The sound of Ramirez 1A for the price of 4NE?

astro64

Re: The sound of Ramirez 1A for the price of 4NE?

Post by astro64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Perhaps the amazing point, given the differences between Hauser guitars and Ramirez guitars described above (and I don't disagree with that description) is that Segovia, within the limitations of the recording technology, sounds very similar on such different instruments. Room for thought... For good recordings (and different playing styles) on Ramirez guitars, listen to e.g. Kazuhito Yamashita, Christopher Parkening, and Tavi Jinariu.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm

astro64 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm
Perhaps the amazing point, given the differences between Hauser guitars and Ramirez guitars described above (and I don't disagree with that description) is that Segovia, within the limitations of the recording technology, sounds very similar on such different instruments. Room for thought... For good recordings (and different playing styles) on Ramirez guitars, listen to e.g. Kazuhito Yamashita, Christopher Parkening, and Tavi Jinariu.
I haven't had a chance to compare Segovia's recordings, but I wonder if that goes to show players style and ability in the end makes a greater difference than the guitar being used. Or it could also be that you can have Ramirez and Hauser guitars that cover a wider spectrum, and so you might be able to find a Hauser that sounds more similar to a Ramirez or a Ramirez that sounds more similar to a Hauser - and it just so happens that Segova chose guitars from either maker that sounded more similar to each other.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 pm

safesphere wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:41 pm
I am looking for a guitar with a nice sound like Ramirez 1A, but my budget is at the level of Ramirez 4NE ($2,500 - $3,000 US). I would appreciate any insight on the best ways to go.

1. I like the sound of Ramirez 1A (a.k.a. Traditional), I think it's mesmerizing. What are my options for under $3,000 to get as close to its sound as possible? (It does not have to be Ramirez.) I understand I could get a used 1A in a "good" condition for around this much, but I've no experience of buying a used guitar. There's nothing here local in Kansas City and paying thousands online without inspection seems scary.

2. Who actually makes the 4NE? I understand, this model is outsourced to some factory where this guitar may (or may not) be hand made by the factory luthier(s). Does anyone know which factory or if there is a name of the actual luthier on the label or any other details on this model?
Did you find a guitar yet?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”