Ramirez circa 1960 - can you help?

CaseBuckeye

Ramirez circa 1960 - can you help?

Post by CaseBuckeye » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi all,

Years back, I wanted to get a nice classical guitar. My wife ended up surprising me for Christmas and now I have a cool piece of history but I want to know more. Can you help?

My wife went to a local guitar shop with a budget of $500 or less. They brought out a new guitar and what they referred to as a "vintage" guitar which was not in pristine condition but she was willing to consider it. They played both for her and it left now doubt in her mind that the Ramirez was the right one for me.

All I really know is that it was made in Spain in around 1960. Can you tell me the wood? Was this a student guitar? Was it made by a luthier? Excuse my ignorance, but this is a classical guitar and not a flamenco guitar, right? It does have a low action. The wood is lighter like in a flamenco guitar. It sounds more rich and deep than peppy/bright but I also have old strings on it. Do you know what the approximate value is? To me, the value is priceless because it sounds amazing and I will never sell it. I do want to try and get as much history and an approximate value now though because one day, I will get called up to play my gig in the sky. I want to get some notes on this now so that I can leave them in my guitar case for my kids later on. What do you know about this instrument that I should document?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Laudiesdad69

Re: Ramirez circa 1960 - can you help?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Looks like your typical 1960's tourist guitar, at least by the label. Haven't seen that headstock yet though. It wasn't likely made at the Ramirez factory. Like their current Estudio guitars, these were made by another factory and Ramirez put their sticker inside.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Very good quality photos. For identifying the wood a photo of the back would help as then we can see how the inside and outside match up.
Simon

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:08 am

Whoopie!

Is that a Taurus guitar? I think people have a good opinion of them
as I remember from past posts.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:10 am

I'm sure its a classical. Probably a spruce top
and a middle class b/s tonewood.

There have been a few threads about these guitars on delcamp.

viewtopic.php?t=64049

viewtopic.php?t=84090

viewtopic.php?t=79898

viewtopic.php?t=100176

Are those the original strings? :roll:

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:43 am

The inside of the back is mahogany. "Instrumentos para rondalla" means "instruments for carousing;" it's a lower level guitar than the guitarras de estudio, I believe. They can be very nice guitars to play.

CaseBuckeye

Post by CaseBuckeye » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am

Hahaha...

You bet your @$$ those are the strings I got the guitar with. That is why I am asking you what I am working with. All I know is the instrument is a little younger than my Dad.

So I know I have a spruce-top classical guitar.

Anything else noteworthy about the guitar? Was it a run-of-the-mill classical guitar of the 60s? Can I tell my kids that this is the Fender Squire of classical guitars? That’s fine if so. That is why I am here asking you what this thing is. Level with me.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am

It needs new strings. By all standards here, it is a low end guitar, but a low end guitar not made in china, from the 60's good stuff.

It's not a ramirez, ramirez...You can peel the back label off and never live with that stigma again hahahah.

Does that have an ebony fingerboard? It looks like a well aged spruce top. Give it fresh strings and it should be fun to play.

I don't know why people bad mouth these lesser guitars, the construction quality is generally excellent, binding, rosette etc...

The frets look like they are in great shape, so as long as you didn't pay too much it will be a great introductory guitar for classical, or nylon playing.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 am

The front is spruce.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a photo of the back. Behind the label it does look like mahogany, but the sides in one of the photos does look a bit more like rosewood than mahogany.

CaseBuckeye

Post by CaseBuckeye » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks all! Very good information! My wife will like to hear that it is a “guitar for carousing”. :shock:

Anyway, I will definitely follow the advice and add some new strings. I was afraid to start messing with things without knowing what I was working with. I think I saw one of these guitars with the same blue label on sale for several thousand on the web saying it was a Ramírez guitar. That definitely is not what my wife paid but it made me wonder if we got a diamond in the rough.

Anyway, it is a great sounding guitar even with the old strings. I can’t wait to see how it is with new strings.

Thank you all again for your time and input!

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Some of these old Ramirez guitars were actually built by very qualified luthiers in some decent shops. The problem is with these guitars is that you just never know if that was yours. But, if it sounds nice and makes you happy, then it very well could have been one of the good ones. Put some nice strings on it, tune it up and play it! That's what every guitar is made to do. Who cares the value or where it was made. People spend far too much time on what guitar they are playing and its value and not enough time playing them sometimes. Even myself, I just have too many guitars now. I waste time humidifying them all, changing strings and taking care of them. Sometimes it seems like madness. It's nice to have variety, but making music is the most important part of a guitar.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

henders

Post by henders » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 am

Rondalla refers, according to Wikipedia, to various types of ensemble folk music of Spain. One type, and this could be where the “carouse” translation comes in, involves groups of young male university students, I believe in academic garb, that stroll about, singing and accompanied by guitar.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”