help in purchase guitar to learn

nada

help in purchase guitar to learn

Post by nada » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi all,

I am lucky to find this forum :). I intend to learn guitar and I may purchase a used one from e - b a y. Is Yamaha G70D a good one to consider in the beginning?
What area of guitar should I give much attention since I will purchase it online?

Here is a picture of the guitar, I will appreciate your help!

Thank you

andreas777

Re: help in purchase guitar to learn

Post by andreas777 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:45 pm

I wonder that nobody has responded to the questions yet.
The Yamaha guitar is an entry level guitar, almost 50 years old, with laminated spruce top and laminated maple back and sides. Basically it's a valid guitar for a beginner, and imho many of these old guitars are better than new guitars of the same price level. Of course it's always a questions how much money you want to spend, and which alternatives you have. You wrote that you are from Yemen, and if you still live there then the number of alternatives might be limited. Back to the Yamaha: On the picture the frets look a bit dark, and you should check/ask if this is only on the picture or if they are dirty or rusty. You might also ask if the tuners are OK and about the action of the strings.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm not a luthier but I've seen a few old guitars ... certainly ask and get a straight answer, that all six of the tuners turn 360 degrees happily. If that is the same guitar you are interested in (and not a stock picture) it looks little used, but the tuner gears can get worn with use over time, especially the 6th string if its a fairly advanced player, and usually that would mean replacing the whole set of tuners if even one of them refuses to work.
Another thing to add re the frets, ask and get a clear answer that if you rub your hand pressing along the side of the neck where the frets come to the edge, that none of the frets stick out.
I would ask for pictures of the back and sides of the guitar, and get a clear assurance that there are no cracks in any of the woodwork joins, especially where the neck joins the body, and around the headstock.
Is it a private seller or a shop? Will they accept a return if there is a problem? Certainly, Yamaha tend to make well built, reliable instruments, if at that kind of age you are wise to ask questions about it.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:02 pm

The strings on that guitar look pretty beat! So, you are looking at around $10 for a new set of strings at least to get this guitar playable. Plus, the cost of the guitar and shipping.

If you just want a cheap guitar to learn on and after you pay the expenses listed above, can't you just go to a local music store or search on e - b a y and pick out a brand new Yamaha C40 or something? You can usually get them for under $150(I know I have seen them on sale for much cheaper too). So, take out strings and shipping and you likely aren't too far off of what you want to pay for an old used guitar.

Plus, from that old guitar, you don't know what the fret wear might be like, you don't know the condition of the tuners, you don't know if the neck is still straight. Plenty of things could put you way over the cost of a new guitar. Old guitars are nice if you like to collect guitars, or if they are worth investing money to fix them up. BUT, these old factory guitars are generally just good for the fire when they get worn (unless you want to practice fixing a guitar and have nothing better to do).

Just my opinion
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:37 am

Nada, what is your budget? That would help us make better recommendations. Are you left handed or right handed? How big is your hand Span from thumb to pinky ? How tall, etc. Are you. One of the luthier's posted a thread on how to pick what size scale guitar you might need.

If you can, get a standard 650mm scale guitar with a 51or preferably a 52mm nut. This will yield a lot of possibilities, at least more than looking for a short scale or left handed guitar. The Yamaha that you mentioned is 658mm scale. If you are a smaller person with smaller hands, this might be too big for you. I'm 6ft 2in and anything over 650 mm is a stretch to me, as in it is more difficult to play.

As you will likely have to order a guitar without trying it first, I might suggest that you get a NEW guitar. And you may even want to get one with a truss rod. You may want to read the FAQ (frequently asked questions) about classical guitar thread in the Luthier's section.

Whatever guitar you get you are going to need a case that has a good seal and humidifiers for the case, if your relative humidity is less than 40%. Low humidity can cause the wood to shrink and crack. Shrinkage is also responsible for fret sprout, where the frets poke out the sides of the fingerboard.

If it isn't possible to control the humidity of the environment that the guitar is going to be in, you may want to get a guitar that is made of laminates, including the top. But if you can keep your guitar in the 40% to 60% range, then by all means get one with a solid top as it will sound better.

nada

Post by nada » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 am

Thank you all for your insightful answers. Actually, I purchased the guitar by 126$!, you answered very late.
I couldn't find a good product in the local market here. I also was trying to purchase Yamaha C40 but couldn't find a shipping to my place. I have small hands indeed, I don't know if this will be a problem.
I may get the guitar on Sun, I hope it will be fine. I don't want to spend more money to fix it :(.

Regards

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Well, your guitar is better than a C40. Hope you get along with the scale length. Well, congrats. New guitar day is a lot of fun!

nada

Post by nada » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Well, your guitar is better than a C40. Hope you get along with the scale length. Well, congrats. New guitar day is a lot of fun!
Thank you :). I received the guitar but returned it back as it costs much with the customs and I noticed it is larger than me :).
I will look for a new guitar here in Jordan, I may go with Yamaha c40!.

Regards

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm

nada wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Thank you :). I received the guitar but returned it back as it costs much with the customs and I noticed it is larger than me :).
I will look for a new guitar here in Jordan, I may go with Yamaha c40!.

Regards
A c40 would be an ideal guitar, for a full size student guitar. My wife is only 5 ft 1in tall and she plays a 3/4 size Yamaha., which has a smaller neck, nut, and body. It is also shorter from nut to bridge. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 am

Sorry, I tried to attach a picture of my wife and her guitar. From the bottom of the guitar, to the top of the headstock, the 3/4 size Yamaha comes up to her hip from the floor. In the “Luthier’s” section, there is a post on how to select a guitar based on scale length and the size of the player. You might want to look at it.

If the 658 mm scale Yamaha you sent back is almost as big as you are, I suspect that a C40 will still be too big for you. It’s only 8mm shorter than the one you returned. Hope this helps.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”