to. I have played on the C9, C9 Parlour, C10, and C12 and I really liked each of them. I have had some conversations with some of the sales reps from Cordoba and one had the opinion that the Chinese made Luthier series are more consistent than the Espana series. He said that when you find a good Espana it's great but you may have to try a few.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Agree about many of these comments. Cordoba guitars seem to fill a gap by having uniform distribution and access in dealers throughout the US, big box places like GC and SA, markets not served well by classical guitar specialty stores. There is also a lot of them in the market. I have mentioned in previous comments the lack of many in the US of access to moderately proced, quality classical guitars for students and serious hobbyists. I believe that prices are inflated on these instruments because of difficulty of access. There are much better choices than Cordoba out there.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I do agree w you in terms of our perspective, which is the mindset of a serious hobbyist, but I still believe for the student Cordoba is well worth it especially a c5 /c7. More than enough.

Yamaha GL1

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Podobin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:15 pm
I believe that prices are inflated on these instruments because of difficulty of access. There are much better choices than Cordoba out there.
Agreed. Though there were no Cordoba models in my price range in nearby stores that I could physically try, I did quite a bit of research on the internet trying to get as good of an idea as I could about the line. I did look into the Solista, C12, Esteso, and Hauser. I almost settled on the Hauser for $3500. However, there were many recommendations like yours to try and find an equal guitar for less $$, or a better guitar for the same $$. Ended up getting an Amalio Burguet 1A for $800 hundred less and I am equally as happy with it as I believe I would have been with the Cordoba Hauser.

Good idea to at least consider models in other lines such as Hanika, Picado, Cervantes, Yamaha, Burguet, Ramirez and see if one can get more twang for the buck, so to speak.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”