Need help on buying an inexpensive cedar top. cordoba? kremona? manuel rodriguez?

Orcas_

Need help on buying an inexpensive cedar top. cordoba? kremona? manuel rodriguez?

Post by Orcas_ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 am

I'm a student and also play classical and mostly flamenco in restaurants quite a bit. My flamenco guitar is very nice although I feel that I should really look into something that is a bit more suited for classical repertoire, as well as something I can take to school with my that I wont have to worry about damaging too much, although I still do intent to take as much care of it as I can.

This past semester I've used a Cordoba c3m which I bought used at guitar center for a little over 100 bucks and honestly, for the price the tone of this guitar actually impressed me a bit. I do find it a little less comfortable to play though as the action near the nut is just a tad higher than what I'm used to. I intend to eventually spend a grand or so on a much nicer cedar top once I do more research but for now I just want to upgrade my c3m.

I went to GC today and tried out a cordoba C5 (I have somebody offering my one for 200 used) and the Kremona Soloist s65c for 399 (371 after tax with coupon) and I have to admit, I liked the Kremona a bit more than the Cordoba, although given that I'd pay 171 more I don't know if the difference was that significant.

On the other hand, somebody else offered to sell me a Manuel Rodriguez c1 guitar for 200 and although I haven't tried it out just yet I've heard from people that it's a good guitar.

Now, ultimately I'll probably decide on my own after playing each one and trusting my ear on it, however if anyone has any experiences at all or any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

My current options are a Cordoba C5 ($200 used) a Manuel Rodriguez C1 ($200 used) or a Kremona Soloist S65C ($371 new)

George Crocket

Re: Need help on buying an inexpesive cedar top. cordoba? kremona? manuel rodriguez?

Post by George Crocket » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:30 am

Hi Orcas_. Welcome to the Forum. You will find our members quite helpful. But to start we need you to post an introduction here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Laudiesdad69

Re: Need help on buying an inexpensive cedar top. cordoba? kremona? manuel rodriguez?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:21 am

The C5 isn't going to be any better than your C3M. So no dice there. The Rodriguez can be had for 200 dollars used, not a bargain, there are several for sale. The Kremona is OK, but not a bargain. Since you are dealing with guitar center, why don't you have them order you in a Lucero LC200S. The fret work is better than the Cordoba, and also has a truss rod. Solid Cedar top. Laminated rosewood back and sides. 52mm nut. And they come practically set up. I bought two of them, one for me as a travel guitar, and the other for my son and his wife to take lessons on.

The action on both came at 3.5mm/3.2mm at the twelfth. And the intonation was spot-on. I got mine on sale at $200 brand new. They are regularly $299.00. But you can snag one for less with a coupon. Fit and finish is much better than the Cordobas, or the Rodriguez IMO. They are great.

Orcas_

Re: Need help on buying an inexpensive cedar top. cordoba? kremona? manuel rodriguez?

Post by Orcas_ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:21 am
The C5 isn't going to be any better than your C3M. So no dice there. The Rodriguez can be had for 200 dollars used, not a bargain, there are several for sale. The Kremona is OK, but not a bargain. Since you are dealing with guitar center, why don't you have them order you in a Lucero LC200S. The fret work is better than the Cordoba, and also has a truss rod. Solid Cedar top. Laminated rosewood back and sides. 52mm nut. And they come practically set up. I bought two of them, one for me as a travel guitar, and the other for my son and his wife to take lessons on.

The action on both came at 3.5mm/3.2mm at the twelfth. And the intonation was spot-on. I got mine on sale at $200 brand new. They are regularly $299.00. But you can snag one for less with a coupon. Fit and finish is much better than the Cordobas, or the Rodriguez IMO. They are great.
Thanks a lot for the respond it’s extremely helpful. I’ve honestly neglected the Luceros because I have heard them be praised as much as say, cordobas, although they do seem to come set up well.

I checked out the Manuel Rodriguez from my friend and honestly it’s a great sounding guitar, but the construction seems a little poor. I don’t know if the bridge was just placed too towards the soundhole but the intonation On high E is screwed. The octave of high E was showing up sharp.

I do enjoy a nice tone. I do gig and when I do flamenco my gk pro is perfect, but do you think a Lucero would fare well for performing classical repertoire?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 am

The only model that they have that is of true classical spec, is the LC200S. The rest, with the possible exception of the bubinga or ziricote models, have 50mm nuts. I have one and for the price it is awesome. It’s better than the C1, C3m, C5, and the tone was just as good as my old C9. The frets were all even where on the Cordobas, there were a couple of frets that had to be filed down, and the Luceros frets weren’t sticking out past the fretboard. 52mm nut. True Classical spec guitar. Solid top. It will perform well for intermediate to advanced CG players. They are made in China.

Do a google search on Lucero LC200S and several guitars for sale will come up. One seller has theirs priced at $269.99,some $299.00. I paid $199.00 new for mine. The toughest piece that I know and can play is Bach’s Bouree, and I can play it equally as well on on the Lucero as I can on my Ramirez.

Don’t judge the tone unless it has the D’Addario strings in it from the factory. One of the two that I bought (gave one as a gift) had crummy strings on it from the factory. They were Bronze, which to me always sounds dull. If you want great tone out of it, try a set of Ramirez med tension strings with carbon G. They sounded great on mine. Way different than the D’Addario. I think that they are great for playing classical repertoire.

Orcas_

Post by Orcas_ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:17 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 am
The only model that they have that is of true classical spec, is the LC200S. The rest, with the possible exception of the bubinga or ziricote models, have 50mm nuts. I have one and for the price it is awesome. It’s better than the C1, C3m, C5, and the tone was just as good as my old C9. The frets were all even where on the Cordobas, there were a couple of frets that had to be filed down, and the Luceros frets weren’t sticking out past the fretboard. 52mm nut. True Classical spec guitar. Solid top. It will perform well for intermediate to advanced CG players. They are made in China.

Do a google search on Lucero LC200S and several guitars for sale will come up. One seller has theirs priced at $269.99,some $299.00. I paid $199.00 new for mine. The toughest piece that I know and can play is Bach’s Bouree, and I can play it equally as well on on the Lucero as I can on my Ramirez.

Don’t judge the tone unless it has the D’Addario strings in it from the factory. One of the two that I bought (gave one as a gift) had crummy strings on it from the factory. They were Bronze, which to me always sounds dull. If you want great tone out of it, try a set of Ramirez med tension strings with carbon G. They sounded great on mine. Way different than the D’Addario. I think that they are great for playing classical repertoire.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m gonna go to GC and check it out, looks like they’re 224 with a coupon which honestly is not bad.

Orcas_

Post by Orcas_ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:54 am

Would you know much about the lc230s? That’s the bubinga one. How’s bubinga compare to Indian rosewood?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Orcas_ wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:54 am
Would you know much about the lc230s? That’s the bubinga one. How’s bubinga compare to Indian rosewood?
I don’t know about the nut width on the Bubinga one, but the LC230S compares to the LC200S, in that on both, the backs and sides are laminated. Just pick the one that sounds best and looks best to you. Both have solid tops and the back and sides really aren’t responsible for much of the character of the sound when laminates are used. I guess the top is where most of the sound comes from. Just pick whichever one you like.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”