Picking my first guitar....

volante5767

Picking my first guitar....

Post by volante5767 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi
leaving steel strings behind, i'm looking and dont have much of a clue...need help please.
A large store where i live have recommended a couple of guitars to suit my budget, £600, Yamaha CNX 700 or the Admira 2163 EVA E.
Both look very nice, i havent tried them yet, will in a few days when i purchase one, only thing that worries me is this, the Admira has NO reviews at all? i can find no information about this guitar even though the store experts say its a great instrument, bit confused, any help appreciated.
Thanks Guys.

lagartija

Re: Picking my first guitar....

Post by lagartija » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello Volante,
Welcome to Delcamp!

I hope you will introduce yourself at the Introduce Yourself section and then we can let you know how to get the most out of the forum.

You can also have a look at this page. It has a general introduction to the Delcamp forum.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 am

Can't help you on the Admira but you can't go wrong with Yamaha. They make good guitars all around. My first classical was a $150 Yamaha, great guitar for a beginner. There's even a fan club here for the Yamaha GC (grand concert) models. I think you'd be happy with the Yamaha if you're unable to find anything more about the Admira.
Last edited by ameriken on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 am

Neither of those are "classical" guitars, they're electric/acoustic crossovers.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 am

I might suggest you read the frequently asked questions about classical guitars thread. If you have a teacher, perhaps he or she can help you make a selection. I'm not sure what brands are available in UK, but you might also check with forum member Ramon Amira to discuss what is available within your budget. He may be able to help you figure it out.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:15 am

If you shop around, for £600 you could get a '70's Yamaha GC series.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 am

Believe it or not the Yahmaha budget flamenco guitar is pretty darn good. What sets it apart from the other cheaper student guitars is that it is actually lightly built compared to many other instruments.

It might be bright and percussive, but it has a big more projection than many budget guitars. The matte finish seems to be thinner and not all plastic like.

The first guitar should be a fun instrument that you will keep and not worry about years later when you upgrade, but it should be good enough to take lessons with.

It's silly to spend more on an instrument when you haven't even developed an ear or tone production. It takes time to get technique and produce tone, nylon is demanding.

Less money on guitar, more on lessons. later you can get a better guitar.

Truth be told a 300$ guitar is nearly just as good as a 600-700$ instrument.

Solid back and sides is not necessarily better, and in most cases in the production model guitars, doesn't even make a damn bit of difference.

dandan

Post by dandan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am

If you're in the UK it's possible to get a far better guitar on the second hand market than either of those options(or any new guitar in your price range). The difficulty as a beginner is knowing what you are looking at. I know the second hand market in the UK pretty well, if you would like help feel free to PM me.
1966 Sakazo Nakade D
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 am

I also vote none of the two..

For your money take a used all solid wood classical guitar, with a straight neck, and dont worry about the cosmetics / dings etc if that reduces the price at your pricepoint ;)
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Pavlos Gypas 1989
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 am

I also would not accept either - look elsewhere, not least because, unless you asked for an instrument of those specs, the shop perhaps hasn't advised wisely. Its normally best to go for a straightforward no frills classical because then all the value has gone into the important things (tone and playability).
Personally I have long advised Admira, partly because I have got to know the brand and where its at with the models. The new range is still a slight mystery, but basically has a much more modern sound and look than the old. I have normally been satisfied with students' Admiras either new or from the famous auction site, and suggest a look on there to see where your budget fits. The Soledad for instance was RRP c £600 and is a very fine characterful guitar. The Virtuoso and Artista and also nice and slightly different despite similar RRP. The new models are mostly given codes e.g. A5.
Ideal would be to find a store that stocks them, to see if you like the new ones, if one that has used.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

volante5767

Post by volante5767 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

dandan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am
If you're in the UK it's possible to get a far better guitar on the second hand market than either of those options(or any new guitar in your price range). The difficulty as a beginner is knowing what you are looking at. I know the second hand market in the UK pretty well, if you would like help feel free to PM me.
Very kind, Thank you.

volante5767

Post by volante5767 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Thank you all for the info, very kind, seems a a lot easier picking a steel string, this is a minefield! lol....never realized it would be so complex.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm

volante5767 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm
Thank you all for the info, very kind, seems a a lot easier picking a steel string, this is a minefield! lol....never realized it would be so complex.
May seem so, but when you get down to it its easier, because the variables are fewer. It may be that choice is restricted in your local shops compared to steel strings. But basically, assuming you want a straightforward classical in your price range; they will all be the same shape, fundamentally same neck profile, string length etc and do the same basic things the same way. The only big choice comes down to spruce vs cedar (often discussed elsewhere in these parts).
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Just an anecdote: when I switched to nylon strings not many years ago, to play Bossa/Swing in a Jazz Ensemble (amplificated), my choice was the Manuel Rodríguez Caballero 10 Cutaway "Electric Neck" (= 46 mm nut), which was cheap, had a pickup and a very nice sound BUT:
Coming from steel strings, I thought it would be self-evident to pick a guitar with a "steelstring" neck. I ordered without a test directly from the internet. Later on, when I was used to play that guitar, I realized that the main obstacle to play comfortably was this 46 mm nut. When first trying a standard 52 mm guitar - admittedly with a flat neck (Manuel Rodríguez FF Cut) - it was like a revelation: far more easy to play, I made vast improvements in very short time, which would have been impossible with the slim neck.
So my recommendation is: try as many guitars as you can - maybe a "classical" friend can help you. And try to avoid thinking "steelstring". A wide nut might look strange, but - IMO - is easier to play. The CG is a different instrument. And the first pick will not be your last. :wink:
When advising a friend for her first guitar after many years, I went to a big shop and tried everything in her budget range (around € 300.-). The guitars which impressed me most were Alhambra guitars. She picked a 1C "Señorita" model (shorter scale, 636 mm, 50 mm nut), because she's very small in height. Great sound and playability. But also the full-size models were impressingly good for that money. If you need a pickup in your guitar, I'd recommend Manuel Rodríguez C12 or A Cutaway, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers, that do a good job as well.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 pm

A question that is important is how serious will you be with the classical guitar? If this is just an experiment and you have no idea if you're going to stick with it, I wouldn't spend that much on your first guitar. You can get a perfectly serviceable guitar with good playability and tone for less than that amount. At the beginning level, having a comfortable and playable guitar is paramount. You may want to spend the extra money bringing the guitar to be set up just right so that it is not a dog to play. With that said, a Yamaha C40 could be a perfectly suitable instrument and won't cost you much if you decide to give up classical guitar. It will allow you to develop technique and repertoire so you have a better idea on what to get when you upgrade.

Another consideration is do you plan to play with strict classical guitar technique and traditional repertoire? Or do you envision being more of a crossover kind of player? If you prefer the former, then I'd go for a traditionally built classical guitar rather than a crossover nylon string guitar.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”