Request for Advice on a Takamine

PeteJ

Request for Advice on a Takamine

Post by PeteJ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm looking at buying a s/h Takamine EC132SC Classical Guitar with cool tube pickup. Does anyone have any comments? It looks just what I want but I haven't tried it yet. I know it's not a proper CG but I thought it might be okay to ask about it. I'm struggling to find a reference to this model number or find the price when new so maybe it's discontinued. Has anyone here played one? Thanks.

sxedio

Re: Request for Advice on a Takamine

Post by sxedio » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:19 pm

The takamine website says it is discontinued (http://www.takamine.com/EC132SC)
Isn't the tube fragile? I'd be worried to have a guitar with a built in tube preamp. They also say that they drive it at low voltage so it doesn't get hot, so doesn't it then become entirely linear and has no difference from solid state?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:00 pm

My teacher really likes the Takamine and Hirade range so its not surprising that there are several over here. He has used a TH5C and has had a few, some with the cool tube and some older ones. I have always admired them, I think of them as a real working musicians instrument. They have always sounded good to me with or without the cool tube, through an AER. He has never had a problem with a valve as far as I know. My favourite is an older TH5C which he has owned for a while now. It is a true classical guitar and not a crossover, I'm not really sure why these guitars are sometimes looked down on. I have heard them over the years in class, in small venue gigs and in concert. I know he prefers to use an English luthier guitar in concert, but in class I think the old Hirade has a greater variety of tone, always pleasing. I have heard a couple of the 132s which sounded better than my own TH5, to an extent there are always variations with models. They are available from the big T German website. I'm not sure why the distributor has dropped them from the list, possibly just rationalisation??? It may be that I just don't see many really good guitars over here or maybe I am just biased....
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

rikroberts

Post by rikroberts » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I use a 132SC for my wedding and event gigs, straight into a Roland Cube amp. If you go to my website, you will see some videos I made with it. www.guitarmaestro.co.uk

It really serves its purpose and beats other electro guitars I've tried. It doesn't shine acoustically very much, but plugged in it's great. I use it quite often for teaching too. The action is fairly low for a Classical, but that makes it ideal for cross-over stuff. I play Classical repertoire on it too, but have to be careful to avoid 6th string snapping with my LH thumb etc.
Last edited by rikroberts on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

An industry standard for years...hard to go wrong
More guitars than 1 boy could ever possibly need

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50 pm

It seems it's definitely worth taking the trip to try it out, and that was what I needed to know. Many thanks for the replies.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

It seems it's definitely worth taking the trip to try it out, and that was what I needed to know. Many thanks for the replies.

Rik - You make it sound great. The first acoustic video sounds noticeably better but then it would. Nice playing. Oddly the gtr I'm after is in Bolton, so small world.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”