Best near-concert guitar for under $3,000??

ChrisD

Best near-concert guitar for under $3,000??

Post by ChrisD » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Hello, all.
New to the site, from Colorado Springs, CO. Looking for advice.

What's the closest I can get to a concert-level guitar for under $3,000? I'm guessing I should stick to used, but having no warranty makes me hesitate. Last classical guitar I bought was in 1987. Hirade Model 7. Nice and sturdy, but I've abused it over the years (unintentionally). Anyway, time to finally upgrade to something I can perform with and feel good about.

Was looking at a new Loriente Clarita vs a 10-year-old Sofia, very good condition. Both around the same price. What would you do? Also looked at a Hermanos Camps CL-20-C. 1 year old for $1900. Beautiful guitar.

I love the look of the Cervantes CL-IR. All good reviews on them.

What about Ramirez RB??

Too many options, too little knowledge. I don't live anywhere near high-end guitar shops, so I have to depend on reviews and good return policies.

Cheers!
Chris

hatalap

Re: Best near-concert guitar for under $3,000??

Post by hatalap » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by a concert level guitar. Many concert players have a matthias dammann guitar, but you won't get one of those for close to $3k. You may be able to get a double top guitar for around $3k. I think you'd be better finding a good store going in a playing a bunch of different guitars and see what the best one you like for what you can afford. There are also some very nice guitars here on the forum.

Have fun!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Recently got an Amalio Burguet 1A, the builder calls it a 'concert' model, or semi-professional. They sell for under $3000 at Dulcet Guitars.

Yeah, had the same problem in Denver, there aren't any good shops around here with any mid to higher end models any more. Mostly the under $500 models.
Last edited by ameriken on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 pm

If you have ever attended a masterclass then you may have heard a concert performer play a student's instrument. I heard Olivier Chiasson do so. All in attendance remarked at how much his flawless technique brought up the sound of an inexpensive guitar. I don't think that a well selected $3000 instrument would be much of a limitation at all.

Kp

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 pm

@ChrisD
I have played none of the guitars you mentioned. :-) But this is the internet so I will offer my valuable opinion. Of the ones you mentioned the Camps is the one that caught my eye.

However, I suspect a good used guitar might be worthwhile. I am sending you a PM.

p.s. Here is another of our members playing a Camps Cl20 (cedar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAzN0w3JWG4

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:37 am

You don't need a warranty for a used guitar. If it is several years old and if the setup is good, neck is good, you have room on the saddle to adjust action up or down, it means the guitar is stable and as long as you keep it at the right humidity level, odds are it will stay that way. What would the warranty need to cover?

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 am

The Ramirez 4NE, which is still within your budget, is a very nice guitar. You would likely find one used for a decent price if you look around. Ramirez also has some new models coming out, but I don't know much about them yet. If you are really into new guitars, it would be something to think about if you like that "Ramirez" tone.

Otherwise, there are PLENTY of good guitars to be had for under $3000, even luthier made guitars from the lesser known luthiers. That budget could easily get you one of Joseph Redman's (a member here) student guitars and you could likely even fit in an upgrade or two and still be under budget. I have heard good things about his guitars from other forum members.

You would be very close to a Robert England guitar too, last I heard his prices (another member here). Although he is in Canada, I'm sure he can figure something out to ship his guitars into the USA.

Otherwise, I would look around where you are local to and you are bound to find something that is good used that you can pick up that is within a few hours drive.

You have a pretty big budget listed to get you started. So, although you are a little bit limited for the higher name guitars, there is PLENTY to choose from. Check out the used section on the board here and a number of guitars come up in your price range. From my experience, the members here are all easy to work with and share the love of guitars too. I have never heard of anyone being "ripped off" or misled, from what I know.

Good luck!
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Its a buyers market son, I've seen some great used concert guitars for sale on this forum in the $3,000 range. Keep your eyes open they are out there. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:09 pm

I have 2 or 3 concert guitars for sale in that price range,
Ron
can send PM if interested

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm

What is critical here is defining what you personally mean by "concert" guitar. This term is overly misused and abused in the CG world. I've played a tonne of guitars with a "concert" designation that I thought were really mediocre and over priced. I think it would be far more useful for you to tell us what deficiencies you find in your current guitar, and what characteristics you are looking for in a potential upgrade that would best suit your needs. What are the top tonal qualities you are looking for? What settings will this guitar be primarily used in?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 pm

If you are really wanting a new guitar and a warranty, etc, you should consider a Cordoba which you can find anywhere. I have one I paid $800 for and its shockingly good for that price. They have a high end model for $1500 or $2K I think, well under $3K which should make you very happy. Barring that, get a used one, you don't need a warranty, just be sure its in good shape when you get it and keep it in the case (and humidified), when you aren't playing it.

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 am

Thank you, Charles. That is good advice. I'm leaning toward the Cervantes Rodriguez Concert model, based on a number of great reviews. I just need to get one other person on board. ;-)

CT20

Post by CT20 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:41 am

Check out Francisco Navarro guitars. Surprised no one has mentioned them yet.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 am

If I were buying on line, without the possibility of playing the guitar myself, I would buy used for sure. Probably on this forum. You're far more likely to get a better guitar this way.

There's a Jason Wolverton listed here for $3,500.00 that looks tempting.

However if you've played the Cervantes model and like it, then you're set. I've never played one of these so I have no opinion.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:14 pm

A Cervantes Rodriguez or Ramirez 4NE would definitely fit the bill. You'll get great projection, sustain and tone that performs well above its price point. I haven't played them side by side in the same room, but I imagine the Cervantes will have a thicker sound with a stronger midrange, while the 4NE will have better balance and clarity while also being warm and lively. I'd also choose the 4NE for playability if you have smaller hands.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”