Best near-concert guitar for under $3,000??

ChrisD

Re: Best near-concert guitar for under $3,000??

Post by ChrisD » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 am
ChrisD wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 am
Arkheospruce wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:23 pm
Hi.. That is concert guitar specifications: Mark is not important...
Solid Top - Cedar - Selected Canadian Cedar
Spruce -Selected German (Engelman) Spruce
Neck: Honduran Cedar Carbon Fiber Reinforced (Ebony; for Studio Guitars)
Bridge: Rosewood ( Brasilian)
Sides & Bottom: Brasilian Rosewood (may be East Indian)
Fingerboard: Ebony
Thiny Varnishig & Goma lace finishing
High quality craftmanship...
Matching Rosette Design Soundhole&Bindings
Note: Ramirez 4ne is a studio gutar. Not concert guitar.
Good luck...
Thank you for the information! I think the PB M10 checks most of those boxes. I'll find out how it sounds in a few days!
Unfortunately virtually all of those so called ticks in the boxes are just plain wrong. I could pretty much give you many examples of very high quality expensive 'concert' (what an awful term) guitars that contradict virtually every single one of those boxes. Sorry to have to say it but it's just plain nonsense. You simply cannot generalise in that manner.
Thank you for the insight, Michael. I take all advice into consideration, as I am very unversed in this realm so far. Since I have no access to higher-end models, the best I can do at this point is gather recommendations. If they are similar from multiple sources, then I think it is a good bet. I figure the Model 10 is a good starting point for me, as the reviews on them are quiet universally glowing. Also, I am fortunate in that I've come across a great deal of recordings using this model on youtube. More than most others, anyway. I am not set on it as my 'last' guitar, however. As I learn more, I may find myself taking another direction in the future. For now, I feel it is a good guitar for me, which will be confirmed in a few days. I'll let you know, if you're interested!

bensonm

Post by bensonm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm

For what it's worth I have a Cervantes Rodriguez Concert and think that it's great. More importantly, my teacher says it is a great guitar, and it certainly sounds like one when he plays it. Good luck with your search.
Michael L. Benson
Cervantes Rodriguez Concert
Aria AC60

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 am
I am amazed? Where do you live that Guitar Center actually had 12 classical guitars in stock? My Guitar Center never has more than a few in their “Acoustic Room”. Mines in Eugene, Oregon by the way.
In Rockville, MD...it was a few years ago though. Maybe moot point as it seems GC is going belly up.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce
2017 Antonius Mueller Cedar

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 pm

So, the Paulino Bernabe Model 10 I got is a dream to play. I think I'm hooked on the PB strings, as well. Probably cut my buzzes by 2/3's over my Hirade, and that's before getting accustomed to it. So loud. My kids thought I had a PA system. Main challenge now is to play softly, as everything I do I interpret as loud. This causes me to ensure my right hand is relaxed enough. Big ol' basses and pretty descent trebles (cedar). Mid range gets lost a bit, but I'm not ruling out my playing style as a cause of that.

James at Zavaletas Guitars was very helpful to ensure I got it set up the way I like it. I'll be keeping this for a few years at least, until I get more established. Taking lessons again has paid off hugely, too, already. Thanks for all the advice. Though it seemed I didn't take any of it, all input helped me narrow down my choices, which really is the hard part of all of this.

CT20

Post by CT20 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am

Congratulations! Just over $2000 and happy is better than just under $3000. So you have money to keep taking
lessons to get the full benefit of the great guitar you've got. Enjoy!

eno

Post by eno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:12 am
Well, I went for a 2013 near-mint Paulino Bernabe cedar M10! Should arrive in a few days. Just over $2k. Saw many videos, and its the brightest sounding cedar I've heard. Crisp. Seems to lend itself well to standards and contemporary pieces. Multiple sources stated it would fill a concert hall. Loud and bold, but sings when you feather it a bit. I'll let you know my impressions. I'll sell it on this site if I don't like it. Lol
Good choice, Bernabes are simply magic! Mine is the best guitar I ever played. When you have a chance try one of the older ones made by Bernabe Sr (PB stamp on the label, made before 2007), they are more expensive than M-series but the sound will just blow you away.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Congratulations! the M10 is a superb instrument. I have an M5 and M50, both fantastic in their own way. The latter is an amazing piece that gives me such hard time to control, so many nuances and overtones, but so sensitive and demanding at the same time. It is really a challenge for technique improvement. You should never give yours away, you will never find anything comparable at this price!

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 pm
Congratulations! the M10 is a superb instrument. I have an M5 and M50, both fantastic in their own way. The latter is an amazing piece that gives me such hard time to control, so many nuances and overtones, but so sensitive and demanding at the same time. It is really a challenge for technique improvement. You should never give yours away, you will never find anything comparable at this price!
Thank you for the confirmation, Nikos! I think I will take your advice and hold onto it. I will dream about M50 for a few years before considering it. They are hard to find used, as I'm sure most owners would never part with them.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:25 pm

CT20 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am
Congratulations! Just over $2000 and happy is better than just under $3000. So you have money to keep taking
lessons to get the full benefit of the great guitar you've got. Enjoy!
Thanks!

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Why would you consider the Loriente an upgrade? The old Japanese guitars are over achievers.

If I had known now, what I know about guitar playing, I would have found a highly credible teacher. Spend that 3k on lessons and study, focus...buying a better guitar doesn't make any sense.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm

I would look at the guitars being made by Wolfgang Jellinghous, he makes several models. The ones i have seen are flawlessly made, with high quality master grade woods, and even french polished. These are not factory guitars, he works with four luthiers who hand-build each guitar. I saw him at NAMM recently, and he has a Madrid model (read-- Ramirez), Hauser, Torres, Damian (double top) among others. He personally travels the world selecting woods. The spruce I saw at NAMM a Damian model was among the best I have seen. He told me that he gets it from Switzerland from a man who cuts the logs during the new moon when the sap in the tree is at its lowest ebb.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:00 am

That is an interesting recommendation, given the original poster already bought a different guitar from you, it seems (read further above)....

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 am

I would vote for guitars by Wolfgang Jellinghaus DBA Milestones of Music. He is German luthier, former partner of Kenny Hill. Milestone of Music of is small workshop-- with four luthiers, and assistant, and bookkeeper--that builds traditional handmade guitars, and offes a nice selection of models-- made with master grade woods, generally under $3000, and French polished to boot.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 pm

astro64 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:00 am
That is an interesting recommendation, given the original poster already bought a different guitar from you, it seems (read further above)....
Yes I recommended the Paulino Bernabe model 10 in this price range, but this model has been discontinued. The replacement model 15 is above $3000.

James

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm

I tried a spruce Bernabe 10 and a cedar-top 30 many years ago in two different stores. Very nice guitars, both of them. The 30 was a big sounding, energetic guitar, not so much refined as energetic and full of character. The 10 was more refined, as I recall, but not as fast out of the gate, so to speak.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”